What do you want in a romantic partner? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What do you want in a romantic partner?

:D Was I being too idealistic again? I certainly hope to meet someone like this.

Heh, nooo I didn't mean it like that.
I meant that I found myself agreeing with everything you listed out. I've never found someone like that before.

Really, I was remarking on how I'd like to meet someone that's similar to you with regard to what they want in a romantic partner.

Heh, nooo I didn't mean it like that.
I meant that I found myself agreeing with everything you listed out. I've never found someone like that before.

Really, I was remarking on how I'd like to meet someone that's similar to you with regard to what they want in a romantic partner.

No worries, I got that. :) I haven't really met anyone like that either but I still have hope that maybe someday I will. I have realistic expectations but I love to spice them up with a little idealism.

After thinking about this for a while and looking at my life thus far, I could honestly say I do not really know. I know what I would like but just those qualities alone will not lead usually a romantic relationship but deep friendship.

It depends very heavily on how we vibe off each other.

my ideal mate ^^

- gentle
- intelligent
- understanding
- fun
- appreciated
- normal looking
- artistic
- imaginative

Are looks really all that important? Do you want someone extremely attractive, about the same looks as yourself, or ugly? Do they have to be fit?

No, honestly, looks aren't as important as you would think. I do need to feel attracted to the person but I've found that if they push the right buttons, I will be, regardless. They'd don't have to be fit either...I'd prefer them to be a healthy weight though.

What emotional traits would you need from a romantic partner? Honesty? Loyalty? Empathy? Do you want public disclosure of intimacy? Do they have to hold hands with you, kiss you, and hug you all the time?
One thing I feel I really need, is a bunch of physical affection and intimacy. I'm not sure why, but I feel like that would be their way of confirming that they truly do desire me and that I'm doing things right. I also have a bunch of that to give and I want to receive it as well. I basically need for them to be supportive of me, and to be able to get me into a relaxed mood. To make me laugh and to keep their heart open at all times. Someone who craves closeness of every kind.

How social should they be? Do you want someone to stay home with you all day? To go out on the town as a couple all the time? To join clubs and social events?
More social than I am, for sure. I want them to have their own social life but would drop it all and spend the day with me at home if I needed them to.

What financial state should they be in? Do you want them to make more or less money that you? Does it really matter? Is there a minimal amount that you expect a romantic partner to make? Does it matter where they work?
I guess it doesn't really matter as long as they have an income that is able to support the both of us even while I myself would be supporting the both of us also? It would be nice to be money conscious and save a bunch in case we want to do something with it later or in case we need it for an emergency.

How important is their spirituality? Do they have to be the same religion as you? Can they be non spiritual or atheistic?
I'd prefer them to believe whatever I believe at the time (not sure what I believe as of yet).
How sexual do they have to be? Do they have to have a high sex drive or a low one? Do they have to have conventional tastes or a little bit of kinkiness? Do you want it to be a surprise or laid out on the table?
I'd prefer a higher sex drive in them...o_o Conventional tastes should be the main thing although a bit of kinkiness I guess is okay. Most of the time, laid out on the table. I'd like them to surprise me with extreme passion and intensity every now and then.

Last edited:
Are looks really all that important? Not really Do you want someone extremely attractive, about the same looks as yourself, or ugly? I disregard physical features quite often in favour of a great personality Do they have to be fit? I'm in love with a short, balding fat guy. He makes me happy :)

What emotional traits would you need from a romantic partner? Honesty? Above all else. Loyalty? I demand it Empathy? It helps Do you want public disclosure of intimacy? Depends on the scenario Do they have to hold hands with you, kiss you, and hug you all the time? I preffer it, but it's not mandatory

How social should they be? Do you want someone to stay home with you all day? Doesn't have to, I enjoy sitting at home watching a movie wearing tinfoil hats and karate Gis while throwing jellybeans at each other. To go out on the town as a couple all the time? Once a month is plenty To join clubs and social events? I preffer to do that with my friends than my love

What financial state should they be in? Not awful Do you want them to make more or less money that you? For some reason I am repulsed by money. It's a sad necessity and I tend to be attracted to broke, honest, nice people. Does it really matter? Not really Is there a minimal amount that you expect a romantic partner to make? Enough to take care of himself Does it matter where they work? As long as it's legal.

How important is their spirituality? Minor Do they have to be the same religion as you? I'm a pastafarian who dated a muslim for a while. Try again :) Can they be non spiritual or atheistic? Their own choice.

How sexual do they have to be? I have a lot of sexual energy and I would like for my partner to be able to keep up and enjoy. Do they have to have a high sex drive or a low one? Doesn't have to be super high, but I am very physically expressive. Do they have to have conventional tastes or a little bit of kinkiness? Either way! Do you want it to be a surprise or laid out on the table? A little bit of both. We all have issues that should be addressed, but some things should deffinatly be a surprise.[/QUOTE]

This feels like a self-help worksheet!

