The nature of love | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

The nature of love

i see your point, and i think it may have more to do with our interpretations of 'unconditional'.
a parent, i would think especially a mother, has a bond to the child that has nothing to do with them. it's hardwired. that's what i perceive to be the unconditional part of their love for them.
with a partner, for instance, you would have to create that bond, and i believe it wouldn't be the same.
not to say both couldn't be...oh dear if i'm talking in circles now i apologize. i have a really good excuse and a note from my mother...

Okay first I need to see the note (and bring bridge mix).

The definition of unconditional, hmm. That makes sense. I mean to me the idea of unconditional love is exactly that - I love you without any conditions. But with a child it is different. It is I love you without conditions but I will also cut my arm off to save you. Whereas I don't know if that is the same as loving someone unconditionally (without conditions). I'm still pondering this.

Last edited:
[MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION]. I agree. I believe that most of things (if not everything) that people do are in an effort to seek love and connection. I think this at the heart of most human experience and interaction. But because many people have not had the luxury to feel the grace of unconditional love and self acceptance- they continously seek it through external means and validation- relationships (often negative), approval form their peers and society, consumerism, arrogance, greed, hurting others, addictions, abuse etc, anything to fill that emptiness that cannot be filled. And yes I think that clinginess/aggressiveness/defensiveness/offensiveness/arrogance/dominance/submissiveness/passiveness/lack of self confidence are all manifestations of the same underlying issue- the absense of unconditional love and self acceptance.
I think that people have been taught to feel this way- by our societies, cultures, many of our religions, many of our families. That we are not good enough, that we constantly need to prove ourselves to earn love, that we are born sinners. We have all these riduclous measures of success in our culture mainly centred around materialism, being popular, or being 'better' than others. if these things really made people happy that why the hell are they so miserable?
And yes, unfortunately many people prey on this void to take advantage of people- but I think that those predators and scavengers of human emptiness are experiencing the same deep issue as their victims- the lack of unconditional love and self acceptance. Everything that happens just becomes a hollow compensation for what we really desire- which is true self acceptance and unconditional love. Ironically, this gift is free available and never depreciates in value, yet it is so hard to accept.

the love between a parent and a child seems to be the blueprint (see: judaism, christianity, and islam, and whatever religion uses the parent-child consciousness-human symbol) for that love to given to all freely, instead of only genetic family.

I like this- thank you. An extension of the love afforded by you to your own family, to the greater human family. We are all brothers and sisters. Everyone is someone's son, daughter. Its all the same.
My daughter is an only child- and I do not plan on having any more children, unless I adopt later in life. Many people say to me that she will become spoilt or lonely because she doesnt have any siblings. I couldnt disagree more- I think she has 6 billion siblings to learn to share with and connect with.

I hope this doesn't make me sound like some inhuman monster, but I would like to offer my own perspective/experiences.

I didn't feel immediate love for my son when I found out I was pregnant with him. With my current pregnancy I'm still battling feelings of annoyance over the inconvenient timing of it all though I do not doubt in the slightest I will love this child as much as my son. Even after I had my son and saw him for the first time, the feeling I had was more than anything a feeling of "responsibility". As I took care of him I grew to love him very very much, pretty quickly. But it still required me to get to know him on my part. I did not experience that sudden rush of OMG I LOVE YOU! that I hear some parents talk about. I felt completely responsible for his life and his well being, but...love love? I don't know. Unless that feeling of responsibility is what they are talking about.

Without a doubt now I unconditionally love him, I'm sure he could murder someone and I'd still love him. But I wonder about the validity of this instantaneous parental love that I've heard talked about. I think most loves take some amount of time to manifest, even parental love. But that was just my experience.

Also, I did not experience any post partum depression.

