Things you never understood... | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Things you never understood...

Where to begin? I never understood why some people choose to just give up instead of resolving a problem.

I can't comprehend how we were able to build these gigantic monuments like the pyramids even in ancient times. If everybody was like me there would just be constant revolts and whoever survived the bloodbath would emerge as nomads who don't bother wasting their precious time on elaborate monuments :p

Yeah, I think most of those types of things were built on slave labor, by oppressed or imprisoned people. I guess a lot of them didn't revolt because they didn't have hope of a better future. But I think revolting in a situation like that is a good thing!

I feel like I get what you're saying...but this video still makes me feel so uncomfortable and creeped out. Maybe it's all the anger :shocked:

I feel like I get what you're saying...but this video still makes me feel so uncomfortable and creeped out. Maybe it's all the anger :shocked:

You mean my video?

Nobody is angry there. Except Karkat and Karkat is pretty much ALWAYS angry for some reason or other.

Like if we were in some sort of post-apocalyptic wasteland and some person asked me for some of my water, I would be like "sure" and give it to them, and then I wouldn't expect anything in return except maybe that they would want to keep me company. But if not that's cool I guess.

This means, unfortunately, that you would be trampled upon like a small flower in mud under a boot in the rain. That's humans at their worst, and it is a tragedy when you know how good they can be.

This means, unfortunately, that you would be trampled upon like a small flower in mud under a boot in the rain. That's humans at their worst, and it is a tragedy when you know how good they can be.

Then that's the way I would want to go ;)

Reactions: casie
You mean my video?

Nobody is angry there. Except Karkat and Karkat is pretty much ALWAYS angry for some reason or other.

Haha yeah. I don't know why, it just sounds angry to me. But it's probably just a sound-sensitivity thing

I don't understand the concept of economics. It boggles my mind. I mean, I understand on an individual level, one person gives another person something in expectation of something deemed of equal value in return. But beyond that I am completely lost. I don't really believe in the government being able to determine the value of something...the dollar for instance...I don't even know, I just don't understand it beyond the individual trading of property. But beyond that, I don't even understand the idea of property very well xD I just don't think humans can claim ownership over pieces of the natural world. We don't own anything. It's all a part of the world we were born into, and we're all going to die at some point and then none of what we considered our "property" means shit. It's just a lie people tell themselves so they can feel like they are safe, or like they matter. That's how I see it anyway. Well I'm just rambling now.

Soooo basically I don't understand large-scale economics.

Economics is basically a study of wants and needs but there's not enough stuff to go around for everyone, so value is created based on how much of one type of stuff is available versus how much it is needed/wanted. No informed person will trade more for something he/she can get cheaper elsewhere. When this principle is magnified and applied on a mass as opposed to individual level, you get macro-economics and value is created by social averages rather than by individual tastes in a meeting of the minds called a market.

However, some things are easier to produce than others and some people might have the advantage of being able to provide a product that's in high demand and block other people from being able to reproduce and sell it at a lower cost. Theoretically, the government is just there to referee and make sure that the system is not unfairly exploited. In practice, its more complex as the entire system is so intricately connected, that one policy may have ramification in a completely different and sometimes unexpected area of society, so it becomes a balancing act. The other thing to consider is that government isn't a neutral referee either and depends on the biases and perspectives of those in power.

Reactions: barbad0s
all the manifestations of da lawz of physics in reality... how?

people who hate to exercise... why?

tolerance for animal cruelty... why?

women who make high pitched sounds with their vocal chords... why?

bakeries that use too much aluminium baking powder and make their product taste bad... why?

fashion... why?

materialism... why?

Economics is basically a study of wants and needs but there's not enough stuff to go around for everyone, so value is created based on how much of one type of stuff is available versus how much it is needed/wanted. No informed person will trade more for something he/she can get cheaper elsewhere. When this principle is magnified and applied on a mass as opposed to individual level, you get macro-economics and value is created by social averages rather than by individual tastes in a meeting of the minds called a market.

However, some things are easier to produce than others and some people might have the advantage of being able to provide a product that's in high demand and block other people from being able to reproduce and sell it at a lower cost. Theoretically, the government is just there to referee and make sure that the system is not unfairly exploited. In practice, its more complex as the entire system is so intricately connected, that one policy may have ramification in a completely different and sometimes unexpected area of society, so it becomes a balancing act. The other thing to consider is that government isn't a neutral referee either and depends on the biases and perspectives of those in power.

I feel like you just explained that really well, but some of it still sounds like a foreign language to me. But thanks anyway :)

Things I don't understand...

• British humor
  • How computers work. How the internet works.
  • Communist economics
  • How cars and other pieces of machinery work
  • How charities and non-profit organizations work
  • Wine-tasting and whiskey and other alcohol aficionados
  • The popularity of dub-step
  • The obsession with sex and gender identity
  • People that spend money on dressing up their pets and taking them to pet spas and buying them ridiculously expensive organic food
  • People who enjoy watching sports instead of playing them

one more thing:

when people have a real physical reaction from watching something on TV or reading something... calm the fuck down it can't touch you in any way whatsoever

I think we need to define "understand".

I don't understand people who have unfaltering confidence in themselves and their convictions.

gender bashing as a resistance or protest strategy has never made sense to me. Maybe I'm just brainwashed by feminism or the patriarchy. :D if you're going to fight, fight against the thought processes behind sexism, the arrogance behind gender stereotyping, but it solves nothing to be anti-male or anti-female. Same with racism. Question the logic of the thinking and the behavior, but resorting to gender bashing just makes people more defensive and feel affirmed in their beliefs about the "opposing or other" side who is fighting against them. Bashing creates more hate, reinforces negative feelings, increases discrimination and encourages more separatism and segregation because everything is still being worded as us vs. them. I've been guilty of this as well so I don't presume innocence on this one. However, I've realized it doesn't help to be seen as anti-anyone based on group associations. Just like those who use anti-rich people bashing to justify robin hood tactics. Allows you to lump everyone in one category without recognizing and respecting the individual differences in people.

Last edited:
My parents are the same way with me. My mom would never let me give money to homeless people and my dad just never expects the best in everyone like I do, so sometimes he sees me as being naive. But I'm really not naive, I just choose to hope for the best except maybe if it comes down to protecting my own life.

You guys ever wonder that there may be a reason you feel the way you do with economics? Maybe those that feel they have it all figured out aren't right at all.

The problem is, a lot of people seem to buy into these sort of faulty theories. I accept theories based off of objective facts, but not those which at their core rely on assumptions as to the nature of human behavior. Because I think human nature is very individual and must be looked at in terms of individual personalities, experiences, etc. I think most of modern economic or social or political theory is inherently flawed. But for some reason people want to keep believing it...

I don't understand skinny and fat-shaming.

There are many things that I don't understand, but why I even need to understand?

I don't understand why I born, why I am here, is there a some special reason for that? I don't understand why humans are so bad.

If love is the reason why I born, why I did end suffering? Just to live and suffer?

Lol... Too deep. I am ending it here. .__.

I don't understand people who have unfaltering confidence in themselves and their convictions.

My understanding is that they don't play, there is a seriousness to them, a openess to risk and responsability that wins the respect of people. Its all in the character.

I know nothing. There's nothing that I understand, because the motive behind everything is corrupt and meaningless. When I saw the name of the thread, I just heard the Dr. Cox character from Scrubs saying "everything everything everything everything everything everything" over and over again. It's still going!