What does it mean to be an INFJ? | INFJ Forum

What does it mean to be an INFJ?

Odyne

===========
Banned
Aug 19, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
As people who identify with the INFJ type, can you tell us what it means to be an INFJ?

Many tend to refer to their actions and say "I'm just being my INFJ self ^_^"..well, what does that mean? To be your INFJ self?

Who are you as an I.N.F.J?

Curious Odyne is curious. :smile:

i put a lot of emphasis on people's emotions and on my own personal vision of the world.
my infj self is like a big black hole. i dont know where it goes. i also dont put capital letters because its more mysterious.

Reactions: Saru Inc and Odyne
For me, being INFJ is about compassion, empathy and anticipating the needs of others.

Knowing I am INFJ allows me to be more accepting of myself and my need for being alone.

I think when people make that comment about being their INFJ self, what they are really doing is accepting themselves for the qualities we have which are typically unpopular or different as compared to the standards of our society, such as needing introvert time and caring what happens to others, even though it may not affect us personally. We say these things to other INFJs because we know they will understand.

For a time I was filtering a lot of what I did through a shallow understanding of the JCFs INFJs have, such as "There's that Fe again, oh well," or "Inferior Se gets me again, how could I do such a thing?" Nearly everything applicable went through the "INFJ filter" per se. I had to actively stop myself from doing this a lot, because I was becoming defined by my perception of my MBTI type.
There are times I sit back and go, "Geez, that's some [MBTI type] right there," but I try to make sure my understanding of MBTI is more for self-improvement than anything else in daily life.
That was more of a personal thing about how I identified too much with the archetype though, less to do with INFJ specifically.

TO BE AN INFJ? HMMM.

I THINK ID HAVE TO SAY IT PROBABLY HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH CONNECTING ALL THE THINGS IN THIS WORLD TOGETHER. I TEND TO USE CRITICAL THINKING TO GET THE JOB DONE, BUT AFTERWARDS I LIKE TO SIT DOWN AND GO WITH THE GROUP. I ALSO ENJOY SOCIAL PROPRIETY ON OCCASION.

anyways.

Being an INFJ doesn't really mean anything to me. Not with this type. I enjoy it because now I can put names to faces. But really, I mean. Yea.

It means I am human and poses one of many unique and fascinating personality types in the world and that I happen to share similarities and preferences with other people as well so that I don’t have to spend my life thinking I am insane and alone. :p Besides this it just means to me that of all the personalities types, this one matches my preferences most and it’s great to know that I am not the only one in the world who would rather stay at home and read a book than go to bar to hit on chicks. Though I do find it fulfilling to have scantily clad women who are so drunk they can barely stand yet alone talk try to have a conversation with me over the music so that I hear every third word she is saying. There is just something about the whole bar scene that just screams high class but call me crazy, I rather enjoy a nice night in with a good book. *shrug*

As people who identify with the INFJ type, can you tell us what it means to be an INFJ?

Many tend to refer to their actions and say "I'm just being my INFJ self ^_^"..well, what does that mean? To be your INFJ self?

Who are you as an I.N.F.J?

Curious Odyne is curious. :smile:

[MENTION=1579]Odyne[/MENTION]; is almost always curious, one of the fun sides of Odyne.

I view the classification as an alternate measure to assist in explaining some of the why's of me, though when I think of myself as a soul and human being there is so much more than the simple classification. I'm sure I've changed here and there, as a human tends to. My gut tells me I'd probably still be classified similarly to when I first took the test though, as I would likely not change many if any of my answers. I honestly tend to forget about the classifications when I'm interacting with people, just because I don't want to place a label on them. I may look it up as I build a good feel for who they are to help fill in some gaps and assist in interaction, but this isn't a necessity...only a fun way of trying to learn more about people.