I love babies and they love me. It has always been that way and I had lots of experience babysitting and baby whispering. However, I was still apprehensive when I found out I was pregnant and terrified of having my own baby.
Its hard to talk about these things- but yes I too didnt feel that instant connection, gooey bliss when I had my daughter. I felt an overwhelming sense of responsibility and apprehension.And maybe even a sense of dread that Ive just brought an innocent into this world. Generally, I try to limit my resposbilities and duties, because I take responsibility very seriously. I cant stand having anyone depend on me or having to depend on others. I like everything to be mutual, and equal. So when I had this squalling bundle of goodness in my arms, all I could think of was 'what the hell have I done!' 'Im not ready' 'My old life is over' 'This being is totally dependant on me and its terrifying','I dont want to responsible for someone else's life', plus I felt really exhausted and just wanted to go to sleep, not spend the next 6 weeks breastfeeding, changing nappies, soothing wails and being utterly time and sleep deprived. The 1st three months of having a baby is extremely hard. Its just constant survival and responding. However, while I felt this way, I had an underlying appreciation for the life or being that was my daughter. She was pure, uncorrupted, perfect, innocent, full of potential and possibilities. She was who she was, and that all that mattered. She could become whoever she wanted, and I knew that nothing would change the fact that I loved her and accepted her. At about 3 months when she started responding clearly to me was when I started feeling the gooeyness and bliss.

Any thoughts?
My tooth hurts and I'm thirsty. ;_;

How do you see love?
A heightened form of infatuation which leads to babies and heartbreak.

Do you think love has to be unconditional to be real love?
I hereby declare that no one's 'love' is truly unconditional. You won't love someone if they stomp on your foot everyday, tell you what a horrible person you are by the hour, and beat the shit out of your puppy.

I know, I know... I'm a cynic. Can't help it.

To me unconditional love is loving someone if they beat the shit out of you, flay you alive, kill your loved ones, eat you children, and even if they commit the greatest astrocity committed to man- the bombing of hiroshima. You love them because you forgive them, or maybe your forgive them because you love them. If someone is hurting you then its your personal responsibility to end that situation by removing yourself. Self abuse and abuse of others is abbhorant to principle of unconditional love. When you love yourself unconditionally and truly accept youself, nothing can hurt you. You already have grace and no one take that away from you.

This what I personally know and believe-

You were born into a state of grace and you will die in a state of grace. You are already whole and 'perfect'. Your soul is eternally valid. You have a right to be here. You are automous and do not need any external validation to accept the being that you are. You create your own reality through your consiousness. You have power to be who you wish to be. You have unlimited potential, possibilties and the power to create. You are like a star, a singularity exploding with possibilities. You conciousness and your body is your universe, and you are the master and have sole responsibilty for its state. No one can ever take this away from you, not even yourself. You may choose to not believe it, but it will remain true and this grace and power will continue to be available to you. It does not matter what you have done or not done in the past, your life is your own and you can live it however you wish. The only thing that can truly limit you is your beliefs and fears. You are worthy of love. You are capable of loving all others. You are a child of the universe, of God, of All That Is, and you deserve to be happy and fulfilled. You and I are equal, as are all people. You will never be better or worse. You are you who are and that is enough and it is all you need.

I dont know what you past experiences have been and I have no wish to make assumptions or judge you. My closest, dearest friend is an ENTP, and he was taught continiously by his family that he was not good enough. They never appreciated his inherent qualities and wanted him to be more like siblings or other people. They didnt understand the 'big' way he sees the world, his idioscynacries, his eccentricness and tried to smother his creativity and visionary thought. Some people that meet him now just assume he is arrogant because he has learnt how to compensate. But he actually has low self acceptance and belief form consistently feeling he falls short of others expectations. He does seek external validity to prove his self worth to himself. He is an amazing person and I am blessed to know him. He has struggled to learn to accept himself but he is getting there. I wish I could just 'give' him the grace that he needs, but he needs to find it himself, and its hard for him because of so many of the things that have happened. But he is getting there and Ive never seen him happier. He says its the first time he has been happy and content. He is able to live his life in the way he chooses now and forgive himself and others for past hurts. He is coming to accept himself and understand that he is vaild, and not worry about all the things he has done, has not done, failed, the judgement of others, and constantly trying to meet the expectations of others.

