Trump Suggests Delaying US Election in November | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Trump Suggests Delaying US Election in November

It's disturbing to me to see the way that discussions devolve these days into endless catastrophizing and fear mongering. It is like watching a cow chew it's own cud.
As an outside observer... and I suppose as a historian, too, I have to say that the response here is very positive and shouldn't really be seen as 'catastrophising'.

Functional democracies - or the ones that survive at least - tend to have characteristically strong responses against even hints of infringements against their civil liberties or democratic processes. By contrast, those that fall to autocracy tend to be apathetic about these encroachments.

The 'very loud' response against these things is highly appropriate in the context of how democracies 'work', and if Trump isn't immediately and heavily lambasted for even suggesting such a thing then that's a bigger problem than 'fear' or 'catasteophising'.

What works personally as a response to life circumstances often doesn't translate well to politics or the kind of 'epistemic function' of large, complex democracies where people and their voices are the only immune systems of bullshit.

As an outside observer... and I suppose as a historian, too, I have to say that the response here is very positive and shouldn't really be seen as 'catastrophising'.

Functional democracies - or the ones that survive at least - tend to have characteristically strong responses against even hints of infringements against their civil liberties or democratic processes. By contrast, those that fall to autocracy tend to be apathetic about these encroachments.

The 'very loud' response against these things is highly appropriate in the context of how democracies 'work', and if Trump isn't immediately and heavily lambasted for even suggesting such a thing then that's a bigger problem than 'fear' or 'catasteophising'.

What works personally as a response to life circumstances often doesn't translate well to politics or the kind of 'epistemic function' of large, complex democracies where people and their voices are the only immune systems of bullshit.
In feel reactions to Trump are heavily exaggerated and largely emotionally based

In feel reactions to Trump are heavily exaggerated and largely emotionally based
And it's your job to police anyone for what you perceive to be their feelings?

Please remove yourself from discussion if you're not interested in contributing to the actual topic.... And not your emotional read. Not interested.

Last edited:
I would agree with you usually. I mean, he is a terrible statesman, but nominally I would agree.

However there's a distinction to be made between reactions to Trump and reactions to constitutional infringements, which in this case is mostly the latter fuelled by the former.

Paradoxically, I think Trump has carved himself a peculiar kind of license to behave in this way, where people have become somewhat desensitised to his egregiously illiberal thoughts, because if this were any former serving president who had said this there would probably be even more uproar, shock, and outrage.

Well I guess since it's a feeler forum we can't just talk about things without people needing to get meta about our reactions or feelings. Annoying, but sure. Let's go there.

I don't see what the problem is anyway with people having emotions. I do personally feel strongly about this and @Deleted member 16771 seems to get it because he's laid it all out in his last few posts. And so what?

People do have a reaction to Trump because he has spent the last 4 years shitting all over the constitution and our way of life; our democracy. He is a threat to that. Or at the very least, he is paving the way for someone much more competent and articulate than himself. Disagree with that point then and explain to us why we are wrong. Please enlighten us on how someone who could doubtfully even pass a 6th grade civics quiz is fit for office. But STFU about how you think people feel or how you would dictate they feel.

People in the US take for granted our freedom. They think our system is rock solid. But it's possible to chip away at that foundation. And that's what we see.

I'm not out there throwing Molotov cocktails. But I will advocate for voting. If you can't be bothered to do that then gtfo of this thread.

I have the right to express my opinions... I'm sorry that you would prefer not to see them. I will continue to post my thoughts whenever I decide to. I'm afraid it's up to you, the reader, to deal with how my posts make you feel. I wish you the best of luck.

I have the right to express my opinions... I'm sorry that you would prefer not to see them. I will continue to post my thoughts whenever I decide to. I'm afraid it's up to you, the reader, to deal with how my posts make you feel. I wish you the best of luck.
Great. Please stay on topic. Or share your opinions on the topic.

No elections matter
giphy.gif

Wouldn't mail-in need to be sent around October 20th or so to be actually counted?
Idk may vary by state but there are a lot of options to consider outside of unprecedented delay of the election.
I would think early voting would be helpful in working towards public safety during an election in a pandemic. Make it really early voting. Unless it's just about not having people vote... My state does Oct. 6 so nearly a month. Could be extended earlier by states. Could open even more polling places with bigger venues for social distancing. Or just vote by mail. Which is what the president himself does.

Last edited:
I think it'll all sort itself out and it'll be fine. Don't worry about it. And if it doesn't work out we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

So much in the world is out of our control.

C'est la vie