bamf

Is Watching You
Retired Staff
Apr 9, 2009
MBTI
Meh
Enneagram
Meh
Tim James is currently running for governor of Alabama. I came across his campaign video today, and it scares me. He is a republican candidate, and is pushing to reform the drivers license process. It is currently offered in 12 different languages in Alabama, and Mr. James promises to only offer it in English, should he be elected. Obviously, this is playing off of conservative fears of illegal immigration, which I will refrain from discussing my points of view on, but his justification of it is what scares me. He says "It just makes sense." What's even worse, is this is the type of word-lab bullshit that people gobble up.

"Yeah! Fuck the illegals, they took our jobs. Let's get back at them by only offering the test in English."
"Hell yeah! That will show the bastards!"

The problems I see are two fold--1.) regardless of nationality or citizenship, drivers licenses are notorious for being obtained easily. 2.) by only offering it in English, Alabama would effectively be discriminating against American citizens who cannot read English, but can another language. We have no official language, English is not the American language. And to further the stupidity of this arguement, the only reasoning for it is "it just makes sense."

Here's the video, judge for yourself

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B9ohsvJHkbY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B9ohsvJHkbY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Reactions: Skathac
If I were going to argue for this, I would go the economic route. The state goverment has to produce test and materials in all of those languages, setting it to strictly english would reduce the cost of having to print so many different languages of material.

How are illegals getting driver's licences anyway?

It shouldn't be permitted in English, but it should only be in Redneck.

It just makes sense!

Reactions: bamf and acd
For the record, I am actually for the Arizona immagration law in its entirety, and I think this alabama thing is indeed much too far. I didn't watch the video, but the still image tells me he is a social conservitive bent on total control of others. Make athourity and do not question it what so ever kind of deal. The fact is this law is discrimintory to people who could legally be here, and driving is a necessity. I will not lie I believe that if you move to the united states, and you can not speak english at all, you should have to learn it, but you don't need to be absolutely perfect. This is unfair.

Sad to have such people running for political power, such mentality is truly despicable.

Regardless if he is against illegal immigration, this is way past the line of discrimination.

Last edited:
total BS. All this give is me more reason to pick up spanish to fluency and go ask for an exam in it. This authoritarianism needs to stop

Reactions: Holden On
total BS. All this give is me more reason to pick up spanish to fluency and go ask for an exam in it. This authoritarianism needs to stop

Ha! That's a great idea! Perhaps if I ever need to retake my written driving test, I'll ask for it in French!

I know people say driving is a privilege, but it is also damn necessary in many places around the US, especially rural or suburban areas. While knowing English is highly preferred and required for some things it doesn't demand perfect fluency for driving on the roads. The majority of road signs are symbolic and its recognition of colors and shapes that tell most people what to do on the road. Minimum English is required. Its like many high school students that try to learn Spanish will understand a few key words here and there if they come across them, but be damned if they can actually speak Spanish fluently. So should it require that an exam or instruction booklet be provided in another language so all citizens can have the best possible comprehension and learning for the traffic laws then that should be given. Don't force it in one language and risk perpetuating unsafe drivers on the road. Most states are pretty lax on their driving standards as it is. The languages should stay, like we've said we don't want to punish American citizens who don't primarily speak English. If you're so concerned about people that are getting drivers licenses that aren't supposed to then put more punishments for having one if you're not legal and don't have authentic identification proving your citizenship. Then also get stricter on punishing people that granted them their licenses in the first place.

In Kansas the written test is a joke, and the driving test is even more of one. The DMV just makes you drive around the nearest neighborhood going slow, you don't even get tested on busy streets or highways. Then of course parking your car isn't tested here. Nor is anything about vehicle maintenance and what to do in emergency situations.

In my opinion the real issue that should be addressed is the safety of the drivers we let drive on the roads. It shouldn't be hindered on language barriers, but instead on legality of your right for one in America and your ability to drive a vehicle.

Last edited:
what are the twelve languages? It does appear just a little overboard to have that many.seeing as the US has two primary(or most commonly spoken) languages: english and spanish

Doesn't really matter. I can see someone from Poland who doesn't know much English taking the test so they can drive to English lessons... or something.
My great grandma came here from Czechslovakia and spoke 9 European languages and virtually no English.

She became fluent in English as she learned from her employers (she was a housekeeper).
Once she learned English, she ended up becoming pretty politically active and involved in her community.

Just sayin'. Cut immigrants some slack.

Reactions: Soulful
1. The written test is currently offered in American Sign Language, Arabic, Chinese, English, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Thai, and Vietnamese.

2. My wonderful state of Alabama does not print any study guide for this test in a language other than English.

3. That guy is a fucking douchebag.

4. He will very likely be the next governor of my state.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barnabas
He is playing the xenophobia card; it is one of the oldest tricks in the book.

There is good reason to be xenophobic though if you're poor.

Doesn't really matter. I can see someone from Poland who doesn't know much English taking the test so they can drive to English lessons... or something.
My great grandma came here from Czechslovakia and spoke 9 European languages and virtually no English.

She became fluent in English as she learned from her employers (she was a housekeeper).
Once she learned English, she ended up becoming pretty politically active and involved in her community.

Just sayin'. Cut immigrants some slack.

Well said.

1. The written test is currently offered in American Sign Language, Arabic, Chinese, English, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Thai, and Vietnamese.

2. My wonderful state of Alabama does not print any study guide for this test in a language other than English.

3. That guy is a fucking douchebag.

4. He will very likely be the next governor of my state.

From what nation do people come from if they speak Farsi?

Modern Iran is the historical birthplace, but it is spoken in many other places.

We have our fair share of immigrants but you can also run into folks that seem to just thrive on their bigotry.

For a state that kicked out or murdered most of its original population we do get mighty xenophobic sometimes. Reckon it boils down to the old "I SEEN IT FIRST" mentality or in this case stole it first.

Persia.. Modern day Iran.

Modern Iran is the historical birthplace, but it is spoken in many other places.

We have our fair share of immigrants but you can also run into folks that seem to just thrive on their bigotry.

For a state that kicked out or murdered most of its original population we do get mighty xenophobic sometimes. Reckon it boils down to the old "I SEEN IT FIRST" mentality or in this case stole it first.

I hadn't heard of it before, does it have ties to arabic? either way thanks, learn somethign new every day.

Ties and yet differences.
I don't really know anything more..The answer regarding the ties to Arabic.. lies in the ability to google search, my friend.