Unconditional love comes from true self acceptance. Accept yourself for you and what you are, and feel the grace that it affords you.

yes, and this is why i refer to them as requirements rather than expectations.

i have found that if i expect something from another person in a relationship, regardless of the type of relationship, there is always that niggling negativity associated with it.
when i see them as requirements and i express them as such the other person (at least in my own experience) is more responsive.
i never assume what another should do for me. (this is what i call expectation) only what i need in my own life to make it work. (what i call a requirement)
it may seem silly to nitpick it this way, and i've been accused more than once of overanalysing it lol but to me it makes perfect sense

Makes sense to me

Reactions: JGirl
Okay first I need to see the note (and bring bridge mix).

The definition of unconditional, hmm. That makes sense. I mean to me the idea of unconditional love is exactly that - I love you without any conditions. But with a child it is different. It is I love you without conditions but I will also cut my arm off to save you. Whereas I don't know if that is the same as loving someone unconditionally (without conditions). I'm still pondering this.

ummmm the dog ate my note
but i will bring bridge mix if you eat all those dark chocolate ones with the minty insides
ooooh i hates the minty ones

Reactions: #@&5&49
[MENTION=4956]Asarya[/MENTION],

It seems like you are talking about what I call transcendent love, some call universal love, and others call God's love. I feel like I have certain mundane beliefs about love. What it is. What it is not. But I also believe as a species we are capable of transcendent love. This is love beyond any mundane attachment or condition - love that just Is. I think within transcendent love amazing things are possible and the need to define it becomes irrelevant. I think if we don't annihilate ourselves and every other living thing our species will eventually evolve into transcendent love.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quiet and muir
It's one of those things that springs out of feeling really connected to someone-- like you just have this immediate understanding that sort of transcends time and space and makes you feel immediately familiar. It makes you better because suddenly you feel like you have a reason to improve yourself and be better in order to support someone else. You feel like suddenly you want to grow up, and be more responsible, and do whatever it takes to not lose the person you're with… and it's actually easy because it finally makes sense for a change.

It's when you can comfortably sit in a room with someone and not feel like you need to talk or entertain or do anything to impress them… you can just be yourself and know that the other person will always accept that. They won't try to make you better because they understand that you'll do it on your own and if you have a problem then they'll always try to help you solve it. It was a line in Pulp Fiction as well but I firmly believe in the 'comfortably sharing silences' thing as a sign that you've found someone special…

It's actually a lot of work to maintain a good relationship but it's good work and you do it and you feel really satisfied by doing it… there's nothing manipulative or cruel or destructive about it… there's no planning or scheming or calculating or confusion-- everything is clear and you understand each other perfectly. You're not strange or lonely. You're not old or worn out. All of the cliches are true, and the fact that they're cliches doesn't ruin their impact. You're finally allowed to be lame, or silly, or stupid. You're permanently comfortable. You communicate openly, and even though you may argue, you always do it with a smile and all the patience in the world. You don't have to look your best or try to impress anyone. You don't have to care about what anyone else thinks, because you are accepted. You can finally just be yourself and do whatever you can to keep the relationship healthy/strong, because you know it's a good one, and you're content.

Yeah, it's a hard thing to find… and it can also be pretty hard to hold onto, but if you find it then never let go, because I did and even though I still have hope I think it's probably one of my biggest regrets.

Reactions: #@&5&49
From a site that I have been looking at recently- http://www.near-death.com/. I love these quotes.

