What do you think are the biggest misconceptions about your type

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What do you think are the biggest myths or misconceptions about your type

Reactions: Phebe
That INFJs are selfless do-gooders and cannot possibly be understood by mere mortals, and that all of us follow Eastern philosophy.

Edit: Also, that any type is somehow "better" than another. Some members among types may be naturally specialized, but we - humanity - need all of them to work properly. Pedestals are illusory.

Last edited:
that my type defines me.
or that anyone's type defines them.
the type descriptions are static. people are changing all the time.

That because I feel I do not have the ability to think or rationalize. I find it mildly amusing.

That because I feel I do not have the ability to think or rationalize. I find it mildly amusing.

Quite so. It's funny because as INFP, I'm seem as more emotional, less logical, and less rational but yet, if anyone knew me, I'm actually quite logical but I don't show it that often because it usually gets a negative reaction along with the honesty that comes with it. I don't tend to show this side of myself that much because today, it's more about social ease and making people feel good about you in our people oriented world today. People always assume my feelings are based more on emotion than they really are, but I've given up trying to convince anyone otherwise.

That type defines anything. It doesn't.

As for me, I think the biggest misconceptions about ME are that I am some over sex ego maniac, the truth is that I use ego and sex as coping mechanisms for being a very overly sensitive type who has been crippled by shyness for the majority of my life.

Quite so. It's funny because as INFP, I'm seem as more emotional, less logical, and less rational but yet, if anyone knew me, I'm actually quite logical but I don't show it that often because it usually gets a negative reaction along with the honesty that comes with it. I don't tend to show this side of myself that much because today, it's more about social ease and making people feel good about you in our people oriented world today. People always assume my feelings are based more on emotion than they really are, but I've given up trying to convince anyone otherwise.

I find when people can't validate their own argument, they toss out things like "well, you are such a feeler" "typical feeler", et cetera. I find myself amused because I am calm and they are the ones getting all bent out of shape because they have no retort. I too do not try to convince people but I can be somewhat stubborn. Although, I admit there are subjects I cannot be rational about.

75% of the things said about my type on here are big misconceptions.

Reactions: Gaze
Maybe that we're all-knowing psychic spheres, or that we're rugged individualists. I think we're observant of things others may not see, but the clues are there for anyone and everyone. Also, the whole thing about us being individuals...if there's a conflict going on and we don't want to be singled out, I think we can go with the group to keep the peace (to not get involved in conflict).

That we can read people's minds. We really can't. Obviously.
That we're 100% benevolent beings. We're quite capable of evil deeds, we're just less likely to commit them because it will haunt us for a long time after.

that: we're all the same, on drugs, crazy, scatterbrained, like to go out, have a life, don't care, etc.

That all the males are gay.

That we're dishonest, always playing mind games and tricking you.
That we love to see you angry, and we're trolling 100% of the time.
That we're like mad scientists and always inventing something new.
That we're heartless and cannot show feelings or emotion. (EDIT: You would get mad if a thinker said a feeler doesn't think, right? So imagine a feeler saying that thinkers don't feel... It's just... Enourmously stupid, and I've heard it before a lot.)
That we're ENFPs when suddenly we start to let our Fe out just a bit.
That we always know the solution to everything and we're a walking breathing wikiped--- Oh wait, nevermind that's true. :m122:

Last edited:
I have feelings. And sometimes they come out in force...

In a social setting I am usually the "quiet" one...I would say the biggest misconception is that just because I am quiet that I don't have anything interesting to say or contribute....
Not true....and I will interject when I feel I should....however; I don't talk just to hear myself talk or for the specific purpose of trying to be the center of attention because I need to feed my ego.
Also that I am weaker because I show my emotions...this is such a stupid outdated way of thinking, I have no idea how this has lasted a long in our society as it has...I"m sure it has been propagated by jockular "Dad said real men don't cry." type person...
So stupid, in fact I know that I may get looked at funny for showing or expressing my emotions - I have. So the fact that I still choose to do so even at my own expense seems to me to take some big balls (which I have :m062: thank you very much)...lololol
I think you are actually a weaker person if you are emotionally retarded...anyhow that's my take.

Everything.

who gives a fuck about misconceptions???

In a social setting I am usually the "quiet" one...I would say the biggest misconception is that just because I am quiet that I don't have anything interesting to say or contribute....
Not true....and I will interject when I feel I should....however; I don't talk just to hear myself talk or for the specific purpose of trying to be the center of attention because I need to feed my ego.
Also that I am weaker because I show my emotions...this is such a stupid outdated way of thinking, I have no idea how this has lasted a long in our society as it has...I"m sure it has been propagated by jockular "Dad said real men don't cry." type person...
So stupid, in fact I know that I may get looked at funny for showing or expressing my emotions - I have. So the fact that I still choose to do so even at my own expense seems to me to take some big balls (which I have :m062: thank you very much)...lololol
I think you are actually a weaker person if you are emotionally retarded...anyhow that's my take.

Agree

That being somewhat quiet and reserved makes me a wishy washy person.