Top 10 skills within devastation...

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
Here is the scenario...

The world has collapsed due to an energy crisis. The oil ran out and our petroleum based society crumbled within a few years. Suddenly we no longer have the gas to run our cars, the pesticides to protect our crops, the plastics that form the basis for our technological infrastructure. Humanity is reduced back to the 1700s and even simple things like antibiotics are hard to come by. People who use to have high minded professions like Wall Street brokers, lawyers, social workers, scientists, etc. now have a useless skill set because society can no longer support their endeavors. Only the most practical skills like farming are in high demand.

What do you think would be the top in demand 10 skills in this new world?
Would you be able to adapt and to survive?
Would this world form a new order or would it descend into violence, chaos, and anarchy?
What profession do you see yourself taking in this new world?

Reactions: Artisan
Here is the scenario...

The world has collapsed due to an energy crisis. The oil ran out and our petroleum based society crumbled within a few years. Suddenly we no longer have the gas to run our cars, the pesticides to protect our crops, the plastics that form the basis for our technological infrastructure. Humanity is reduced back to the 1700s and even simple things like antibiotics are hard to come by. People who use to have high minded professions like Wall Street brokers, lawyers, social workers, scientists, etc. now have a useless skill set because society can no longer support their endeavors. Only the most practical skills like farming are in high demand.

What do you think would be the top in demand 10 skills in this new world?
Would you be able to adapt and to survive?
Would this world form a new order or would it descend into violence, chaos, and anarchy?
What profession do you see yourself taking in this new world?

Why not, we can demand 10 skills in this new world. There is always bright side.

Yes, i think so, i will able to adapt those skills and can survive.

I think, i should be leader for society who can decide and can make critical choice for people. I will find out some people who are interested in creating new opportunities in this world and will try to develop perfect harmony with them, so i can enjoy working with them. One most important thing is i will see big dream for people of 1700 centuries, because big dreams have power to change the world.

Last edited:
Strategic Planning
Electrical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Civil Engineering
Emergency Medical Aid

Advanced Medical Aid (Surgery)
Botanical Science
Alchemy // Basic Chemistry
Linguistics
Stealth Rogues

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a skill, employable by both, as well as trackers and hunters.

It's a skill, employable by both, as well as trackers and hunters.

I think I know what you mean. A lot of the people I work with are former Marines and they walk with such a light step that they can walk up and stand right behind you without you being aware of it. It seems you have to have a very adversarial mindset to pull it off though.

Humans don't have skills. Humans have bodies. And books. They used to not have books before. Couldn't read. Now, most of the skills are not things that you have. Those are abilities that you use. Why set any limits to anybody? Learning should be open and free. ;;; Another story is that actually post-oil solutions exist for everything; energy, bioplastics, vertical soil-less farming etc, so we shouldn't discuss this even theoretically. And scientists should never be included in such lists of useless skills, even if they are dealing with very abstract science. Before all, those are people with excellent problem solving skills; that's most important in anything.

As for me, I'm happy with any low-level tasks, like toilet-cleaning, bio-garbage maintenance, gravedigging. I don't know why most people in the first world are bothered by such tasks; I'm certainly not. Cheers with: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x45j6f_willie-nelson-gravedigger_music

First thing you need is someone to figure out a better source of energy. I think a few nuclear physicists would come in handy for that.

In the meantime, you'll probably need people like:
Metalworkers/smelters/glassblowers... people who can create and retool all the things we use to make tools, etc.
Large and small animal veterinarians (horses, oxen and poultry would be essential. Sheep, too.)
People who know how to tan hides
Midwives
Yes, Botanical Science (but that makes it sound so fancy :lol:)
Textile experts -- carding, spinning and weaving and sewing
Dentists
Stone and brick masons (probably. I think)
Probably would need someone who can navigate without a GPS -- i.e.; astronomers and sailors

Anyone who was in the Boy Scouts can navigate without a GPS.

At night, I can tell you everything you'd need to know about location, date and time, if the sky is clear.
Got this hardwired as kid, on my own.

Last edited:
Well, I was in the Girl Scouts. They taught me to make spaghetti sauce and sell cookies. Bummer.

And ENFP -- HOW did you get this hardwired as a kid? Curious to know...

Years of sleepless nights and a lot of passion for constellations... plus, it was a mystery that nobody would be able to explain properly to me, and I couldn't find detailed enough books.. So I compensated my stupidity with a lot of hard work, as usual.

Last edited:
I wish I could go somewhere where I could actually still see the stars at night. It's too bright where I live to see too many of them...
Derailing post, will stop now!

I hear you. Well, that was part of the struggle. So I also developed a special love for high buildings, accessible roofs, and appreciation for the sky clarity after a heavy thunderstorm... But yeah, it was one of my earliest realizations that something is very wrong with the modern society, if we can't even observe the sky freely.

What ever the people in Somalia or The Ivory Coast do to survive. I'd bet that the rich would still be alright in this situation (like the rich/criminally intelligent in Somalia), and everyone else would be pretty much screwed.

Populism, oration, passion, that's all you need to lead desperate survivors, post apocalyptic those individuals who can naturally command the people around them will rise to warlord positions at some point and reboot society.

That could have worked a century ago, but aren't we all much better educated today? The times of leadersheep are over, if you ask me.

That could have worked a century ago, but aren't we all much better educated today? The times of leadersheep are over, if you ask me.
heck no lol... people need to be lead that has never changed. Even if we are all educated if society ended tomorrow our children would need to be lead since education wouldnt be as big of an issue anymore.

What ever the people in Somalia or The Ivory Coast do to survive. I'd bet that the rich would still be alright in this situation (like the rich/criminally intelligent in Somalia), and everyone else would be pretty much screwed.

^^This.

Visit the third world nations, and you'll learn how to survive with very little. The funny part is, if we endured that kind of collapse the third world nations would end up being the leaders of the world, because they're the ones with the most practical, up-to-date knowledge about the land and its layout apart from farming communities.

We'd probably become more agrarian and more like a small village. My vision would be more like 1500s Europe without the plague, and with more knowledge. You'd learn how to sew clothes, dig ditches, create water wells with fresh water, you'd learn where to poop and where not to poop (poopin' makes the best plant fertilizer). You'd learn to fish and hunt, learn to grow crops...and perhaps you'd learn how to trade with someone who has a different skillset from your own.

Solar power can be utilized, as long as you have enough garbage in the landfills. Black paper and tinfoil can do wonders. Old timing belts and old bikes can become manual generators for short periods of time. Houses would be built closer to the ground, perhaps, because they would be more comfortable to live in (and easier to build, with fewer resources).

I would hope we'd still have librarians. Librarians would be valuable as well.

My thought on the top professions in such a society

1. Doctors (includes vets)
2. Librarians (they know how to find the knowledge, and where)
3. Practical teachers (more artisans, more math, maybe the arts to keep it alive)
4. Structural engineers for sure - especially those who deal with dams and water preservation
5. Hunters/gatherers
6. Herbalists (the herbalists would know all the good natural cures and which plants to gather)
7. Carpenters
8. Farmers
9. Small town leaders/judges
10. Militia men