Things you never understood... | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Things you never understood...

Well trading/selling is usually centered around profit and/or utility.

If monetary value is equal and you don't consider utility then there's no point in trading. That'd be like me giving you a potato and you giving me an identical potato. We could just as easily not trade and save the effort - in fact, in a strictly literal sense, meeting and trading consumes energy so if we trade identical potatoes we actually both lose something in comparison to keeping our own potato.

Now on the other hand, if we say a potato and a bottle of water are monetarily equal, but I'm thirsty and you are hungry, your water is worth more to me than my potato and vice versa. In a case like that both can gain something from the trade.

Yes, but marketing is often about convincing you that you want the potato when you're not hungry. Then when the potato is profitable, the market is flooded with them and eventually people realize they aren't hungry and want water instead. So numerous potato firms close down and the whole cycle is repeated again with water.

Yes, but marketing is often about convincing you that you want the potato when you're not hungry. Then when the potato is profitable, the market is flooded with them and eventually people realize they aren't hungry and want water instead. So numerous potato firms close down and the whole cycle is repeated again with water.

Yes, that's what I dislike about marketing and advertising.

I'm actually far less likely to buy something while it's being advertised and I wait for sales, especially on Steam and such where some things drop as low as 99 cents at times. Usually that ends up being closer to what I think it's worth if I'm ever going to buy something at all.

Reactions: Tin Man
I never understood how people can willing accept explanations that exist only with in the fantasy world of the mind and not move out of or past it when knowledge is put in front of them..

For example, the gods of old reigned for a very long time. Zeus, Loki...Enki and Inanna.

The gods of old were personifications of natural forces so they live on even today eg Pan is the libidinal forces....so that stirring in your loins when you are aroused is Pan stirring within you!

literal christianity has muddied the waters

Last edited:
I don't understand the concept of economics. It boggles my mind. I mean, I understand on an individual level, one person gives another person something in expectation of something deemed of equal value in return. But beyond that I am completely lost. I don't really believe in the government being able to determine the value of something...the dollar for instance...I don't even know, I just don't understand it beyond the individual trading of property. But beyond that, I don't even understand the idea of property very well xD I just don't think humans can claim ownership over pieces of the natural world. We don't own anything. It's all a part of the world we were born into, and we're all going to die at some point and then none of what we considered our "property" means shit. It's just a lie people tell themselves so they can feel like they are safe, or like they matter. That's how I see it anyway. Well I'm just rambling now.

Soooo basically I don't understand large-scale economics.

It seems people bend economic theory to reality in order to justify the way they want to behave so those that believe in governmental interference in the markets will call themselves 'keynesians' and those that believe in free markets will call themselves followers of 'hayek' after the two contrasting economists

The austrian school seems to have an approach which is more inutitive by looking at the behaviour of individuals rather than pretending that mathematical models can be used for everything

But i agree with the spirit of what you are saying that putting a monetary value on things has a very damaging effect on our psyche.....the implications being that we end up putting a price tag on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING and EVERYONE when really everything is priceless...its totally sacrilegious!

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I dislike about marketing and advertising.

I'm actually far less likely to buy something while it's being advertised and I wait for sales, especially on Steam and such where some things drop as low as 99 cents at times. Usually that ends up being closer to what I think it's worth if I'm ever going to buy something at all.

I swear that the Steam sale is a game unto itself! One that I highly enjoy.

Edit: Speaking of the devil, the summer sale is starting today.

Last edited:
People don't own or possess things inasfar that social agreements give certain rights and/or obligations to people.

Property is not a thing, but a relationship amongst people about things. According to Hann, property is a social relationship that governs the conduct of people with respect to the use and disposition of things. Anthropologists analyze these relationships in terms of a variety of actors' (individual or corporate) "bundle of rights" over objects. An example is the current debates around intellectual property rights. Hann and Strangelove both give the example of a purchased book (an object that he owns), over which the author retains a "copyright". Although the book is a commodity, bought and sold, it has not been completely "alienated" from its creator who maintains a hold over it; the owner of the book is limited in what he can do with the book by the rights of the creator. Weiner has argued that the ability to give while retaining a right to the gift/commodity is a critical feature of the gifting cultures described by Malinowski and Mauss, and explains, for example, why some gifts such as Kula valuables return to their original owners after an incredible journey around the Trobriand islands. The gifts given in Kula exchange still remain, in some respects, the property of the giver.

I have never understood what is all the fuss with cats.

I think I have it, but not with the kind you posted.
I like big cats...and dangerous.

Cats are cute, and for the most part you dont have to mold your life around them. IE, they use a liter box....most of the time.

I still don't understand why women go to the bathroom in groups. I've asked, and none have ever given me a good reasonable explanation.

Reactions: just me
I think I have it, but not with the kind you posted.
I like big cats...and dangerous.

I like big cats too, it's just that having them as pets seems somewhat too demanding.

I still don't understand why women go to the bathroom in groups. I've asked, and none have ever given me a good reasonable explanation.

I'd explain it to you, but I'm not going to betray my own gender.