I have a pretty wide range as far as physical attractiveness goes. I think my range is top 2/3 of the population. Somebody near the bottom of that range would scarcely be considered attractive. I would PREFER someone in the top 1% though, that would be nice :D

I want an INFj. There's a range even among INFJ's of course. The ideal INFj probably consists of about 10% of all INFJ's. I think that the most restrictive preferences are high intelligence and not too judgmental.

I don't care how social she is. Just don't drag me along!!!

I don't want to be the sole bread-earner purely because I don't like the power imbalance. I'd like my mate to make $35k a year minimum. I wouldn't abuse financial power, but I don't want the threat to even be there. I don't want to have to pull punches if we're in an argument either.

Somebody non-religious please. Spiritual is fine.

High drive works well. It's not significant. I can handle my own business :m131:

Most people don't seem to know what they want in a mate.

Are looks really all that important? Do you want someone extremely attractive, about the same looks as yourself, or ugly? Do they have to be fit?

What emotional traits would you need from a romantic partner? Honesty? Loyalty? Empathy? Do you want public disclosure of intimacy? Do they have to hold hands with you, kiss you, and hug you all the time?

How social should they be? Do you want someone to stay home with you all day? To go out on the town as a couple all the time? To join clubs and social events?

What financial state should they be in? Do you want them to make more or less money that you? Does it really matter? Is there a minimal amount that you expect a romantic partner to make? Does it matter where they work?

How important is their spirituality? Do they have to be the same religion as you? Can they be non spiritual or atheistic?

How sexual do they have to be? Do they have to have a high sex drive or a low one? Do they have to have conventional tastes or a little bit of kinkiness? Do you want it to be a surprise or laid out on the table?

Looks don't matter too much for me. However I am attracted to fit, healthy men. Ethnic wise I'm attracted to Asians, Japanese men in particular.

Emontionally I would be looking for a INFJ, as they fit my needs best. On my list of priorities, loyalty comes first then honesty and empathy.
I would prefer not to show intimacy in public as I'm rather private that way. However I would make an exception for holding arms. However out of the public eye I would be very much open to intimacy.

I would prefer a partner that would be happy to stay home with the kids while I go out and work or who worked in the same industry as me.
However I would happy If my partner took part in club activites and sports with me such as martial arts, surfing etc. hence where the fit and healthy part comes in.

Financially it dosn't matter as I intend to go out and work. I would prefer my partner to stay home and take care of the kids and clean the house, but If my partner did work, I would like him to work along side me.

Yes, I wouldn't marry nor have a sexual relationship with anyone who didn't belive in the same faith as I did as this would only cause problems later on during the relationship.

Sex drive is not too much of an issue. I'm not really a sexual person myself.
I would be kind of scared if my partner had a high sex drive. :m169:
A low to moderate sex drive would suit me best.

Last edited:
Are looks really all that important?

Yes, because sexual attraction matters to me. But you can be plain-looking to other people and very attractive to me. I can't say what turns me on in terms of looks, though. But height matters. He's got to be taller than me to turn me on.

Honesty - of course. Loyalty - naturally. Empathy - absolutely. Public display of affection - not necessary.

Preferably a home buddy who can muster enough courage to join clubs and social events.

Money is not a concern. He can do whatever makes him happy, healthy and wise. Preferably works from home - a house hubby.

Spirituality is important to me. They don't have to be the same religion as me. If he is atheist, he must at least be respectful of my views.

Surprises can be a good thing - so can experimentation and exploration. A moderate sex drive would be ideal - and healthy. And he (my future hubby) has to like being adored and kissed tenderly from head to foot, front to back, as I want to do most of the kissing and caressing and (censored) ...

Don't mind as long as they're a good person (see below for details on what a 'good person' is to me).

- Honest love (not unconditional - no one but parents can give you that)
- honesty in general
- trust
- knows when to and when to not be affectionate towards me
- reasonable self-esteem (not someone who's really sad or angry about themselves)
- Confident (not necessarily extroverted, but sure of themselves)
- Not arrogant
- no public displays of affection. It makes everyone uncomfortable.
- Empathy would be nice, but not too much.

Not too bothered as long as they're not one extreme or the other. Staying in all the time would be monotonous and going out would make me ill.
Also, not concerned if they want to do something alone, as long as they give me warning.

As long as they don't rely on me, it's okay.

I'd most likely never go out with a theist... just 'cause, even though I'm agnostic, some things in religions I just don't get.

Doesn't matter, as long as they don't force anything on me.

Overall, I'm just waiting for the one who will catch my flailing heart XD