Typing: Philosophy | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Typing: Philosophy

Democritus here! Haven’t learned to be ‘smiley’ yet, but working on it.

I’ve always been enamoured with the thought of substance and it’s relationship to absence.

Nice thread.

Hey @Bri.ak ! Thanks for your nice comments about the thread :) I'm glad you enjoyed its content.

You are not alone in enjoying the topic of substance and absence, I actually discussed this (indirectly) in a blog entry recently ^^ What makes you think you're Democritus specifically?

You are not alone in enjoying the topic of substance and absence, I actually discussed this (indirectly) in a blog entry recently ^^ What makes you think you're Democritus specifically?

I’m the definition of a sceptic.

I see reality as transposed to us. We use absence to measure reality; cold is the absence of heat, color is what is rejected, not absorbed, dark is the absence of light, time isn’t gain, it’s loss through entropy.

Focus on gaining knowledge above materialistic endeavors. Learning through experience of cultures.

I think people are as stupid. I mock human behavior. I have a love for satire from it. I wish I could openly do it! The idiocy of ‘human nature’ is pretty slapstick.

I have a misanthropic view of people and human nature in general, even though the functions and knowledge of diverse societies consume a large part of my mind. This creates a love/hate relationship with others.

I was not born wealthy, hence my inability to laugh about people to their face.

I see reality as transposed to us. We use absence to measure reality; cold is the absence of heat, color is what is rejected, not absorbed, dark is the absence of light, time isn’t gain, it’s loss through entropy.
When I read this, I had an intense feeling of deja-vu.

@Ren This is the first in a series of threads I'll be making for typing that isn't directly related to MBTI, but is better than buzzfeed quizzes

Like Global Five, Enneagram, and Socionics?

The one thing about MBTI that drives me mad is Myers and Briggs views, and test, re the J/P preference. It has to do with categorization not organization.

INFJs are more often not tidy than organized. Inferior Se makes them awful at it, actually, and it’s the bane of my existence. If only those chores were done, I could spend my time thinking and writing, like I was made to do.

And who’s yours?

I don't know, nobody has cared to philotype me yet... :( I asked, but it's possible that people are afraid that I'd start analysing their analysis ;)

I feel closest to existential phenomenology, if that makes any sense. Very much not a skeptic, though I have sympathies for certain forms of skepticism. Here I think is a good description of what interests me the most in philosophy. The investigation into what it means "to exist".

I don't know, nobody has cared to philotype me yet... :( I asked, but it's possible that people are afraid that I'd start analysing their analysis ;)
You know my stance on blabbering about things one doesn't know enough about yet. (For those who don't know, that stance is: STFU and inform yourself.)

You know my stance on blabbering about things one doesn't know enough about yet. (For those who don't know, that stance is: STFU and inform yourself.)

I think you might be slightly exaggerating the scholarly nature of my own philotyping. Most of it was just gut feeling ;)

Apart from @Pin

I feel closest to existential phenomenology, if that makes any sense. Very much not a skeptic, though I have sympathies for certain forms of skepticism. Here I think is a good description of what interests me the most in philosophy. The investigation into what it means "to exist".
I'm not much of a philosopher, so I know I could not type you! I took a few courses in college and must say I dig existentialism. Looking into Maurice Blanchot, though. Thanks for the philotype.

Last edited:
I think my perfectionism has gotten the better of me, so it's proving difficult to stay on top with the philotyping – I sort of locked myself into too slick groove with @Pin and @Ginny, whom I found from the first rather easy to type (only a testament to their transparency of conviction, naturally). It gets tougher with the others, although I have some leads. So for now, and in order to momentarily appease the by-now restless waiting list, I will just provide extracts from my work in progress. Basically Ni circling around my various “subjects” :sunglasses:

@Free – Big Democritus vibe on Miss Free. A precursor to Plato except friendlier, always in a cheerful mood, early champion of democracy and humanism in an era where big providential men were favored. But there are still discrepancies to resolve... wait and see.

@hush – Basically a modern-day Spinoza. Warm, inclusive, progressive, but always with a vibe of being a little up in the clouds and metaphysical. I don't think Spinoza hugged many people, but he's the closest I can think of.

@Sandie33 – I know she's hoping for Protagoras, but hmmmm, I don't know... On some level yes, but I can see some Marcus Aurelius in there also. Sandie's soul lives with the Ancients.

@acd – Not easy to say... About as elusive as Maurice Blanchot. Never heard of him? That's because he's also a deeply secretive philosopher! Yes, definite Blanchot vibe.

@Happy Phantom – I haven't figured out much about HP's philosophical convictions yet but I see some distinctly Chomsky use of Fe there, so maybe I'll look into Chomsky and see if that fits.

@infinite dreams – Hmm, tough one also! I think that in general, some insights about worldview and ethics might be useful. My current lead is Gilles Deleuze. A creative INTP philosopher with wide-ranging interest in non-scientfic subjects, sure; but that isn't enough, I'll have to keep thinking...

@Reason With Logic Filling – Already convinced he's the reincarnation of Yogi Berra, so I won't insist... though I see in him a mix of Voltaire and Michel Foucault. When I look at this picture of Michel, I think about Reason:

michel-foucault.jpg

To be continued (hopefully).

I'm jealous of HP for getting Chomsky! Love his stuff.

I'll have to look into Deleuze as I'm not familiar with him.

Re: Foucault - he's got a bit of a Yogi Berra vibe going on too. Separated at birth? They were around the same age. :tonguewink:

fc0eqc.png

Re: Foucault - he's got a bit of a Yogi Berra vibe going on too. Separated at birth? They were around the same age. :tonguewink:

fc0eqc.png
We can share. :heartu:

fc0eqc.png

Deleuze is pretty awesome @infinite dreams ! One of the most creative philosophers of the last 50 years. Check him out sometime :)

Also I'm tagging @Reason With Logic Filling so he can enjoy this amazing Foucault-Berra comparison!