What Authors Can't You Stand? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What Authors Can't You Stand?

Charlaine Harris, especially for the series True Blood is based on. I can't stand being forced to go to work with Sookie over and over while she waits on people and cleans up tables..or being informed every time she has a day off. So unnecessary.

Also Dan Brown. His books are too similar to each other, and I don't like how he seems to tell the story by way of explaining everything to his female sidekick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Bandit
Herman Melville and Stephen Crane.

Billy Budd is the single most terrible piece of recorded thought that has ever cast a shadow on the grounds that we call literature. Red Badge of Courage is a close second.

Stephanie Meyer (Read Twilight out loud and you can't take it seriously).
Charles Dickens (All his books have non-plots and too much detail except for maybe A Tale of Two Cities)
Faulkner (he's tough and impossible to read without guidance, I like Joyce better)

William Faulkner
Jane Austen

Glad i'm not the only one. Love the story but not the books And i know people are going to hate me for this, but i hated reading Faulkner. I couldn't understand the appeal of this writer.

I think many of these authors who we dislike had great story ideas but i don't think it was realized in their writing.

William Faulkner
Jane Austen
Dan Brown

This.

I thought Faulkner told some good stories, but his prose was nauseating. Hemingway is a much better modernist, in my opinion. Austen was so-so. I don't understand why so many highschools forced you to read Pride and Prejudice. It wasn't as great as I'd hoped it would be. As for Brown...Eh, it's like he has a formula he uses for writing or something. Replace a few names, the setting, the macguffin, the evil organisation and voila: a new Dan Brown novel. It's always the same old story with a few different details. That, and for someone who wants to be taken so seriously, his research was terribly inaccurate.

And Ceremony really isn't that bad of a book. Her writing style is somewhat lacking, but it does an extraordinary job at showing the modern-day life of Native Americans after getting fucked over in almost every way imaginable. I mean, who would want to come back from WWII with PTSD, to a family that hates you because you aren't "Indian" enough, and a society that hates you because you're "too Indian"? And he does come to a conclusion at the end; where his place in the world is.

The alcoholism is a rather true account of what so many Native Americans are afflicted with today.

@mf: Oh how I just do not care. This book is the epitome of the kind of stuff I want nothing to do with, let alone read about. Btw I thought the conclusion sucked. Bah, I have an extreme hatred for this story.

To me the book is bitching and moaning, an no one has redeeming qualities to them (or enough to make me like them) I just can not stand the story and I detest all the characters in it. I also get really really put off by diversity being shoved at me. Is it a sad thing? Yep. Do I know about it? Yep. Do I wanna read about it? Helllllll no. Omg I have such a burning hatred for this sort of stuff.

I've read a number of books in my time (having a degree in British literature tends to have that effect) and after working through an assorted, snore-worthy grab-bag of long-winded classical styles and gimmicky contemporary writing, I've only had one author that I truly despised : Thomas Hardy.

Tess of the d'Ubervilles was a pill. I remember counting down the pages until the end of the book with every page I turned. I couldn't get into it. The writing was naive and preachy and the heroine was just a helpless victim in a series of unfortunate events. The experience of slaving through that book had me turning to Cole's Notes when Jude the Obscure and Mayor of Casterbridge were assigned to my schedule. They were one of the few books that I just outright refused to read.

Seriously, I would take Stephanie Meyer over Mr. Hardy any day. And that's saying something.

Last edited:
Jane Austen

Dan Brown- I really really hate him
Paulo Coelho - can't stand him, to watery and to trying to be spiritual for my taste
Honore de Balzak - why, oh, why he could drink so much coffee?