5r6jhd

I put on my robe and wizard hat.
Banned
Mar 29, 2012
Ireland
MBTI
ENFJ
Enneagram
I've dropped a few pounds very quickly, and am having to work hard at not losing more weight...I'm gettin used to it, what I can't get used to is the hair loss! The last week or so, tons of my hair has been falling out! I feel like my hair has got quite thin over night and I'm really not arsed going to the doctors cause they always tell me there's ntohing wrong with me.

What can I do for hair loss? I don't want to be bald!

DISCLAIMER: Not asking for medical advice, I know when I need to go to the doctor. Thanks!

Reactions: the
Drink lots of water, of course.

Also, I strongly recommend taking Biotin supplements, getting your Omega-3s and Fish Oil will also work.

Ive had a lot of hair-loss when I used conditioners for the hair... So, if you're using one too - id stop and see if it improves, otherwise i really dont know

What is Biotin?

[h=2]What is it?[/h]Biotin is a vitamin that is found in small amounts in numerous foods.

Biotin is used for preventing and treating biotin deficiency associated with pregnancy, long-term tube feeding, malnutrition, and rapid weight loss. It is also used orally for hair loss, brittle nails, skin rash in infants (seborrheic dermatitis), diabetes, and mild depression.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/313.html

I lost about a third of my hair when I had iron deficiency anemia...it eventually grew back. I didn't do anything special other than taking iron supplements and it eventually grew back. It can also be caused by a thyroid illness, I know you said no medical advice but weight loss is a symptom of hyperthyroidism. I'm obviously guessing but it's something I'd consider if I were you. Don't know what it's like in your country, but in mine you can test levels of your thyroid hormones in a private lab on your own initiative.

It's possible you lack nutrients, could be seasonal hair loss too, that happens to me, I call it shedding. :p

I heard that shampoo with nettle extract helps hair growth, either fabrically made or homemade by adding nettle extract drops into your own shampoo.

I lost about a third of my hair when I had iron deficiency anemia...it eventually grew back. I didn't do anything special other than taking iron supplements and it eventually grew back. It can also be caused by a thyroid illness, I know you said no medical advice but weight loss is a symptom of hyperthyroidism. I'm obviously guessing but it's something I'd consider if I were you. Don't know what it's like in your country, but in mine you can test levels of your thyroid hormones in a private lab on your own initiative.

It's possible you lack nutrients, could be seasonal hair loss too, that happens to me, I call it shedding. :p

I heard that shampoo with nettle extract helps hair growth, either fabrically made or homemade by adding nettle extract drops into your own shampoo.

Thank you! Yes, I am deficient in nurients...it seems like im not absorbing them properly maybe.Last time I got my bloods done my iron was low, and my colour hs been looking off and slightly yellowish lately, which I thought might be more of an indicator of low iron. I need to start taking more.
I was tested for a thyroid problem, but nothing came up at the time.

Thanks, I appreciate it...I just said I wasn't looking for medical advice for legal purposes....most forums I frequent lock a thread if they think am ember is looking for medical advice.

I think hair loss that accompanies weight loss can happen as a result of an imbalance/deficiency of nutrients. I'm not a HCP so I don't know for sure, but something to maybe consider is making sure you're eating enough calories, and also enough protein and fat. But that suggests that the weight loss was intentional. If it's not, I think hair can also fall out due to stress (along with other things of course). And if you're losing weight unintentionally, then it could be whatever is causing the shift in weight. That may be a little more difficult to pin down. It could also be hormones. Have you ever lost this much hair before?

Uuuhhhmmm. If you're losing weight, your hair is falling out and your skin looks yellow you should get checked out. Not trying to give medical advice but it sounds strange. One thing, ok...two things coinkidink maybe...but those three kinda scare me. Sounds like your body is def trying to tell you something.....listen to it. :)

I would have guessed iron deficiency as well. I got my MD from the internet.

Reactions: acd
Yeah, I'd agree with getting checked out...make them check your liver function, because yellowish colouring can indicate jaundice.

Thanks guys! Yeah Ive aleady been to the doctor...I will now be on my third opinion, and it's frustrating as hell. I've had blood work done and all but nothing really came back other than iron levels despite the fact I do have a lot of symptoms. Doctors are irritating their useless opinion often costs such a fortune!

Thanks for the advice though, fingers crossed I don't go bald. :/

Stress, perhaps. A friend of mine lost a lot of hers due to work stress bullshit. She had to get scalp shots or some such.

I went the other way and shaved my head. "Balding" just seems like a half-assed middle step to be skipped.

