bamf

Is Watching You
Retired Staff
Apr 9, 2009
MBTI
Meh
Enneagram
Meh
So at the end of every decade I like to compile a list of my favorite albums that came out during the preceding 10 years. Thought it might be fun if we compile a "best of the decade" for the forum.

I'll be back later with mine after I give it some thought.

Very Best:
"SMiLE" - Brian Wilson
"Relationship of Command" - At the Drive-in.
"Deloused in the Comatorium" - The Mars Volta
"Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV: Vol. 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness" & "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3" - Coheed & Cambria.

Next Best:
All the rest of The Mars Volta's albums (except Amputechture).
All the rest of Coheed and Cambria's albums.
All of Queens of the Stone Age's albums.
Unified Theory's self-titled album
Pearl Jam's self-titled album
"Discovery" - Daft Punk
"Lucky Old Sun" - Brian Wilson

Call me blonde which decade we talking about here? Are we going like 1960-1970 and 1970-1980 and then 1980-1990 and 1990-2000 and 2000-2009? There is so much good music out there I can only think of albums that really made a landmark on music.

The ones that come to mind for me are.
Oingo Boingo Only A Lad.
Beatles. Abby Road/ white Album/ Sgt Peppers/Revolver/Rubber Soul/Magical Mystery Tour.
George Harrison Cloud Nine/Brainwashed
Pink Floyd The Wall/Momentary Lapse Of Reason/Dark Side Of The Moon/Wish You Were Here/ Animals.
Nirvana Never mind and there unplugged album is my Fave.
Radio Head In Rainbows Can't stop listening to it over and over.
Jimi Hendrix. I listen to all of his recordings over and over he always makes me smile! I get the chills just listening to him play giutar. Jimi is an emotional experience for me. My fave so far is Axis Bold As Love/followed by Electric Lady Land its a tie really!

And there are so many more I could put down Jim Croce Elton John Bob Dylan Steve Winwood Alice In Chains School Of Fish Toad The Wet Sprocket Glen Phillips I could be here all day lol

My top 10 albums released in 2000-2009

10. Justice - † (2007)
justice_cross_cover.jpg

9. Husky - Zgadnij (2005)
aktualnosci_1149.jpg

8. Boards of Canada - Geogaddi (2003)
6q3wqdz.jpg

7. Artemis - Gravity (2005)
4153279766-1.jpg

6. Amp - US (2004)
screencaptureups.png

5. Bowery Electric - Lushlife (2000)
bbq213.jpg

4. The Knife - Silent Shout (2006)
theKnife_silentShout.jpg

3. Fever Ray - Fever Ray (2009)
FeverRay_Cover.jpg

2. Apparat - Walls (2006)
apparatwallsuv61.jpg

1. Leila - Blood, Looms & Blooms (2008) This is easily the most innovative album I have ever heard of in my entire life. Hands down. Here is an example track from the album: Leila - Blood, Looms, & Blooms - Carplos
leila.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jn56uytrx
These are the albums that have affected me the most. Whether they are musically superior doesn't matter to me.

Staind - Dysfunction (1999) or if it is too old, then Lamb of God Ashes of the Wake (2004)
0007559623562_500X500.jpg

Lamb of God - Wrath (2009)
lambofgod_wrath-cover.jpg

Trae - Restless (2006)
814767.jpg

Devin the Dude - To Tha X-treme (2004)
49bfc7f9f7c935a8d811ccf64934.jpeg

Limp Bizkit - Significant Other (1999) If this is too old then Bad Religion - Process of Belief (2002)
significant-Other.jpg

Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache (2004)
killswitch_engage_the_end_of_heartache__big.jpg

Opeth - Blackwater Park (2001)
01_blackwater_park.jpg

Dr Dre - Chronic 2001
dr_dre-2001.jpg

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (2000)
hybrid-theory.jpg

Honorable mention:

Still Remains - The Serpent (2007)
Bad Religion - The Process of Belief (2002)
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake (2004)

Last edited:
I'm going to be horrible at what order they're in. But here's some of my favorites...

• Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion. Much more accessible than many of their previous albums, but it still retains their oddness and inventiveness. Best Tracks: Summertime Clothes, In the Flowers, Brother Sport.
merriweather.jpg

(don't stare at it too long. it's an optical illusion.)

• MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
I think this is their only album to date. They need to get on that. Freaking Good. Best tracks: Kids (also has the creepiest music video EVER), Time to Pretend.
oracular-spectacular_mgmt_080725091453.jpg

• Shearwater - Rook
Currently my favorite album. So coherent musically; so soulfully expressive of the horrible stressfulness my life has been recently; such poetic lyrics. (Look them up!) Best Tracks: Leviathan Bound, I was a cloud
shearwater-rook.jpg

• Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Heck yes. So good. Who else can't wait for Contra on Jan. 11???? (Who else feels like it would be cheating to pirate it early? hahaha.) Best Tracks: Wolcott, M-79. [Horchata, the preview from Contra, is better than both of those COMBINED. is SO GOOD.]
vampireweekend.jpg

