The Use of Philosophy | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

The Use of Philosophy

Of course philosophy matters. Without philosophy, we would not have a "scientific method". Further, the wrong philosophy can literally disable science and prevent progress.

True. This reminds me of Russell lamenting the "harm" that the Aristotelian system has done by, as it were, being too influential on scientific thought and thus ossifying it until well into the Renaissance.

True. This reminds me of Russell lamenting the "harm" that the Aristotelian system has done by, as it were, being too influential on scientific thought and thus ossifying it until well into the Renaissance.

I'm not really a fan of Russells views on mathematics and epistemology. Our views are completely opposing.

Reactions: Wyote and Ren
In terms of philosophical writings, aphorisms mostly. Or at least that's what I call them. You can have a peek at my blog here if you're curious. I wouldn't consider myself a professional philosopher or anything, I'm just someone who muses a lot and jots down his thoughts, and subsequently tries to organise them in systematic fashion.

What about you?

I haven't written anything in a long while. I've had an idea about writing a treatise for several years, but I continually procrastinate and put off doing it. I think it may forever remain an idea that I want to do, but never get around to. I think I may be too lazy a writer.

Edit: I enjoy your writing though. I've been looking through some of it.

Edit: I enjoy your writing though. I've been looking through some of it.

Thanks man, I appreciate it a lot that you took the time to have a read :) Feel free to ask me anything about it if you have questions.

I'm not really a fan of Russells views on mathematics and epistemology. Our views are completely opposing.

What main faults do you find with Russellian epistemology? Not disagreeing, just genuinely curious.

Let's take "philosophy" in the broadest possible sense. What do you think is its use? Why does it matter?

We often hear that philosophy is a thing of the mind, that it is an ivory tower kind of activity with no real impact on the world of human affairs. Other times we hear that even as an abstract discipline it has been superseded by science. What's your take on this?

Do you consider philosophy to be important and if so, why is it important to you?

When I think of philosophy I think of bricks. All the time we are learning something new and this in itself is building our understanding of the world and our beliefs. Without philosophy this understanding which is always in the process lies on a shaky foundation - there's just simply no firm ground.

We as humans differ from other species because we can plan, reason, think about the future and contemplate. Using philosophy makes us think, it makes us more human and it makes us live.

Of course, due to its' open nature, philosophical ideas tend to be also open for interpretation, so instead of becoming a force of action it becomes a simple mind masturbation, but in my case, I try to look at things from practical side, so I use philosophy as a guide that inspires me to live well.

Let's take "philosophy" in the broadest possible sense. What do you think is its use? Why does it matter?

We often hear that philosophy is a thing of the mind, that it is an ivory tower kind of activity with no real impact on the world of human affairs. Other times we hear that even as an abstract discipline it has been superseded by science. What's your take on this?

Do you consider philosophy to be important and if so, why is it important to you?

As I was reading this, my beau looked over my shoulder and asked what I was reading about. As I was thinking about what I read, I levelled the question to him as well, being someone who has little to no background in philosophy (after all, I find myself rather biased to the question ). His question echoed "what do they mean by philosophy?", to my amusement. But he brought up a good point. Is it philosophy in the sense that it's what someone thinks? I couldn't give a clear yes or no on that.

I think as a practise, it is both useful and powerful. Being someone so rooted in logic, I think that one should have a belief system that is harmonious. In other words, if one belief contradicts another, one should be removed or adjusted. Philosophy is a good way to analyze and process our beliefs. This could be in one of many branches. Ethics to analyze our moral codes, metaphysics to analyze how we perceive the world around us, logic to process how we collect and store knowledge.
In thought, it is definitely a form of mental masturbation to a lot of people. It feels good to think about things, toy with ideas like one fits pieces into a complicated jigsaw puzzle. In practice, it can be pragmatic. I think science, psychology, and philosophy make a very strong trifecta. People use it to influence, manipulate, or affect change. For example, a scientist makes a revolutionary discovery. It has proven something groundbreaking. That's science. How does this discovery affect them? What is their visceral reaction? What is the most effective way to deliver this upheaval to the masses? That's psychology. Their thought processes? How does this fit into their belief system? What has to change to accommodate it? Is it right to share this with the world? That's philosophy.
In a more general sense, philosophy is the chase for truth, but it isn't the only tool to search for truth. I don't think science has superseded it, though it has changed philosophy's role in some things. I believe it is definitely still a quite useful tool.

Reactions: Ren