Typing: Philosophy | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Typing: Philosophy

My Spotify is packed with The xx :blush:

The first song I heard of theirs was a remix, but I fell in love (and have subsequently listened to this too many times)...

<3

But I suppose that's a discussion for another thread. : )

*continues appreciating Ren's delightful observations*
A million likes for The xx!! I saw them earlier this year and they’re incredibly good live. They’re
also too damn adorable!!

Here’s a very sweet article.

Apologies for derailing.

This, of course, is not meant to reduce your essence in any way
I have to post this for the small number of people on this entire planet of Earth that would actually get this reference:

JackRipperSmoking.gif
Peace On Earth
u
r
I
t
y

o
f

e
s
s
e
n
c
e

Last edited:
Philotype of @Pin

What is immediately striking about Mister Pin is the tension between his pragmatic, utility-focused view on life, on the one hand, and his conviction that he is destined by Providence to become a great man, on the other. The conviction is strong and could not be justified by his accomplishments alone, as of yet ; it comes from an insight. In the realm of ethics, Pin has identified as a virtue ethicist, seeking to work on becoming the best possible person, through the famous theory of the « golden mean ». But he has made no secret of the fact that, as far as the macro level of the socio-political realm is concerned, power must come first, and then people.

Pin is a mix of Nietzsche (great man theory), Aristotle (virtue ethics), Machiavelli (power first then people), and Hegel (the importance of the State in world history). And among these four eminent minds, the one he is closest to is quite clearly Aristotle, because only in Aristotle can we find room for what is propounded by the other three, though not quite as fervently. Aristotle's magnanimous man has features of the great man ; and Aristotle occasionally suggests that such a man may exercise a disproportionate amount of power, given the extent of his virtues, for the good of the community.

Pin is Aristotle.
Funny, I expected that I would get Elizabeth Anscombe.

Funny, I expected that I would get Elizabeth Anscombe.

Anscombe wrote a lot on the philosophy of action but (correct me if I'm wrong) she remained mostly an academic and a scholar. Aristotle was both a scholar and a man of action. Hence Aristotle.

I'm glad you mentioned her, though. Great female philosophers are not spoken about enough. For those interested, here's a good introduction to her work. She was a student of Wittgenstein.

Anscombe wrote a lot on the philosophy of action but (correct me if I'm wrong) she remained mostly an academic and a scholar. Aristotle was both a scholar and a man of action. Hence Aristotle.

I'm glad you mentioned her, though. Great female philosophers are not spoken about enough. For those interested, he's a good introduction to her work. She was a student of Wittgenstein.
After all of the things I posted in that "Only Men" thread, I just had to mention her. It's only right.

After all of the things I posted in that "Only Men" thread, I just had to mention her. It's only right.

You might have to extol the greatness of female philosophers for a while longer if you wish to fully restore your reputation on that front :p But that's a good start, Emperor!

I'm now going to sleep pondering the next one or two philotypes to come... much thinking to do...

Philotype of @Ginny

Probably in part because of her academic training, Ginny puts great emphasis on the meaning of words and the importance of sound use of language when engaged in an intellectual discussion. In this sense, she has the traits of a philosopher of the analytic school, who will have difficulty with a metaphysical view which, though maybe creative, does not respect the most fundamental laws of grammar. Ethically, Ginny comes across as more Kantian than utilitarian, that is, she is relatively uncompromising when it comes to the things one should never do, even if this should lead to the happiness of the greatest number, but not everyone. Her views on Utopia point in that direction. In general, her ethical views and convictions, when they are practised for the benefit of others (say, in helping them regularly with understanding their MBTI) are very analytical, buuuuut this won't hide for very long the fact that Ginny actually cares a lot and can get emotional about such matters. The pursuit of truth and integrity is not something to make fun of, she will say.

So does a philosopher combine the following features: welcoming of metaphysics on the condition that the sound use of language is respected ; following a strict moral code that is often expressed in the language of reason and duty ; who valued creativity as a way to understand the world better, and could get very emotionally involved about the deep matters that he cared about ? Yes, we do have a philosopher, it is Ludwig Wittgenstein. He is not a perfect fit for Ginny, because he didn't have much of a sense of humour, while Ginny does (some rather striking posts on the « Memes that scream you » thread will attest to that). But Wittgenstein clearly was a serious, profound, ethically uncompromising philosopher who saw nearly all philosophical discussion through a logico-linguistic lens, and whose passion and feeling transpired through even his most analytic works.

Ginny is Ludwig Wittgenstein with a dirty sense of humour.

Philotype of @Ginny

Probably in part because of her academic training, Ginny puts great emphasis on the meaning of words and the importance of sound use of language when engaged in an intellectual discussion. In this sense, she has the traits of a philosopher of the analytic school, who will have difficulty with a metaphysical view which, though maybe creative, does not respect the most fundamental laws of grammar. Ethically, Ginny comes across as more Kantian than utilitarian, that is, she is relatively uncompromising when it comes to the things one should never do, even if this should lead to the happiness of the greatest number, but not everyone. Her views on Utopia point in that direction. In general, her ethical views and convictions, when they are practised for the benefit of others (say, in helping them regularly with understanding their MBTI) are very analytical, buuuuut this won't hide for very long the fact that Ginny actually cares a lot and can get emotional about such matters. The pursuit of truth and integrity is not something to make fun of, she will say.

So does a philosopher combine the following features: welcoming of metaphysics on the condition that the sound use of language is respected ; following a strict moral code that is often expressed in the language of reason and duty ; who valued creativity as a way to understand the world better, and could get very emotionally involved about the deep matters that he cared about ? Yes, we do have a philosopher, it is Ludwig Wittgenstein. He is not a perfect fit for Ginny, because he didn't have much of a sense of humour, while Ginny does (some rather striking posts on the « Memes that scream you » thread will attest to that). But Wittgenstein clearly was a serious, profound, ethically uncompromising philosopher who saw nearly all philosophical discussion through a logico-linguistic lens, and whose passion and feeling transpired through even his most analytic works.