Reactions: Odyne
Being an INFJ means that you have a cognitive preference for left brained functions. An INFJ is Ni dominant with Fe auxiliary, with tertiary Ti and inferior Se. Nothing more, nothing less :thumb:

Reactions: Odyne
It means I'm CURIOUS, seemingly random, analytical, hypersensitive, stubborn, prideful, hopelessly romantic, artistic, musically inclined, mind for trivia, quietly thoughtful, passionate, FUN, fearless, poet, amazing writer/editor, introspective, selfless, workhorse, independent, charismatic, warm, charming, FRICKING HILARIOUS, pensive... and DRUNK.

To be an INFJ is to live in perpetual disconnect. It isn't necessarily a bad experience, more of a knowledge that your perception of reality is quite different from the people around you. You can see people's hearts before they ever speak, you can know the honesty or malice in any face, you can shirk into your bubble of solitude overwhelmed by the strife in the world, and you can want so much to help people that it breaks your heart you can never help them all. To be an INFJ is an endeavor only we will only know. I venture to say, only other INFJs have an unspoken and yet profound understanding of this type.

i put a lot of emphasis on people's emotions and on my own personal vision of the world.
my infj self is like a big black hole. i dont know where it goes. i also dont put capital letters because its more mysterious.

yourtypographyisnotnearlyasdeepmysteriousorsymbolicoftheinneragonyandexperienceoflivingasaninfj

{spacebarsaresomainstream}

Oh yeah... yeah, Mysterious, always, and then the negative aspects... everything you tell me breaks my heart... feeling your pain so deeply, I'd rather die than hear the words that keep falling from your lips... always anticipating the 10,000 ways you're planning to back stab me & use me for your own personal gain... wanting someone to hold you so much you can't breathe, but being too scared to let them anywhere near you... no trust, isolation, ALONE. No sleep... punishing yourself for not being lovable, and easy to get to know... whatever... I'm tired...

To be an INFJ is to live in perpetual disconnect. It isn't necessarily a bad experience, more of a knowledge that your perception of reality is quite different from the people around you. You can see people's hearts before they ever speak, you can know the honesty or malice in any face, you can shirk into your bubble of solitude overwhelmed by the strife in the world, and you can want so much to help people that it breaks your heart you can never help them all. To be an INFJ is an endeavor only we will only know. I venture to say, only other INFJs have an unspoken and yet profound understanding of this type.

For me, being INFJ is about compassion, empathy and anticipating the needs of others.

Knowing I am INFJ allows me to be more accepting of myself and my need for being alone.

I think when people make that comment about being their INFJ self, what they are really doing is accepting themselves for the qualities we have which are typically unpopular or different as compared to the standards of our society, such as needing introvert time and caring what happens to others, even though it may not affect us personally. We say these things to other INFJs because we know they will understand.
This^

I am honestly struggling to put it into words. I may be back to add to this.

Living with what you've got, received, won, lost, paid, gifted, in life? :|

Alternatively, a Job Class.

You've all made some nice observations and descriptions of what it is 'like' to be INFJ, but not really what it 'is' to be INFJ. I shall explain in future posts - reality beckons.
I certainly would NOT want to be anything else!! All those other types - poor, limited fellow human beings - will never be able to reach up and touch the heavens - feel the entirety of the universe pass through them like the whisper of a cool summer breeze !! Been at it a long time & DIGGIN' IT.

It's almost like a permanent smile for me. A powerful imagination with a mind that's open to almost any and all possibilities life holds. A deep trek through the wilderness of life. Watching as it goes by uncontrollably. A journey to improve upon myself and to understand others. Introverted bliss.

As an INFJ, I'm just another person who has different qualities just like everyone else does. I like being this type, it's enjoyable, through the good times and the bad.

I think it has something to do with being rare, better then everybody and possibly psychic. Oh and able to read people better then they know themselves.

Umm, YES, what [MENTION=1451]Billy[/MENTION] said!

yourtypographyisnotnearlyasdeepmysteriousorsymbolicoftheinneragonyandexperienceoflivingasaninfj

{spacebarsaresomainstream}
youNeedToReadBetween the Lines............

Line 1
achievement unlocked: found a hidden meaning!
Line 2