Together Forever? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Together Forever?

I rain on my own parade all day long. I've considered what you mentioned numerous times. Like, what if I marry Mr. Wonderful and he ends up to be a child molestor 20 years later?
It happens.

I am trying to trust my own intuition regarding people more lately. That's the only thing I can say about that. I've trusted it recently and it's not failed me, after having ignored it for over a year! I'm being totally subjective now, but in these matters, my head usually screams: "Move on! This isn't it! You're only prolonging something meaningful!" I'm going to trust that more.... for whatever this reply is worth.

That makes sense too. But with regards to matters of the heart, I'm always freaked about my intuition really being my wishful thinking in disguise.

Ey. My intuition never sets my world on fire in the ways of love. Maybe that's cuz I've dated some serious rogues looking back. Or cads. Rogue-Cads.

My intuition more like nags: Get the hell out. Now!

Ey. My intuition never sets my world on fire in the ways of love. Maybe that's cuz I've dated some serious rogues looking back. Or cads. Rogue-Cads.

Cads! Rogues! Rogue-cads! You're speaking my language. And you've been dating my men.

And I don't have anything else productive to add to this conversation.

Reactions: acd
I hope that's the case!

i know i can love someone for as long as i live despite not knowing whether someone may love me with the same fidelity

I see no reason why people could not love each other for the remainder of their lives.

I'd like to say yes, but lately I'd be pleasantly surprised if I could find someone to mutually love even for a while.

Coming from a pragmatic, I say confidently; absolutely. Logically you can find someone who is compatible, and has the same life goals as you. If both parties are equally motivated to make it work, it will last until death.

Logic also dictates that in order to keep yourself and your mate motivated, you must create that motivation on a daily basis. You must always give more to your mate, than you do to anyone else in the world, including children and yourself.

Now does that mean you have to spend more time with them, or they have to be your #1 priority at all times? No it does not. What that means is that at the end of the day you need to have saved enough energy (emotional, physical) to give your spouse/mate the attention they need to feel fulfilled.

Children will grow up and move out, spouses are until death.

I agree with everyone that it can exist that way. A lot of people feel that way getting into the relationship, that it could work out forever, but sometimes it doesnt. But I know that it can and does exist, where individuals have mutual admiration for each others strengths which compliment our own weaknesses in some significant and profound way. It is not unusual to possess fondness of another person that can last until old age and even death. True friends are forever and such friendship is often forged in the fire of mutual struggle -- so therefore the deepest love must be one created out of that cameraderie.

Last edited:
in my opinion, true love cannot be defined through words nor can it be felt through emotions. i believe it is a state, therefore unlike the fleeting emotions of romantic love, it is everlasting.

I don't believe anything can ever last forever. But can love last for a lifetime? Sure, why not. And isn't that really all you need?

Soul mates, true love and other things of such nature are beautiful ideas to entertain. But our mere wantig them to be real doesn't make it so.

Last edited:
I'm banking on it! If things don't work out with the Dude I'm seriously never going to be in another relationship. Ever. I just can't see letting someone else...know me as well. I don't like being vulnerable to anyone but him. Falling in love is....stressful. Its like easing into boiling water. But being in love is great.

The thought of going through all the uncertainty and discomfort of new love is exhausting to think about. Do NOT WANT! Even if he dies tomorrow, I'll just become a saucy spinster and feed stale ribbon candy to my nieces and nephews and tell them stories of my youthful adventures and indiscretions. Or I'll study to become a nun. I'm not kidding actually. He has my heart. If he broke it or threw it away, I'm not sure I could replace it. I'd grow something almost like a heart, but it would only be a clever facsimile. ::shrug::

Doesn't "forever" imply that there is no start or finish? See, impossible.

I'm banking on it! If things don't work out with the Dude I'm seriously never going to be in another relationship. Ever. I just can't see letting someone else...know me as well. I don't like being vulnerable to anyone but him. Falling in love is....stressful. Its like easing into boiling water. But being in love is great.

The thought of going through all the uncertainty and discomfort of new love is exhausting to think about. Do NOT WANT! Even if he dies tomorrow, I'll just become a saucy spinster and feed stale ribbon candy to my nieces and nephews and tell them stories of my youthful adventures and indiscretions. Or I'll study to become a nun. I'm not kidding actually. He has my heart. If he broke it or threw it away, I'm not sure I could replace it. I'd grow something almost like a heart, but it would only be a clever facsimile. ::shrug::

Isn't that what we always say? Especially us reserved types. It never works that way though, not for me anyways. I guess there is an underlying masochistic quality to life.

Doesn't "forever" imply that there is no start or finish? See, impossible.

Forever only implies the lack of either a beginning or an end. Maybe not even that. Different kinds of infinities exist.

Last edited:
Isn't that what we always say? Especially us reserved types. It never works that way though, not for me anyways. I guess there is an underlying masochistic quality to life.

Forever only implies the lack of either a beginning or an end. Maybe not even that. Different kinds of infinities exist.

And even with that logic, it's impossible. Obviously a relationship has to have a starting point, and they will all eventually end willingly or not. So 'together forever' is not humanly possible.

I think love can last a lifetime...if carefully maintained, like all things. You can't expect love to last unconditionally; in the same way you have to work and keep tabs to maintain your physical and mental health, you have to do the same to maintain the health of a relationship. Love dies when people become disenchanted or numb to it, but it can last a very long time if correctly monitored.

And even with that logic, it's impossible. Obviously a relationship has to have a starting point, and they will all eventually end willingly or not. So 'together forever' is not humanly possible.

Yes, I agree. Unless you want to go poetic and find an infinity from between moments or something. And really, I don't.