Without feelings of self-love, the love we feel for others is counterfeit. We must love all others as ourselves. (Betty Eadie)

Above and beyond anything else, we must first learn to love ourselves non-judgmentally and unconditionally. Then we will actually love all people and all things the same way. (Laurelynn Martin)

The conquering of self is truly greater than were one to conquer many worlds. (Edgar Cayce)

Not all people are lovable, but when we find someone difficult for us to love, it is often because they remind us of something within ourselves that we don't like. (Betty Eadie)

The minute we judge others for their faults or shortcomings, we are displaying a similar shortcoming in ourselves. We don't have the knowledge to judge people accurately here. Only God knows the heart of man, and only God can judge perfectly. He knows our spirits; we see only temporary strengths and weaknesses. Because of our own limitations, we can seldom look into the heart of man. (Betty Eadie)

Love is not blind - it sees more, not less. But because it sees more, it is willing to see less. (Rabbi Julius Gordon)

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience. (Dr. Wayne W. Dyer)

In the spiritual universe, sin is not seen in the same way as it is here. In the spirit world, all things are learning experiences. We are here in this world to make mistakes, to learn and grow from them.

This is the simple secret to improving humanity: The amount of love you received during your life is equal to the love you gave. It is just that simple. (Dannion Brinkley)

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. As humans, we are all linked together. What one person does affects everyone else. This is why it is important to help people. We are not only helping them, we are helping ourselves and everyone else. And this is why powerful spirit entities on the other side are trying to help us. Until we all progress spiritually, the powerful spirit entities on the other side cannot fully progress. But, a simple smile has within it the power to alter the whole course of world history, change the balance of power, and save the universe. (Kevin Williams)

The truth of who I am, indeed, who we all are, is perfect love as a creation of God. (Linda Stewart)

In the search for truth, all paths lead to love, the Spirit of God. (Sandra Rogers)

The best example of love for me are my children. This makes me think true love is unconditional.

All, Amazing revelations! [MENTION=4956]Asarya[/MENTION] [MENTION=5224]Sadie[/MENTION] You are knowledgeable about unconditional love! And can I add? Unconditional love is existence itself! We all love one another, but we do not know it or we do not know how to express it... Our other emotions hate, dislike, anger, frustration are all distortions of this love acting as distractions... When we think we are falling in love with another - we are actually learning to love ourselves, the other person only kindled it... Yes! when we can love ourselves unconditionally we can love every single being on earth unconditionally... Love you! Have a great day!

Reactions: Quiet
It's been a while since I posted and someone liked it, so I suppose I shall update my feelings, since I am an ever changing human.

Any thoughts?
None. I think sexual abuse has that side effect. (I love distorting this first question since I don't have many thoughts on the original post.)

How do you see love?
I see love as being when two people care about one another beyond the bounds of rationality. That is to say, rationality says love will only get you hurt - this applies to all love, familial, friendly, and loverly. Of course, love will cause a lot of hurt. If a loved one dies, you will hurt. If a loved one abandons you, you will hurt. If a relationship breaks, whichever kind it may be, you will hurt. It's easy to say that love is a lie, a fake, a fraud, a terminal condition of human thinking which makes us self-defeating.

But it isn't. The fact that you can be hurt so bad tells you the deeper truths about it. The pain is the realest pain imaginable. Yes, being sexually abused sucks, it has ripped my brain to shreds over the past days, but more hurtful than that has been the responses of my loved ones: from friends claiming it was my fault or that it was no big deal, to certain family members saying I asked for it... that is the most hurtful of all. It wouldn't be hurtful from people I know. If Anonymous got wind of my story and started saying I had it coming, I deserved it, whatever else, okay, fuck it, they're a bunch of random assholes. When those I thought of as loved ones - friends and family - claim that I had it coming, or I deserved it, or that it was my fault... that's what hurts most.

So I learned from being sexually assaulted that love is real.

It seems an odd thing to say that because some guy I wasn't into touched and threatened me against my will, that I learned how real love is, but it's true. I learned that the people I loved didn't love me back. My best friend was not a best friend, much the opposite. My other best friend, his girlfriend, was not much of a best friend. My third best friend, she is a good friend, but I can't talk to her for a while. I still love her very much and I know she loves me too, and is concerned, but I can't talk for a while. I learned that my biological father may love me but his compassion is so low it's hard to tell. I learned that my dad loves me enough to beat and possibly murder people for hurting me. I learned that my mom loves me enough to say 'fuck the world' and try to persuade me into filing charges in spite of other damage it may do. I learned that my sister loves me a lot, as well, as the faces she made while I was describing what happened spoke volumes.

