What Authors Can't You Stand?

Detective Conan

Doesn't Cast Shadows
Jun 9, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
So, Forum, what authors can't you stand and why?

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Agatha Christie was the only author I've ever tried to read that couldn't stand. I read all the other books I was assigned that year, but couldn't stomach hers.

The reason is because she spent way too much time plodding through detail after detail.

Last edited:
LESLIE SILKO

omg. She wrote perhaps the worst book in exsistance! "Ceremony", perhaps the worst thing I (n)ever read. It was required for a freshmen course I took (which I am teaching next semester actually). Pretty much it is about some native amercian kid in more or less present day who had a shitty life. Then does NOTHING to fix himself, and just gets worse. All it is "bitch moan bitch bitch moan" for 200 something pages. In a nutshell: the university trying to shove diversity down everyones throat.

...to make matters worse, I have to read this book AGAIN. Cause it is still on the list for the class I am teaching. Despite the fact that SO many people have submitted peitions and suggestions to remove the book, they won't do it. It's so bad that some professers have actually declined to re-teach that class BECAUSE of the book. Guess who will be BSing their way through this again :D

Ayn Rand so damn preachy it kinda is sickening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Bandit
Ayn Rand - Seconded.

I also can't stand Steinbeck. His writing style makes me want to bang my head against a wall.

I also have a problem with JK Rowling. I know, I know, Harry Potter is awesome. But she does things that writers should never do. LIKE WRITE THINGS IN ALL CAPS!!!, Harry exclaimed. Yes, we got the fact that he was shouting...we didn't need 3+ indicators.

I was waiting for someone to mention Meyer and Rowling for one reason or the next. Although, I did like Harry Potter when I first read the books, admittedly.

I particularly don't enjoy Paolini for his writing style. To me, his stories feel slower than they should. Also, I've never liked how that Eragon feels too much like Star Wars meets Lord of the Rings. I wouldn't mind if the feeling were mild, but the similarity is too blaring for my mind to ignore.

Agreed on Stephanie Meyer and a bit on Rowling. Meyer because she can't write, is incredibly sloppy, unoriginal, made annoying characters and made 'blank canvas' characters which I consider a sin of Literature.
Rowling for some sloppy story telling, 'adding to the story' after the series was done and outside of the books, her lack of creativity for ending the Potter series and her apparent lack of interest in ending it. She gets a little less hate however as I did kinda like the Harry Potter series for a bit, and it had more entertainment value.

Has similar trouble with Agatha Christie, I only attempted to read one of her books though and I was quite young at the time. I don't really remember much of it.

I actually liked Eragon, it wasn't a masterpiece but it wasn't bad for a 17 year old boy. (Which explains the Star Wars/LOTR's cross in a way :p )

I was tempted to add Scott Monk, but I may be biased as I was forced to read his shit book called Raw when doing my HSC.
Annoyingly, there was an author I hated more then these but I cannot recall the name.

Yeah, I'll add a vote to that Myers twat. She needs to be shot, preferably in the stomach.

I'll also add Margaret Atwood because she is a very angry person, and it comes through heavily in her writing. Its usually depressing plot with a main character who's super bitter and not so likable, and an added dose of "Could you please repeat that, but in a way that I can understand what you're trying to say". She does way too much alluding-to but not enough just telling me whats going on. I can figure out some, but when its something like someone killing someone else I'd like to know who, if I can even tell that its murder being alluded to at all.

I actually liked Eragon, it wasn't a masterpiece but it wasn't bad for a 17 year old boy. (Which explains the Star Wars/LOTR's cross in a way :p )

One of my main problems about Eragon is how it got into the literary world in the first place. If Paolini's parents didn't pay to self-publish the thing, I highly HIGHLY doubt any publisher would have taken the time to consider the submission. The whole thing is a cheat into the literary market.

Tucker Max--He is a literate d-bag who's learned how to capitalize on it.
Max Brooks-- Writes zombie genre fodder

I don't see anything wrong with financing your own story. How is it different from a band getting themselves noticed without going to a record label?
I don't care for publishers anyway, a lot of the time they will take any nonsense that they believe will rack in the money. What's good doesn't matter anyway, it's what sells. Good books have been turned down by publishers, I don't see why having a publisher makes you a credible author.

I don't see anything wrong with financing your own story. How is it different from a band getting themselves noticed without going to a record label?
I don't care for publishers anyway, a lot of the time they will take any nonsense that they believe will rack in the money. What's good doesn't matter anyway, it's what sells. Good books have been turned down by publishers, I don't see why having a publisher makes you a credible author.
Not to mention that publishers will buy their own books in droves just to put it on the #1 spot on TIMES Best seller.

And I thoroughly enjoyed both the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z.

Because sponsoring your own band is much cheeper than financing your own book. Trust me, I've tried, and it's not exactly a task for the faint of heart/wallet. I mean, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but I've just never approved of people buying their way into things...

And, for the record, I don't think the means of publishing diminishes one's credibility or enhances it nor did I ever say it. If I found Eragon on a book site like Fictionpress, I'd still say it's lackluster.

I don't see the relevance in how much cheaper one is to the other. If you are still paying out of your own pocket is it not still 'buying into things'?
If you believe it's an unfair way to do it then I suppose I can understand that, but I do think calling it a cheat into the market a little unfair.

really can't think of any :p i guess i haven't read that much

really can't think of any :p i guess i haven't read that much
Heh, on the flipside, I haven't read enough to know too many authors I don't like.

Dan Abnett. Hes wayyyy tooo goood and keeps getting me addicted to his books ;)

Joseph Heller sucked up Catch-22. That's the only book I slaved through 200 pages to quit without caring.

And Ceremony really isn't that bad of a book. Her writing style is somewhat lacking, but it does an extraordinary job at showing the modern-day life of Native Americans after getting fucked over in almost every way imaginable. I mean, who would want to come back from WWII with PTSD, to a family that hates you because you aren't "Indian" enough, and a society that hates you because you're "too Indian"? And he does come to a conclusion at the end; where his place in the world is.

The alcoholism is a rather true account of what so many Native Americans are afflicted with today.

William Faulkner
Jane Austen
Dan Brown

Reactions: bamf