Barnabas

Time Lord
Oct 7, 2009
Florida man
MBTI
wiblywobly
Enneagram
timeywimey
Do guys no of anything tasty that us also healthy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well as foods go you have:

Tasty foods,
Healthy foods,
Cheap foods.

You get to pick 2, a combination of all 3 doesn't exist.

So to answer your question, basically anything expensive.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Tasty, healthy, and cheap? There are lots of options but these are probably the top three:

Beans and rice (Tons and tons of varieties many of which are delicious)

Whole wheat pasta and spaghetti sauce or some kind of chopped up veggies sauteed in a little oil...

Omelettes

Here's my "for dummies" recipe for a Berry Gelato, a nice cool, low-fat sweet treat packed with fiber, anti-oxidants and vitamins.

You will need:

1. Frozen Mixed Berries ( roughly 1 cup)
2. 1% or Skim Milk (1/2 cup)
3. Spoonful or two of your favourite protein powder (Optional)
4. Twenty seconds

All you really need to do is toss these into your blender and make sure the berries are blended into a thick, gelato consistency; don't add too much milk or you get a shake!

Also, don't add any sugar. The berries are sweet by themselves. It's a nice, healthy snack and absolutely delish!

Try it with other frozen fruits!

Eggs are fairly cheap and healthy, depending on how you eat them. Anything you make yourself will be cheaper than mass-produced stuff.

Tuna is cheap.

Cheapest meal with the most "bang" for your buck will probably be: whole grain pasta, frozen vegetables, half gallon of skim or 1% milk, oatmeal, butter, eggs, tomato sauce, and chicken legs/thigh meat (or stewing beef), cheese, whole grain bread, peanut butter, honey, tuna, mayo, and frozen fruit.

Right there will give you approximately two weeks of breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. You can make smoothies, oatmeal w/fruit, omelets, chicken w/pasta and veg or chicken w/veg, and either pb & honey or tuna sandwiches (for a single person). You can also use the peanut butter as part of your pasta dish if you want a peanut thai flavor.

Pizza. It has Cheese - Full of Calcium and B vitamins along with protien and plenty of other good things, The bread of course has a bit of fiber, the pepperoni is chuck full of protien, and the sauce, has tomatos which are swarming with anti-oxidants and vitamins, along with oregano which has antiviral properties. Definitely a good choice, you can never go wrong with pizza. (although I pull off the meat because I am a vegetarian) :m155:

Pizza. It has Cheese - Full of Calcium and B vitamins along with protien and plenty of other good things, The bread of course has a bit of fiber, the pepperoni is chuck full of protien, and the sauce, has tomatos which are swarming with anti-oxidants and vitamins, along with oregano which has antiviral properties. Definitely a good choice, you can never go wrong with pizza. (although I pull off the meat because I am a vegetarian) :m155:

Lol - pizza is tasty, but it's pretty darn expensive. Use a whole grain crust for more fiber, and choose chicken instead of pepperoni to lower the fat content.

Oh chocolate cake, it has eggs, so it contains a lot of protien and calcium, but you know what, I will just let [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K5YBNQq-Qo"]this guy[/ame] make my case for me.

I was looking at the Chik-Fil-A menu and figured I could eat three meals a day from there without going over 2,000 calories. Unfotunatley I don't have the money to eat brekfast lunxh and dinner at Chik-Fil-A

Seriously though, I like blueberries, I know they can be expensive if bought in the store, however if you were to go to a farm with a blueberry patch, they might (as they do where I live) allow you to pick boxes of them for $10, then you just keep your boxes and boxes frozen in the fridge until you use them. You can't go wrong with 100 lbs of blueberries, :m153: it can last through the winter... sometimes.:m131:

ROFL! I love Bill Cosby. "Himself" was one of the funniest standup skits ever. Well, funniest *clean* standups.

Well unfortunatley the only farms we have hear in florida are for cattle, but thanks for the idea. I know of a few places like that out of state though tha tmight come in handy.

Well unfortunatley the only farms we have hear in florida are for cattle, but thanks for the idea. I know of a few places like that out of state though tha tmight come in handy.
You might be surprised. After all, MI isn't the farming capital of the world either, I had to drive for an hour or so, it wasn't just around the corner, but imho, its definitely worth it.

(note that was a search for blueberry producers in florida farms, about page four there is one called "blueberries u-pick." I didn't actually look at them all but some of them sound pretty promising)

Last edited:
Banana chips and a few other dried fruits, like raisins and apple slices.

Lentils are good. Lentil soup, lentil bakes etc. Expremely cheap and extremely healthy.

I was looking at the Chik-Fil-A menu and figured I could eat three meals a day from there without going over 2,000 calories. Unfotunatley I don't have the money to eat brekfast lunxh and dinner at Chik-Fil-A

OH! You are a man after my own heart. Chik-Fil-A biscuits are my downfall. NOT healthy but oh-so-good. Would not recommend breakfast, lunch and dinner there for either budgetary or dietary reasons. Now I need some sweet tea. Thanks a lot, Barnabas. (LOL!)

So how about we make a list? (I like lists!) Y'know, in case some of us hard pressed and trying to figure out some yummy meal ideas/what to buy in the grocery store. Here's what was suggested thus far:

Carbohydrates
  • Beans
  • Whole Grain Rice
  • Whole Grain Pasta
  • Oatmeal
  • Pizza (Whole Wheat Crust)

Protein
  • Tuna
  • Chicken
  • Beef
  • Eggs (Omelette's!)
  • Hummus
  • Peanut Butter

Vegetables
  • Lentils
  • Garlic
  • Tomatoes
  • Bell Peppers
  • Frozen Vegetables (Mixed!)

Fruits
  • Frozen Berries
  • Banana Chips
  • Frozen Fruit Smoothies

Yum. That's making me hungry!

Mmmm.

I like lists too... just a few additions to yours:

Vegetables
Frozen spinach (can be added to lasagna or spaghetti sauce or even blended in a smoothie)
Fresh bag of spinach
Celery sticks (You can put peanut butter and raisins in these)
Carrots (You can make sticks, or grate them and hide them in anything)

Fruits
Those little mandarin orange slices in cans (see Fresh Bag of Spinach - great salad!)
Strawberries (Ditto)
Raisins

Boca burgers
Frozen cherries