So you know, I may have had a bad romantic history, and my friend/family history has been rocky, but I know love now. I know it exists. I know the power of it. I may be hurting like mad, but I am truly touched. My perspective on love seems to be that it's a deep caring for someone else that transcends all boundaries. My dad is opposite me in every way, but I love him to death. He doesn't like that I'm a transgendered communistic atheist. He loves me yet enough to kill those who harmed me. (Though I'm making sure he doesn't.) Love is being willing to put yourself at risk to defend those who are important to you. Love is being able to throw the whole world aside and throw yourself on the line. Love is the greatest truth that I had missed out on.

I know there's a lot more to love than I can describe here. I feel a lot more to it. I know there's more to it. I don't know how to describe these things or haven't thought through them, but they are very real, and after my sexual assault, I appreciate that love exists, and the power that it holds.

I feel like before this experience I was so busy being bitter that I couldn't love. I couldn't truly love myself, nor others. After reaching this low and new level of hurt, I realize that love is the most important thing in the universe. I am now working towards a mode where I desperately try to love. I'm reaching out for it with everything I've got. I'm turning around to all those people who love me that I should have been loving back, and saying, okay, I get you now. I'm sorry for everything.

My primary concern now is to love, and love deeply, to grow my love, and to spread love wherever it is needed. Hate breeds hate, and hate bred hate in me. Now I want hate to die. I want love to breed love, I want love to emanate from every part of my being. I want so badly to love, and love unconditionally. It will take a while, especially after so much betrayal and years of bitterness, but I know it has to be done, because it is right, it is just, it is necessary for me.

To love is to be happy. To create happiness.

Do you think love has to be unconditional to be real love?
I don't think there can be such a thing as real love and fake love. I have loved people in the past, friends and family, and then they betrayed me, so I no longer love them. But I did, before I was bitter. My love wasn't unconditional, but it was real. I do believe now that love should be unconditional. I believe I should love everyone. I believe that no matter what has happened in my past or in my life, everyone deserves love. It will take a while for me to love he who molested me, and they who did not help, but I will sooner or later. Someday, I will be able to reach out to the person who molested me, and help them in their time of need, if such an opportunity presents itself, and I will do it unconditionally. I just hope they either learned or will learn.

I'm new to love, but I believe in it. Whether it lasts a day or lifetime, love is love. Optimally, it should be unconditional, but most people can't unconditionally love. I want to, but I'm not sure I can. I have faith that I will, but I'm not sure if it's as applicable as I think it is. Still yet, I wish to unconditionally love everyone, good and bad. The sinner is no worse than the saint because of her sins, nor is the saint better than the sinner for her holiness. They are all humans, deserving of love, and even if they have done me wrong, I will love them, sooner or later. I must. It is my duty.

I must admit, writing that rant made me feel dark, somewhat hopeless, overwhelmed, stressed, melancholy, hurt, ... like it's wrong.

I know, though, that my writing came from the heart and these things are what I truly want. I'm hurt from the abuse, I'm hurt from the past, and I've got a lot to work through. I'm definitely not ready at yet to just love everyone, most people, or even some of those who have hurt me. I have a long, and rough journey ahead of me. I feel weird saying these things, because having been dark for so long, I feel like I should still be. Like it's betraying myself to not want to dwell in bitterness and hate.

So, you know, only human. It's too big of a task to conquer right now. I need some recovery time from assault, and I need recovery time from the bitterness and hate, but today, the decision has been made, and the answers realized. I will recover and I will come back thousands of times stronger than ever.