• Fanfarlo - Reservoir
More people need to know about this album. It is SO GOOD. It's their first album, yet it coheres just as well as Shearwater's Rooks (and that's their fourth or fifth!) Best Tracks: The Walls Are Coming Down, Harold T. Wilkins or How to Wait for a Very Long Time
reservoir_lowres.jpg

• Alasdair Roberts - Spoils
A wonderfully whimsical album. Sample lyrics: "The sage gave a wink / as a sage should do / and just as he / began to freeze // he said these words / and I tell you true / forget your legs / and find your knees!" Best Tracks: Hazel Forks, Unyoked Oxen Turn, Under No Enchantment (But My Own)
alasdair%20roberts.jpg

• The Tallest Man On Earth - Shallow Graves
Similarly whimsical. Also wonderful. (I'm tired of writing descriptions.) Best Tracks: they all sound pretty much the same, lol, but I am fond of The Gardener.
shallow-graves.jpg

• White Lies - To Lose My Life
They are better live than in concert. Best show I've ever been to (that was a good good night too). But their album is good. The British are the best at rock, hands down. Best Tracks: Death, To Lose My Life, The Price of Love
white-lies-to-lose-my-life.jpg

Others that hold a place in my heart: The Seedy Seeds - Count the Day; Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes; Sea Wolf - Leaves in the River; Greg Laswell - Three Flights from Alto Nido; Coeur de Pirate - Coeur de Pirate.

Felt_Mountain_Front.jpg

438562e89da00dceda3d3110.L.jpg

bjork-vespertine.jpg

all the other music i really like i've been introduced to this decade has been from '50s, 60s.. (o_o;

Reactions: IndigoSensor
The beginnings of my list

*Arrogant Sons of Bitches-Three Cheers for Disappointment (2004)
*Big D and the Kids Table-Gypsy Hill EP (2002)
*Big D and the Kids Table-How it Goes (2004)
*Bob Dylan-The Essential Bob Dylan (2000) granted it was nothing new, but it was all my favorite tracks re-released in the 2000's so it counts
*Bomb the Music Industry-To Leave or Die in Long Island (2005), and basically all of their albums. Love 'em all.
*Catch-22-Alone in the Crowd (2000)
*Current Swell-So I Say (2005)
*Dead Kennedys-Milking the Sacared Cow (2007) granted it's not new music, but they released it in the 2000's so I'm gonna say it counts
*The Flatliners-Destroy to Create (2005)
*Flogging Molly-Swagger (2000)
*Goldfinger-Stomping Ground (2000)
*Kid Dynamite-Shorter, Faster, Louder (2000)
*Less Than Jake-Anthem (2003)
*NOFX-The War on Errorism (2003)
*The Planet Smashers-Unstoppable (2005)
*Red Hot Chili Peppers-Stadium Arcadium (2006)
*Rise Against-Siren Songs of the Counter Culture (2004)
*Streetlight Manifesto-Everything Goes Numb (2003)
*The Strokes-Is This It? (2001)
*Weezer-Weezer (2001) Alright, so the green album isn't that great, but it was the return of Weezer, and had Hash Pipe.

***Some updates***
*The Hives-Veni Vidi Vicious (2000)
*The White Stripes-Elephant (2003)
*Linkin Park-Hybrid Theory (2000) Don't really like them anymore, but they were sweet back in the day.

Last edited:
SmileBW04.jpg

Smile - Brian Wilson (2004)
I will never forget the first time I heard this album. The harmony in the beginning made me stop dead in my tracks. I just sat completely in awe throughout the entire album. I had never heard anything quite like it, and I still haven't. It is brilliant.

Friendly_Fire.jpg

Friendly Fire - Sean Lennon (2006)
I am not a fan of any of Sean's work prior to the release of Friendly Fire. However, this album really shows the talents he inherited from both of his parents. The writing is superb and the production is also great. I am still very impressed every time I listen to it. Oh, and there is a film to go along with it. I highly recommend it.

Picaresque.jpg

Picaresque - The Decemberists (2005)
Colin Meloy's folk voice combined with well written and catchy tunes makes Picaresque The Decemberist's masterpiece. With tunes like "Eli, The Barrow Boy" and "16 Military Wives" there is something for everyone. Plus, it was produced by Chris Walla of Death Cab for Cutie. Trust me, it's amazing.

Death_Cab_For_Cutie_-_Plans.png

Plans - Death Cab for Cutie (2005)
While this album does not have my favorite Death Cab song on it, it does have everyone's favorite "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" along with solid hits like "Summer Skin" and "Crooked Teeth". It's an amazing album that I can't help but play on repeat.

RaRaRiot-TheRhumbLine.jpg

The Rhumb Line - Ra Ra Riot (2008)
I had not heard this album in it's entirety until I saw Ra Ra Riot open for Death Cab for Cutie. I went home and immediately downloaded it. If you ask me, it's brilliant and it's even better live.