Ginny is Ludwig Wittgenstein with a dirty sense of humour.
My humour is an integral part to my survival ;)

Funny thing, I think I made some test about this, and got him too. Shame, though, I looked for a screenshot and didn't find any. Perhaps I saved it somewhere else.

Isn't Wittgenstein said to be INFJ as well, or at least INxJ?

My humour is an integral part to my survival ;)

Funny thing, I think I made some test about this, and got him too. Shame, though, I looked for a screenshot and didn't find any. Perhaps I saved it somewhere else.

Isn't Wittgenstein said to be INFJ as well, or at least INxJ?

Interesting that you got him through another test! lol. I'd be curious to know about it, but no pressure.

In any case, Wittgenstein was an INFJ, or at least I make a case for it in my thread on Wittgenstein in the "Famous INFJs" section. I'm a big fan of the guy, and I'm even a little bit jealous that you typed him...

@Ginny Not to sound like an absolute philosophy nerd, but I think you're quite a bit more Wittgenstein than Quine :D

Okay, I still have a lot of philotyping to do. This might take a while... but I'll do my best.

I think my perfectionism has gotten the better of me, so it's proving difficult to stay on top with the philotyping – I sort of locked myself into too slick groove with @Pin and @Ginny, whom I found from the first rather easy to type (only a testament to their transparency of conviction, naturally). It gets tougher with the others, although I have some leads. So for now, and in order to momentarily appease the by-now restless waiting list, I will just provide extracts from my work in progress. Basically Ni circling around my various “subjects” :sunglasses:

@Free – Big Democritus vibe on Miss Free. A precursor to Plato except friendlier, always in a cheerful mood, early champion of democracy and humanism in an era where big providential men were favored. But there are still discrepancies to resolve... wait and see.

@hush – Basically a modern-day Spinoza. Warm, inclusive, progressive, but always with a vibe of being a little up in the clouds and metaphysical. I don't think Spinoza hugged many people, but he's the closest I can think of.

@Sandie33 – I know she's hoping for Protagoras, but hmmmm, I don't know... On some level yes, but I can see some Marcus Aurelius in there also. Sandie's soul lives with the Ancients.

@acd – Not easy to say... About as elusive as Maurice Blanchot. Never heard of him? That's because he's also a deeply secretive philosopher! Yes, definite Blanchot vibe.

@Happy Phantom – I haven't figured out much about HP's philosophical convictions yet but I see some distinctly Chomsky use of Fe there, so maybe I'll look into Chomsky and see if that fits.

@infinite dreams – Hmm, tough one also! I think that in general, some insights about worldview and ethics might be useful. My current lead is Gilles Deleuze. A creative INTP philosopher with wide-ranging interest in non-scientfic subjects, sure; but that isn't enough, I'll have to keep thinking...

@Reason With Logic Filling – Already convinced he's the reincarnation of Yogi Berra, so I won't insist... though I see in him a mix of Voltaire and Michel Foucault. When I look at this picture of Michel, I think about Reason:

michel-foucault.jpg

To be continued (hopefully).

Last edited:
@hush – Basically a modern-day Spinoza. Warm, inclusive, progressive, but always with a vibe of being a little up in the clouds and metaphysical. I don't think Spinoza hugged many people, but he's the closest I can think of.

"Spinoza lived an outwardly-simple life as a lens grinder."

Were you aware that I work in optics when you chose him? If not, that's a bit spooky. :tearsofjoy:

A little up in the clouds, nonsense...

@Sandie33 – I know she's hoping for Protagoras, but hmmmm, I don't know... On some level yes, but I can see some Marcus Aurelius in there also. Sandie's soul lives with the Ancients.
@Ren I would concur if you'd agree to 60-40 split in Marcus' favor ;)
Feed your pleasure...
https://dailystoic.com/what-is-stoicism-a-definition-3-stoic-exercises-to-get-you-started/
Sandie's soul lives with the Ancients.
Perhaps, and I want to go home; these Earthly patience are hard to convince. ;)

Thank you Ren. <3

smugfault.png

Nah, completely fortuitous ^^ But cool to know anyway!

Well, that just makes the coincidence tickle me all the more! ^-^

Thinking about it and refreshing my knowledge of what he stood for, his beliefs, philosophies, etc., I'm connecting with him a great deal. To some extent, it almost sounds and feels like I'm listening to my own voice, so I'm not sure what sort of wizardry you pulled off, but I thought you ought to know that you're rather adept at it. : ) Thank you for taking so much time to delve into a subject like this, one which requires such a large degree of analysis and stalking investigation.

Well, that just makes the coincidence tickle me all the more! ^-^

Thinking about it and refreshing my knowledge of what he stood for, his beliefs, philosophies, etc., I'm connecting with him a great deal. To some extent, it almost sounds and feels like I'm listening to my own voice, so I'm not sure what sort of wizardry you pulled off, but I thought you ought to know that you're rather adept at it. : ) Thank you for taking so much time to delve into a subject like this, one which requires such a large degree of analysis and stalking investigation.

Aw, thanks :) To be honest, you were the third (and last) person I felt somewhat confident about. I couldn't quite explain why either. I'm glad this resonated with you, though I must say I didn't do that much research into it at all, just a bit of thinking/mulling and trusting my gut. But thanks for suggesting the idea to me that if I'm ever suspected of stalking, I could just say "Oh no, just researching your philotype" ;)

Okay there might have been one or two threads from 2016 that helped but nothing else, promise!