I forgive him. I forgive him for what he did to me. I cannot yet love him, it has been too soon. When I was writing that last rant, though, I realized that I don't want him hurt, I don't want him in jail, I don't want him to suffer. I just want him to learn his lesson and not do these things to other people. I hope with all my being he does before he gets hurt. I can't take back what happened and what he did, but I can at least stand on my own two feet, and say that I will survive with gusto.

I'll probably always be a darkish and cynical person. That's just me. I'm a hopeful idealist too, though, and it shows sometimes. My darkness shan't be the result of bitterness, no, it is merely my logical side. I am allowed darkness and cynicism as it relates to the world and the universe - they are terrible places for a lot of people and doubtless lifeforms beyond our comprehension - but I can love everyone and thing in existence. That side of me should always be there to moderate the darkness and remind it frequently that, while everything isn't perfect, it's not complete hell either. To ignore the darkness would be a sad thing. Darkness, I find, is important to understanding the world and the human condition. Naturally, being cynical comes with the territory, but being those things doesn't mean I have to sacrifice myself or be unhappy, it doesn't mean I have to hate those in opposition.

All in all, thank you, [MENTION=4956]Asarya[/MENTION] for making this thread. I hope my mildly off topic rambling isn't too far off base. It's just something that had to be done.

p.s. no, I'm not going to be an always sunny optimist, so don't expect it. lol.

[MENTION=5358]unpersons[/MENTION], thank you so much for your posts. You had me in tears. They moved me deeply and they make perfect sense.

I dislike saying things like this, but I think I do know how you feel. It is so hard to let go of painful things, and to move past them seems like self betrayal. I have been there and struggled with that for many years. I have revelled and dwelled in self pity and self loathing, bitterness, cynism and hate. I have been self indulgent and miserable and found great satisfaction in it. And then after a while I just didnt want to be there anymore. I couldnt find it in myself. i couldnt stand being trapped and burdened. I couldnt stand myself. Everything became ugly. I knew intuitively that this wasnt how it could be, that i was choosing this and I could choose something else. Just wanted to be free, to strip everything off and fly free. To be who I was, no longer a product of my environment. To feel empowered and responsible and to know that the only person I truly have to answer to is myself. To look at myself in the mirror and know who and what I am, and love it. To be truly alive. Wanting to be free but being able to let go, for fear of betraying and denying myself. I am so sorry for all the pain, the sadness and the bitterness you have experienced. It is sad that so often we dont see people for who they are until we really need them. And it is always the people we love the most that have the power to hurt us the most. I am so sorry that you were sexually assaulted. I am so sorry for the way your friends have reacted and the lack of support. I am thinking of you and pray that you will be safe, happy and well.

Im so happy that you have been touched by love. Its strange, but it is always darkest before dawn. A little love is very powerful. It grows exponentially. Love is the most powerful energy. It literally conquors everything, not by destroying but by illuminating everything. I think that Love is far more than an emotion. It is a state of being. It is the creative force in All That Is.

My best friend has a line in one of his songs that I love and found very meaningful when I was hurting- 'Dont let the bitterness break you, youve got to learn how to survive. Dont have to erase those painful memories, just dont waste, dont waste in your mind'.

Its not about forgetting, or losing yourself, or denying your true self. But in many ways the only way we can move foward is by growing beyond ourselves. Every experience is extremely valuable and informative. So its not about discarding these memories, more about recognising we have the power in this moment to write our story any way we choose. Every minute, second, every moment is a fresh chance to be the person that we are, the person we want to be. Life is about right now. Fuck what has happened in the past or could happen in the future. Is only 'now' that counts. It is so easy to forget this, and waste the precious infinte now. I struggle with this a lot.

These are some of my favourite quotes from Zindell, about self transformation
We're the creators of out heavens. We create ourselves.

Yes, I could create myself, but to create I must uncreate first. To die is to live; to live I die.

What is real pain you ask? The power to choose what we will. Having to choose. This terrible freedom. These infinite possibilities. The taste for the infinite spoiled by the possibility of evolutionary failure. Real pain is knowing that you're going to die, all the while knowing that you don't have to die.

