Together Forever?

Azure_Knight

Community Member
Apr 20, 2009
MBTI
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Do you think that two people can love each other forever and stay together the whole time (aside from death or even after death, whichever you prefer)?

If not, does love only last a certain length of time (ie 50, 75, or X years)?

I do believe it's possible to love someone forever, it's a rare thing to happen but I do believe it nevertheless. Yes, I'm into the soulmate crap I have to admit it.

Don't know but i believe that true love is eternal.Whether or not both are away from each other, they'll still be remembered and loved.

I'm a sucker for eternal love and everlasting happiness.

Unfortunately.

Guess the only way we can find out is to find that person, right?

I do believe its possible to love someone forever. Or, at least, I really hope that it is true.

I'd like to find out for myself one of these days. So far, no evidence to support my hypothesis.

I'd love to be an optimist and say that there is such a thing as genuine, everlasting love, but frankly, I believe that such a thing happening is more a matter of circumstances than a matter of purity of the soul. Translation?: I think that I could love someone forever; I just don't expect anyone to do the same for me.

Then again, I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
I'd love to be an optimist and say that there is such a thing as genuine, everlasting love, but frankly, I believe that such a thing happening is more a matter of circumstances than a matter of purity of soul.

I agree. Geography, situation, work, family, etc all play key factors. However, in the bottom of my soul, I do believe it is possible. Even if it doesn't happen as often as I would hope.

I agree. Geography, situation, work, family, etc all play key factors. However, in the bottom of my soul, I do believe it is possible. Even if it doesn't happen as often as I would hope.

I wish I could share the same sentiment. It might make me less of a cynic.

I wish I could share the same sentiment. It might make me less of a cynic.

I am also part-cynic. I guess I have to believe it is possible, or what's the point?

To simply put it, yes I do believe eternal love is possible.
Maybe the physical aspect of the love disappears, the people are miles and miles apart, but I believe there is a deeper connection and love spans beyond what we know and comprehend.

People change but love doesn't die.

Oh love... We come back to this often don't we? I do not know about anyone else's love. I only know of mine, and even that, I only know what I have known up to this point in time.

I will say that so far, geography has had nothing to do with my own love for others, or the love I feel has bonded me to the lives of the people I believe are my soul mates. Yes, I have one more than one.

I have friends that I can not see anything ever changing my love for them. I even know a particular one who has wronged me in a way that we no longer speak, but my love for this individual remains, and I believe in my heart of hearts that one day we will work past this. Today is not the day.

Perhaps it is what I have been through from a really young age with my family that makes me believe in such a way, in such a love, in my own ability to love.

But love, true love, as I have said many times before on this particular forum is unconditional and never ending. I can not see myself ever truly loving someone and then ceasing to love them, because if I did, then did I ever truly love them for who they are in the first place? Or did I label some overwhelming emotion love, to put it in a nice neatly wrapped box?

Reactions: bamf
Oh absolutely. People certainly could love each other forever. Special conditions would probably have to be met though.

I believe in love like that if you find the right person with same dedication.

See this is what gets me.... I suppose that since this is a thread on "together" forever and not just a one on one basis with love I understand.

I definitely understand the uncertainty about others. Just because I love a particular way does not mean another will love me in the same way.

But love does not need to be reciprocated to be love. It would be nice, definitely. I suppose that perhaps I misinterpreted the initial question.

*yet another deep, deep sigh*

I'd love to be an optimist and say that there is such a thing as genuine, everlasting love, but frankly, I believe that such a thing happening is more a matter of circumstances than a matter of purity of the soul. Translation?: I think that I could love someone forever; I just don't expect anyone to do the same for me.

Then again, I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised.
I was going to say that since I know that I can love someone for the rest of my life, I expect that there will be someone else who feels the same and hopefully we'll meet and find that we're right for one another. I am optimistic regarding love. I don't believe in soul mates, though. I believe in compatibility, and there are scores of people on the planet each one of us here is compatible with. It's just a matter of chance or effort or whatever it takes if you want it.

If someone doesn't love me the same way that I love them, I end it. I refuse to settle. In doing so, I hope to come across someone who has the same definition of love as I and I he. The realistic aspect is that my finickyness could lead to a lifetime of being single. But I'd rather be single than shackled to a cold-fish or a liar or a narcissist etc. etc.

Last edited:
That's impossible.

I've been in many relationships that failed, including three marriages, but I still believe strongly that love *can* last forever.

I was going to say that since I know that I can love someone for the rest of my life, I expect that there will be someone else who feels the same and hopefully we'll meet and find that we're right for one another. I am optimistic regarding love. I don't believe in soul mates, though. I believe in compatibility, and there are scores of people on the planet each one of us here is compatible with. It's just a matter of chance or effort or whatever it takes if you want it.

True. But then again, there's always that whole aspect of you thinking you've found someone who is totally right for you, and you share your goals, dreams and experience what you think is pure, loving devotion... and then years afterwards, somewhere along the way, it turns out that they're not who you thought they were. Then you got to start over. And you only get so many shots at it before that clock runs out.

That's why I said I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.

Man, I hope I'm not raining on anyone's parade. I'm just a tad bit bitter.

True. But then again, there's always that whole aspect of you thinking you've found someone who is totally right for you, and you share your goals, dreams and experience what you think is pure, loving devotion... and then years afterwards, somewhere along the way, it turns out that they're not who you thought they were. Then you got to start over. And you only get so many shots at it before that clock runs out.

That's why I said I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.

Man, I hope I'm not raining on anyone's parade. I'm just a tad bit bitter.
I rain on my own parade all day long. I've considered what you mentioned numerous times. Like, what if I marry Mr. Wonderful and he ends up to be a child molestor 20 years later?
It happens.

I am trying to trust my own intuition regarding people more lately. That's the only thing I can say about that. I've trusted it recently and it's not failed me, after having ignored it for over a year! I'm being totally subjective now, but in these matters, my head usually screams: "Move on! This isn't it! You're only prolonging something meaningful!" I'm going to trust that more.... for whatever this reply is worth.

Last edited:
I believe that people can love each other in the feeling/experience sense of the word forever, but I think that as the fallible, flawed humans that we are we can fall down in action/verb sense of the word and that's what tears people apart. I think that finding that balance and working at it is the key and of course like anything involving people that can get really complicated.
I like the idea of having many soul mates depending on where you are psychologically/emotionally at any given time, so it's up to you to sort your own head out to give yourself the best chance at finding total happiness in all areas including love.