You have a toddler, no? You are likely extraordinarily busy and somewhat sleep deprived and your post-pregnancy hormones are probably still contributing to the hair loss. This is not medical advice, just someone who experienced the same thing. It grew back once I started sleeping for a more reasonable amount of time (6-8 hours a night) and got help (the practical kind, not the medical kind!) and generally started taking better care of myself. Also, I was anemic at one point too. Once I took my children in to the doctor for a checkup and wound up getting put on intravenous fluids myself right then and there because I hadn't been drinking enough liquids.

Funny thing was, in the midst of the whole thing, I would never have thought I was exhausted, I honestly thought I was taking reasonably good care of myself, but I wasn't.

I wonder if you are experiencing the same thing or something similar? Good luck, I know it is alarming and I hope you feel better soon.

P.S. I was underweight at the time too.

Thank you! Yes, I am deficient in nurients...it seems like im not absorbing them properly maybe.Last time I got my bloods done my iron was low, and my colour hs been looking off and slightly yellowish lately, which I thought might be more of an indicator of low iron. I need to start taking more.
I was tested for a thyroid problem, but nothing came up at the time.

Thanks, I appreciate it...I just said I wasn't looking for medical advice for legal purposes....most forums I frequent lock a thread if they think am ember is looking for medical advice.

Yellowish color happens when your liver isn't working right. You should have them check your bilirubin levels. Try not to stress (easier said than done I know).

You need iron and biotin.

Do you have any prenatal vitamins left?

They have to rule out horse before they can rule out zebra. I hope they've done more than blood tests though.

Yellowish color happens when your liver isn't working right. You should have them check your bilirubin levels. Try not to stress (easier said than done I know).

Mhm I know, thanks for the post! I was worried about janundice, so i did mention it to the doctor months ago and she said my blood work came back fine.

The only problem with blood work is that sometimes it takes a really really log time for stuff to show up in the blood.

For now I've decided to drink only water (maybe the exception of the odd cup of tea!), eat tons of fruit (I do eat fruit, but would avoid eating too much for my teeth0. I already eat loads of vegetables, but I've upped my protein intake. I'm taking a multivitamin and a omega 3, 6 & 9 pill too. I've never heard of biotin...but I will check it out.

Does anyone know can you take iron on top of a multivitamin?

I'm going to keep doing this and then get my BMI taken again to see how my weight is doing, if things are still poor I'll go to the doctor.

Thanks for all the advice, this is really frustrating, and I know there are a lot of health nuts here :)

Reactions: bionic
Mhm I know, thanks for the post! I was worried about janundice, so i did mention it to the doctor months ago and she said my blood work came back fine.

The only problem with blood work is that sometimes it takes a really really log time for stuff to show up in the blood.

For now I've decided to drink only water (maybe the exception of the odd cup of tea!), eat tons of fruit (I do eat fruit, but would avoid eating too much for my teeth0. I already eat loads of vegetables, but I've upped my protein intake. I'm taking a multivitamin and a omega 3, 6 & 9 pill too. I've never heard of biotin...but I will check it out.

Does anyone know can you take iron on top of a multivitamin?

I'm going to keep doing this and then get my BMI taken again to see how my weight is doing, if things are still poor I'll go to the doctor.

Thanks for all the advice, this is really frustrating, and I know there are a lot of health nuts here :)

I had severe anemia a couple of years ago and I've had liver issues as well before that, but they were all symptoms of my ovarian disease. For the anemia, I took protein shakes which have a lot of iron (and you don't need multivitamins with certain ones, too many vitamins can be overkill for your body). They also make you gain weight quickly though, so drinking them sparingly would probably be best. I honestly wouldn't consider the shakes until you get your BMI checked. I do a process where I only introduce one medication or diet change at a time, cause if I find I have symptoms from it, I know it's due to the new change. I find it's harder to pinpoint the issue when I load up my body on 2 or more meds. One thing at a time! lol

Also, stress can really bring on iron deficiencies along with a change in diet. If you begin to miss periods, feel more lethargic, and other symptoms start to arise; definitely consider seeing an OB/GYN just to make sure your girly parts are healthy. I can't even stress that enough as a woman, especially as one who has been through all the headaches of it! lol I hate going to a million doctors too :| There are so many doctors out there that really seem like they don't care about their patients. It's like they're in it just for the $$, which is pathetic. :|

I'm not sure how it is in Ireland but perhaps you could do some research/ask friends about good doctors in your area? I like to look at reviews online or ask around before I consider a new doc. There's nothing more frustrating than finding a doctor that doesn't go the extra mile for you.