'What is a human being, then?'
'A seed'
'A... seed?'
'An acorn that is unafraid to destroy itself in growing into a tree.'

To be what you want to be: isn't this the essence of being human?

And thus he almost understood the important thing about gods, which is that they must continually create, or die. They must create themselves.

All rules and boundaries must someday be broken. How else can we go beyond ourselves? A thallow chick must break out of his egg, but this does not mean that the shell is without value.

You must remember that an oak tree is not a crime against the acorn.

You have moved me so deeply I do not care if i appear foolish or creepy- I Love you. I am thinking of you. I am feeling what you wrote very deeply. I wish I could be there with you, to be there in a tangible way. I am sending you all the Love I can muster. Isnt it beautiful, here we are, two strangers on the internet, randoms, anonomyous, just text on screen yet it is so much more. We are two beings of energy communicating and reaching out, motivated by Love. I wish you all the best and every happiness.

I dont know if you meditate, but here is a basic technique and one I use regularly. The Love I feel when I am in this place is overwhelming and utterly perfect. Basically I start be making sure Im in a comfortable enviroment, free from most distractions. i normally do this before bed. Lay down on you bed and make yourself comfortable. Concentrate on your breathing, taking deep breaths. Feel the oxygen entering your body and filling with you with life, and feel the weariness being expelled when you breathe out. Imagine your heart, picture it, see it pumping blood through your body. Dont let other thoughts distract you. Close your eyes, think of nothing but how your body feels, breathing, and your heart beat. Imagine yourself sinking into the bed, and floating in a cloud. Try to feel your feet, make them tingle or feel warm. Once your feet feel warm, move this warm sensation slowly up your body, concentrating on all the chakra points. Spend a few minutes at each chakra point. By the time you get to your heart chakra you should be feeling warm, calm, relaxed and elated. Concentrate with as much energy as you can on your heart chakra. Imagine an infinte line, that goes to the ends of the universe with you heart at the centre. Feel this intense, powerful infinte energy and then imagine your heart beating and circulating this energy through out your body, connecting you to all things. Concentrate on the emotion of Love. Whenever any stray thoughts enter your mind, replace it with Love. Feel it reverberating through you and filling you with Love and Grace. One by one, conciosuly go through all the most important people and events in you life, and see them through this powerful love energy. Feel the powerful Love that you feel for them. Feel the Love all around you, interconnecting everything. Feel yourself being freed and floating. Know that there is nothing to fear, nothing to hate, there is only love. When you are content, push the warmth futher up to your throat, and hold for a few minutes, and then to your forehead for a few minutes, and then to your crown. By this stage you should feel completely alive and filled with love. Imagine another infinite line, going all the way from the top of your crown, all through your body, stretching to the ends of the universe. Normally by the time I get to this stage I just feel so relaxed. peaceful, ecstatic and elated that I simply fall asleep.

This may not work the best the first time. Try it a few times, focusing on Love. This is not an official or traditional meditation, simply something that i found worked for me. These are just my thoughts.
And if you are interested, the two most powerful flower essences for self love and Love are Holly (from the bach flower system) and Sydney Rose (from the bush flower system). The flower essences shouldnt necessarilly turn you into a nutty whacked out hippie like me. But they are very powerful and can effect you very deeply, so only use them if you feel ready and comfortable.

I Love you, and pray that you will be okay

and sorry for going on and on, [MENTION=5358]unpersons[/MENTION], i also wanted to say I think its incredibly brave that you have been so honest. I really respect and admire that. Its really hard talking about all these things, examining and questioning, trying to move foward. Its just awesome and you're awesome.

