what can you tell from someone's eyes? | INFJ Forum

what can you tell from someone's eyes?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
I've always been fascinated by people's eyes because I think eyes tell a story which the rest of the body may not always reveal. They not only reveal things about how someone feels in the moment but who they are as a person and how they really think when they're not being consciously expressive. so, what can you tell from someone's yes?

Last edited:
The first thing I usually notice is whether or not the person will meet my eyes or not. :)

The first thing I usually notice is whether or not the person will meet my eyes or not. :)

I will meet peoples eyes. I tend to not look people in the eyes for reasons most people never suspect. The first is, I can generally tell a lot more about a person instantly then I ever want to know by looking in their eyes. Seriously, I know EXACTLY what type of person they are. If its someone I know I will have limited time with, yeah I generally (while not making great effort) simply dont do it. Because I can do this, I generally assume other people can do it to me even though thats rarely, if ever is the case. I assume they can see me recognizing them for who they are and that will reflect on how they treat me.

Its not an issue of shyness or anything like it. I just honestly dont like doing it. When I am in crowded areas, I turn my hearing off as well. I have gotten very good at it over the years. As an introvert and observer, I pick up a whole lot of information that I dont necessary want to. It can be very draining energy wise because of what I now assume my mind is doing. Processing it all.

Anyway, I have to wonder what other people think of it sometimes. :) Am I hiding something etc...

The other thing is, I assume someones going to figure out how intelligent I am. I wonder if anyone remembers the Highlander movie where when Connors family figures out hes immortal and banishes him because of it. Its something they dont understand and even though these are the people that are supposed to have loved him through his entire life, they banish him because he is something they dont understand. Sometimes I feel like if people know how much I really know, theyll not understand and be scared of it.

Now, I know this sounds like I am tooting my own horn but... Im not talking just about knowledge. If a person is extremely perceptive of things around them, it might seem like they have some form of ESP or mind reading ability. People are scared of that crap still even though we live in the 21st century.

Last edited:
Many things, there is a whole science dedicated to this.

Reactions: Littlelissa
giphy.gif

really though, this is a fascinating question, and I hope it gets more coverage. I would add my own take, but I don't feel like I would be adding anything interesting to the conversation.

Eyes are window of the soul. As Gaze said, they can reveal your feelings and emotions. They can also tell about your personality as well. It's hard to describe but for example it's easy to notice from someone's eyes if someone is looking curious or excited. Excited person's eyes seem to be full of joy and sparkle. If someone is in love and looking at their loved one straight to the eyes, their eyes look really affectionate and warm.

Last edited:
A lot of staring, right?

How many times have we all heard, "You were staring at me." or, "Why are you staring at me?"

I've been hit on by so many people who claimed I was staring at them when I was not, or they think I am interested because my "normal gaze" is "intense". No, this is just my face, go away!

How many times have we all heard, "You were staring at me." or, "Why are you staring at me?"

I've been hit on by so many people who claimed I was staring at them when I was not, or they think I am interested because my "normal gaze" is "intense". No, this is just my face, go away!
Yeah! I've had people say to me, "smile!" Or "you look like your puppy just died." Really I am smiling on the inside or thinking something stupid or obnoxious. There was that time when my puppy did die though... Also, I'm not staring at you. My eyes aren't focused on anything, you just happen to be standing where my face is facing... Jerks

There was that time when my puppy did die though...

Dude, this is morbid AF, but I worked for high-end restaurants (making a food the chefs didn't make themselves, but working directly with them) and I was on the phone with a chef telling her some equipment had broken down and I could not get her order to her that day, was offering her a substitute and trying to make sure everything was going to run smoothly for her, etc, and she replied, "OK, calm down, you sound like someone is dying. Nobody is dying."
In reality, I was waiting for my SO to pick me up at work, because my mother was dying and we had to drive many hours to try to get to her so we could say goodbye. I was freaking out.
That chef was a bitch in general and yelled at me often just because that is what many chefs do. For 20+ years I've hoped someone told her why I wasn't at work all week, and I hope she felt stupid.

Last edited:

I-I don't stare... I observe... assess... assimilate....

People I hang out with tell me this: Don't stare at those people/that person, you'll get us killed!
And I'm just like uhh what? I was just thinking. My bad. Then I smile at whoever it was, because that's not creepy at all or anything.