Cowards_and_Robbers_Cover.jpg

Robbers & Cowards - Cold War Kids (2006)
I have also seen several of the song from this album performed live. Very impressive. However, they were touring with Death Cab and Ra Ra riot to promote their second album, which is not nearly as good. So, they didn't perform "Saint John" Which I believe to be the stand out number on this album. Following the the foot steps of The White Stripes they have a very blusey sound. Yet, it is a bit more full, seeing as they have a full band. If you haven't heard it, I promise it is worth a listen or two.

Get_Behind_Me_Satan.jpg

Get Behind Me Satan - The White Stripes (2005)
If you ask me, Jack White is God and that is the end of it. I love every album they have released and hate to pick a favorite, but this one always comes out on top. With songs like "Blue Orchid" and "Denial Twist" how could I not?

Insideininsideout.jpg

Inside In/Inside Out - The Kooks (2006)
While their second album is great it simply cannot top their first. Inside In/Inside Out is not as polished as Konk, but I think that is what I find so charming about it. It's raw and really shows the personality of the group. I have also seen this performed live and I was amazed by their stage presence. They are amazing.

Imwideawake.jpg

I'm Wide Awake It's Morning - Bright Eyes (2005)
Conor Oberst may not have the best of voices, but his lyrics are absolutely beautiful and the music compliments them well. This album features "First Day of my Life" and "Road to Joy". these are the stand out songs if you ask me, and two of Conor's best. The album as a whole is truly stunning.

TheFratellis-CostelloMusic.jpg

Costello Music - The Fratellis (2006)
This Brit-pop album will brighten just about anyone's day. The upbeat numbers are all very well produced and quite fun. I wish they would return to this sound, because I find that their new album has pulled away from it and gone for something more accepted by the mainstream.

Those are in no particular order. I refuse to to rank them.

and here are some more that I can not help but list:

Good News for People who Love Bad News - Modest Mouse (2005)
Heretic Pride - The Mountain Goats (2008)
Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? - Of Montreal (2007)
Black Sheep Boy - Okkervil River (2005)
Sunny Side Up - Paolo Nutini (2009)
Consolers of the Lonely - The Raconteurs (2008)
Begin to Hope - Regina Spektor (2006)
Phantom Punch - Sondre Lerche (2007)
Living in America - The Sounds (2002)
Set Yourself on Fire - Stars (2004 UK & Canada, 2005 U.S.)
Illinois - Sufjan Stevens (2005)
Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend (2008)
Fort Nightly - White Rabbits (2007)
Cookies - 1990s (2007)
The Slow Wonder - A.C. Newman (2004)
Favorite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys (2007)
Grrr.... - Bishop Allen (2009)
Nighttiming - Coconut Records (2007)
LP - Discovery (2009)
Tonight: Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand (2009)
Be OK - Ingrid Michaelson (2008)
Songs We Sing - Matt Costa (2005 & Re released 2006)

Reactions: jlynnr
Almost forgot: Both of Tool's albums this decade ("Lateralus" and "10,000 Days") were great, and also A Perfect Circle's album's ("Mer de Noms" and "Thirteenth Step") were pretty good too.

These are the albums that have affected me the most. Whether they are musically superior doesn't matter to me.

Same 'ere :D Urem,

1. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell
2. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
3. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Is Is
4. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - selt-titled

LOL!

Then,...

5. Death Cab For Cutie - Plans/ but don't even bother asking me to choose one off that massive list (of albums) :p
6. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
7. Interpol - Antics
8. Modest Mouse - Good news for people who love bad news
9. The Panics - Cruel Guards

&....
10. The Killers - Hot Fuss. LOL!

Honorable Mentions: LP, Broken Social Scene, METRIC, Florence And the Machine, and Muse.

Arcade Fire should have been somewhere on that list too...

Reactions: jn56uytrx
Arcade Fire should have been somewhere on that list too...

ARCADE FIRE! I forgot them....Funeral and Neon Bible were so DIFFerent. but so GOOD.

Beirut is another favorite - Gulag Orkestar anyone?

And Bon Iver. He's wonderful.

ARCADE FIRE! I forgot them....Funeral and Neon Bible were so DIFFerent. but so GOOD.

Beirut is another favorite - Gulag Orkestar anyone?

And Bon Iver. He's wonderful.

I just realized I forgot Beirut! *Bangs head against wall* Can't believe that.
I also forgot Great Lake Swimmers, Frankle, and Ben Folds.

1. Lateralus by Tool

2. Black Market Music by Placebo

3. Audioslave by Audioslave

4. Twelve small steps, one giant dissapointment by Bad Astronaut (all three would be in)

5. We have the facts and we're voting yes by Death Cab for Cutie

6. Hours by Funeral for a friend

7. Absolution by Muse

8. Mer de nom by A perfect circle

9. Lipstick traces by Manic street preachers

10. Resolve by Lagwagon

I also left off 3 Rounds and a Sound - Blind Pilot. It should have been in my top ten. It's amazing.

Coldplay - X&Y
Radiohead - Kid A
System of a Down - Toxicity
Green Day - American idiot
The White Stripes - Elephant
Radiohead - In rainbows
Placebo - Sleeping with ghosts

Reactions: 1 person