Is it true that when we talk about love in society, the love between two adults for instance, that we speak of it in a way that emphasizes the benefits to the receiver. Rarely does it seem as though we acknowledge what a privilege it is for someone to have a person in their life whom they can offer their love. Yet if love just exists, then all that the other person is offering us is being sufficiently receptive to us to offer us the gift of being able to receive precisely that which we offer. And if we know our love can be received, then we have the opportunity to exist in love and to experience its sharing and its expression, which is really what love seeks to do doesn't it? To continuously be bountiful? So ideally, what relationships are on the highest level would be the opportunity to continuously live in the state of love... not to have needs met, but to peacefully, joyfully, and with a sense of compassion *be* love.

I think it is when our personality and psychological needs/desires come into play that we begin to find it more and more difficult to exist in a state where we are love and we seek to remain in love that continues to incessantly give birth to itself (I hope that makes sense). The closer we are to the state of love, the more possible unconditional love is for us to engage/express/experience.

Is it true that when we talk about love in society, the love between two adults for instance, that we speak of it in a way that emphasizes the benefits to the receiver. Rarely does it seem as though we acknowledge what a privilege it is for someone to have a person in their life whom they can offer their love. Yet if love just exists, then all that the other person is offering us is being sufficiently receptive to us to offer us the gift of being able to receive precisely that which we offer. And if we know our love can be received, then we have the opportunity to exist in love and to experience its sharing and its expression, which is really what love seeks to do doesn't it? To continuously be bountiful? So ideally, what relationships are on the highest level would be the opportunity to continuously live in the state of love... not to have needs met, but to peacefully, joyfully, and with a sense of compassion *be* love.

I think it is when our personality and psychological needs/desires come into play that we begin to find it more and more difficult to exist in a state where we are love and we seek to remain in love that continues to incessantly give birth to itself (I hope that makes sense). The closer we are to the state of love, the more possible unconditional love is for us to engage/express/experience.

I love what you have written. it makes so much sense. thank you

Hmm.

I see respect as something that is there even before it is earned. That isn't to say the full measure is granted and that it has no room to grow. As long as that person is a human being or similar equivalent, no matter how they may fall, an element of respect seems to remain for them, as much as honesty can afford. I have a dim view of using love as a set of good intentions as to justify actions of bad faith.

To me love is a deep saturation that characterizes life and the relationship even beyond the point of mood, emotion or fancy. To me ideally it is characterized by putting forward the honest best that you can for the loved in good faith.

Last edited:
You love them because you forgive them, or maybe your forgive them because you love them.

Why would it be a good idea to forgive a person who has done you actual harm? Forgiveness ought to imply that a person deserves forgiveness, i.e. expresses an ability and desire to fix any wrongs committed. If a person who harms you does not desire to change, there is no reason to actually forgive them - they'd be a bad person. You may still feel love for a time, but like any emotion, it can wear out when the conditions for it disappear. All emotions have conditions. They do not sprout out of thin air. Emotions require soil, and the time to grow. The emotion will last as long as the foundational soil is healthy. But if a caustic person goes in and poisons your soil, well, the emotion will die, along with your respect for the person.

Being heavy on "unconditional" anything is a bad idea. Judging people is important, whether the judgment is of acknowledging the good or the bad. How else would you figure out what is beneficial to your life? Not all beliefs are fine, not all cultures are equally as good, not all people will deserve the same regard. At the same time, it's important to judge where a person can reform for the better.

I see conditional love as stating that you love a person for a reason. You don't love them because you're "supposed to", and you certainly don't love them because they're "human like everyone else". A deep bonded love is one of loving the uniqueness of a person that really speaks to you as an individual. I can appreciate many people even if their personality grates me and they don't see the world as I do, but I probably won't truly love them. Friends that I love are people that provide me personal visibility that few people provide. If somehow any of the friends I love ceased to provide the visibility I desire, I would stop loving them. In fact, this has happened to me. I care about that friend as an individual, but it's not love.

Bottom line, unconditional love devalues love as a whole.

Fitting song, and more particularly, about how love may end even without ill-will:
[video=youtube;32udqal_lyQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32udqal_lyQ[/video]