Thirst for Adventure | INFJ Forum

Thirst for Adventure

AUM

The Romantic Scientist
Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
4w5
Are INFJ's proned to be stimulated by risky adventures? As for me I feel so free and liberated everytime I get into a roller coaster, or bungy jumping. I've heart that's our Extraverted Sensing kicking in, is it true? I don't know, but I feel ALIVE when I do something like that.

Any thoughts?

Meh, if you're a thrillseeker/adrenaline junkie you'll be more enticed by such things. Introverts are probably less likely to be thrillseekers and J types might be less likely to try them. I think INFJs might be pretty split on this, it just depends on personal preferences.

I can relate to the feeling though, and I can see how some become addicted to it but I am not personally one of those people. I do love adventure though... safe, well planned adventure :wink:

I love roller coasters and most thrill rides. I can't take the spinning ones though. I have very little tolerance for lateral g's I guess. Get severely dizzy and nauseous from em.

Most recent coaster ride: Wild Thing at Valley Fair near Minneapolis, MN
[youtube]h_fbAB4MZa8[/youtube]

And Renegade, Also at Valley Fair
[youtube]76wW9G37cPM[/youtube]

If I can go really fast, really far, and I can convince myself in my head that the risk of getting hurt (physically or emotionally) is low. I will SO be all over it! Hence my love for: skiing, roller coasters, riding bikes very fast, sitting in the back of a flatbed truck while doing donuts (everyone should try this, it is so much fun!), and just random things along these lines with my friends.

If I can go really fast, really far, and I can convince myself in my head that the risk of getting hurt (physically or emotionally) is low. I will SO be all over it! Hence my love for: skiing, roller coasters, riding bikes very fast, sitting in the back of a flatbed truck while doing donuts (everyone should try this, it is so much fun!), and just random things along these lines with my friends.

How do you make donuts while sitting in the back of a truck. That's not natural lol, I'll try it out though

I love some good adventure! But then again, I also love my Se ;) I really like a good thrill -- roller coasters, rapids, even just driving really fast...and I like to imagine adventure as well~ No boring things for me, thanks, let's do something exciting!! :D

Meh, if you're a thrillseeker/adrenaline junkie you'll be more enticed by such things. Introverts are probably less likely to be thrillseekers and J types might be less likely to try them. I think INFJs might be pretty split on this, it just depends on personal preferences.

I can relate to the feeling though, and I can see how some become addicted to it but I am not personally one of those people. I do love adventure though... safe, well planned adventure :wink:

Actually, introversion/extroversion doesn't have so much to do with it; ISTPs are known to be into extreme sports

Actually, introversion/extroversion doesn't have so much to do with it; ISTPs are known to be into extreme sports

Fair enough. I wasn't sure, it just seemed logical for introverts to be less prone to thrill seeking.

And again, I do love adventure. I'm always up for road trips and interesting new experiences. I'm just not really in to roller coasters or sky diving and what not. I'll do those types of things every so often and enjoy it typically, but I don't actively seek out that sort of thing.

That's still cool, though -- one thing about thrill seeking over adventure is, after a while you need to keep getting more and more extreme with thrill seeking to get the same high. Adventure, well, it's addicting, but not quite as demanding in that sense ;)

My thrills are more mute, I guess. I can't do the roller coasters anymore and I really *really* have an aversion to free-falling escapades like parachuting or bungee-jumping. But I love to travel to places I've never been or try unusual foods or try an off-beat path.

I do like fast cars and riding in them, though. I once drove a reaaaaally sweet bucket-seat beauty of a T-Bird while my truck was being fixed. That puppy could do 0-60 in seconds and rode like a dream. And yeah, I did test it out on a flat stretch of highway. :D :m129:

I like my adrenaline to be a controlled release....

Not the systemic adrenaline dump that a fight or flight response produces. I hate the jitters.

I like a good bit of exploration, and enjoy the adventures that can come from delving into the unknown...

I'm not really a thrill junkie though. Although I do like roller coasters, and have always wanted to try skydiving. I suppose it's telling that despite wanting to, I still haven't actually done it...

An adventure I've wanted to go on for a few years now (and it'll take a few years more to get my life to a point where I have the money and time to do it) is thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. I mean start to finish, Georgia to Maine, in one go. Supposedly it takes about six months.

*in a whisper* And there's bears...

Oooh, I've always wanted to do trails...I'm really hoping to go backpacking someday, but somehow, I'm not sure that's going to happen...I'd like to do it at least once tho :)

I've never liked things like roller coasters or anything that drops you real fast. I had a very bad experience on a plane when I was real young...even watching the YouTube videos gave me a lot of anxiety. I am not, however, afraid of flying, unless the turbulence is real bad lol.

I've always been real adventurous about trying new foods or seeking new experiences and travel...but I am definitely not an adrenaline junkie!!

Nope....I have an extreme aversion to risk.

I've been on plenty of roller coasters before, but not once have they ever done anything for me. I didn't hate them, though...I was just completely indifferent to the experience.

I'm not much of a risk taker, or the adventerous type. I am in theme parks, though :D

For me, I get my biggest buzz right before a big confrontation.

Right before a fight starts with someone (I've been in quite a few) my adrenaline kicks in to overdrive and I devlope a acute sense of my body and sorroundings. I honestly feel like time slows down for me when I have a big jump of adrenaline, and it's help me win every fight I've been in.
(I've never had my ass kicked by someone in a real fight, even though I have little training in any sort of martial art)

This "adrenaline slow time effect" also helped me alot in highschool baseball. I played left field and only missed about 5 catches in the 2 years I played.

The area where it came into the biggest effect was during training for the Infantry. We were using a millitary laser tag system with blank rounds for fight simulation. There was three other guys and me agenst about 26 others in a wooded area. I was running from tree to tree, never stoped, changing magazines on the run, hitting people from all angles.

When the fight was over, us four took out all of the 26 others without any of us being hit, and after talking it over with the other 3, we all agreed that I had hit at least 12 of them myself.

I never had such a good "adrenaline high" as I did that day.