what can you tell from someone's eyes? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

what can you tell from someone's eyes?

How many times have we all heard, "You were staring at me." or, "Why are you staring at me?"

I've been hit on by so many people who claimed I was staring at them when I was not, or they think I am interested because my "normal gaze" is "intense". No, this is just my face, go away!

I've been asked "Why are you staring at me?" a good few times. But unfortunately it was by uncouth, stocky men, not beautiful ladies. sigh.

I've been asked "Why are you staring at me?" a good few times. But unfortunately it was by uncouth, stocky men, not beautiful ladies. sigh.

:(

I get approached by all kinds of people, including beautiful ladies.

I-I don't stare... I observe... assess... assimilate....

People I hang out with tell me this: Don't stare at those people/that person, you'll get us killed!
And I'm just like uhh what? I was just thinking. My bad. Then I smile at whoever it was, because that's not creepy at all or anything.
eded4445c0d49949b04ea52a9fbd6963.jpg
:p

lolol

1uSH.gif

Dude, this is morbid AF, but I worked for high-end restaurants (making a food the chefs didn't make themselves, but working directly with them) and I was on the phone with a chef telling her some equipment had broken down and I could not get her order to her that day, was offering her a substitute and trying to make sure everything was going to run smoothly for her, etc, and she replied, "OK, calm down, you sound like someone is dying. Nobody is dying."
In reality, I was waiting for my SO to pick me up at work, because my mother was dying and we had to drive many hours to try to get to her so we could say goodbye. I was freaking out.
That chef was a bitch in general and yelled at me often just because that is what many chefs do. For 20+ years I've hoped someone told her why I wasn't at work all week, and I hope she felt stupid.
I’m so sorry, Asa :(

Dude, this is morbid AF, but I worked for high-end restaurants (making a food the chefs didn't make themselves, but working directly with them) and I was on the phone with a chef telling her some equipment had broken down and I could not get her order to her that day, was offering her a substitute and trying to make sure everything was going to run smoothly for her, etc, and she replied, "OK, calm down, you sound like someone is dying. Nobody is dying."
In reality, I was waiting for my SO to pick me up at work, because my mother was dying and we had to drive many hours to try to get to her so we could say goodbye. I was freaking out.
That chef was a bitch in general and yelled at me often just because that is what many chefs do. For 20+ years I've hoped someone told her why I wasn't at work all week, and I hope she felt stupid.
Wow. I'm sorry. I bet in that little fit, she was just spewing without even knowing what words were coming out. I hope she felt bad too. Or at least felt like a twat.

Reactions: Icedream and Wyote
Thank you @neko and @Milktoast Bandit <3
It was a long time ago.

why the hell didn't you just tell her?
Me? If you mean me it was because I was trying to stay professional and didn't want to cry when speaking with a person I had no more than a professional relationship with. It wasn't appropriate to become emotional with her.
The kitchen I worked in knew.

And back to eyes:

A lot of beliefs about 'eye behavior' have been disproven, such as which direction people look in when they are lying. Even if one were to believe those theories, many of the "directions of the eyes" change direction if the person is left or right handed. So, you'd have to ask if the person was right or left handed (or pay close attention to see which hand they used) to decipher eye behavior.
I do think one can read emotion in the eyes, and that eyes and overall body language give away certain clues about people's thoughts and potential actions. I can read the essence of a person, but I don't think it is via their eyes alone.

Last edited:
:(

I get approached by all kinds of people, including beautiful ladies.
Nobody ever approaches me. :coldsweat:
I'm told my resting face is off-putting.

Reactions: Ren
Thank you @neko and @Milktoast Bandit <3
It was a long time ago.

Me? If you mean me it was because I was trying to stay professional and didn't want to cry when speaking with a person I had no more than a professional relationship with. It wasn't appropriate to become emotional with her.
The kitchen I worked in knew.

And back to eyes:

A lot of beliefs about 'eye behavior' have been disproven, such as which direction people look in when they are lying. Even if one were to believe those theories, many of the "directions of the eyes" change direction if the person is left or right handed. So, you'd have to ask if the person was right or left handed (or pay close attention to see which hand they used) to decipher eye behavior.
I do think one can read emotion in the eyes, and that eyes and overall body language give away certain clues about people's thoughts and potential actions. I can read the essence of a person, but I don't think it is via their eyes alone.
Yes, that makes sense. I'm sorry if I seemed rude or un-sympathetic with my reaction. It wasn't meant that way. I just feel like it would have been more fair to the both of you to let her know on the spot, but I think a lot of things, and I guess life gets more complicated than that sometimes. You handled that admirably, and I'm glad things worked out, and you got to see her before she went.

Reactions: Asa, Ren and Wyote
Reactions: Asa
That makes me even more unapproachable. And I do have the most awkward smile you can imagine

The only thing that will settle this is an awkward smile face off. Winner gets a lifetime supply of awkward introductions to humans. So does the loser, but they're also the loser.

Reactions: Asa and Icedream
Reactions: Icedream
Nobody ever approaches me. :coldsweat:
I'm told my resting face is off-putting.

- I've been practicing this for a few years (with my online presence, too) and it is going smashingly. But, TBH, sometimes I miss being approached by randoms all the time because I was used to that way of life.
If you really want the hassle, you could practice having a more approachable relaxed expression... as an experiment.

I'm sorry if I seemed rude or un-sympathetic with my reaction. It wasn't meant that way

I know you didn't mean it that way. You weren't rude or unsympathetic. Your question was pure logic. :)

The only thing that will settle this is an awkward smile face off. Winner gets a lifetime supply of awkward introductions to humans. So does the loser, but they're also the loser.

I laughed so hard at this coffee almost came out my nose. "So does the loser, but they're also the loser." There is no escape!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyote and Icedream