The Here-Now, Spirituality, and Se | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

The Here-Now, Spirituality, and Se

I would not be the person I am if I didn't think of the future and the past in every moment of the present.

I have read lots of spiritual books about being in the now, and the brief glimpses I get of it are very calm. Life always catches up with me though, and I am unable to separate like the books say to.

I had an interesting experience some years back...I had been long involved in an ongoing study of spirituality that took me in some wonderful, interesting directions (some intentional, some accidental). Eventually I began to make out some large scale principles that I felt provided a direction and framework for my spiritual journey. Now, "frameworks" don't sound like much fun, but a strange thing happened. I felt like these principles were providing me a map to a landscape....I knew where things were. I knew where the danger spots and hazards might be. I also knew where they were not.

For me this sense of orientation meant almost limitless freedom....I might even say fearlessness, even recklessness. Why? Knowing the landscape (for my own journey anyway) meant I could, at any given moment, have a picnic, paint a landscape, visit other travellers, go for a swim, do handbrake turns....anything. My place on the journey was not at risk...the agenda was wide open. It was very liberating.

Does this sound crazy??

The Hear-Now, Spirituality, and Se

I had an interesting experience some years back...I had been long involved in an ongoing study of spirituality that took me in some wonderful, interesting directions (some intentional, some accidental). Eventually I began to make out some large scale principles that I felt provided a direction and framework for my spiritual journey. Now, "frameworks" don't sound like much fun, but a strange thing happened. I felt like these principles were providing me a map to a landscape....I knew where things were. I knew where the danger spots and hazards might be. I also knew where they were not.

For me this sense of orientation meant almost limitless freedom....I might even say fearlessness, even recklessness. Why? Knowing the landscape (for my own journey anyway) meant I could, at any given moment, have a picnic, paint a landscape, visit other travellers, go for a swim, do handbrake turns....anything. My place on the journey was not at risk...the agenda was wide open. It was very liberating.

Does this sound crazy??

Not at all. Though I haven't experienced quite what you describe, I know someone who has or at least talks about his spirotual journey in the same terms. So, no, I don't think it's crazy; rather, I think you are very lucky to have found such a path and I'm glad your search led you where it did.

Please forgive me if I misunderstand your question, but how wouldn't Se apply to the here and now? Se is the process of gathering information through your senses.

As for pure consciousness, not one single function would make that. But I think your concious state would be different depending on the circumstances that stimulate Se. I am using extremes here, but think about how your consciousness may differ between having sex, being tortured, and meditating, all of which are very much perceived through the stimulation, or lack of stimulation, of Se.

Please feel free to correct me on any misunderstandings.

i think that this quote explains what i mean when i think of Se:
like you, i have been consciously bringing my attention to the 'now' as a part of my spiritual growth. i found myself questioning also, if this state was what Se dominants experience. however, i couldn't quite put the two together as there was definately a marked difference between the two.

living in the present moment or 'now' is a deeply harmonious state that one can say almost aligns the inner world with the outer world. this was the difference i observed in comparison to the stereotypical Se dominants though it is true that Se dominants are much at one with what they are doing and the happenings around them, many of them seem to neglect the inner aspect of the present moment; seem to be almost completely subject and entwined in the outer world of sensory experience. of course, this is a generalization as mature and balanced Se dominants do exist, just like with any other type.

Being in the Here-now doesn't necessarily involve sensory experience. It's mostly all about your inner state of mind. In fact, sensory experience, I'm inclined to say, is actually not the basis of it at all.

Think about all the enlightened ones who say they live in the Now...
None of them relate to it as sensing.. All of it involves inner peace.

In fact, I was reading this book where a policeman was chasing a sadhu, thinking that he was a criminal, and practically chopped off his arm! The sadhu, however, was unfased, put his arm back into place and walked away!
It seems to be that he's completely removed his mind from his senses.

All of it involves inner peace.
One might think inner peace is a pretty fragile condition, but from what I have seen for those who find it over time it is pretty bomb-proof and tough-as-nails in the real world.

In fact, I was reading this book where a policeman was chasing a sadhu, thinking that he was a criminal, and practically chopped off his arm! The sadhu, however, was unfased, put his arm back into place and walked away!
It seems to be that he's completely removed his mind from his senses.

Odd thing you mention this. I do this all the time, not exactly with my arm being chopped off and then putting it back but a few days ago I put my hands on the heater(don't ask why lol) and it was very painful. So I decided to put my meditative skills to the test, I became detached from my pain and instantly the discomfort went away. However, once I identify myself with the burn again, the pain will appear again. So I guess it's true what they say, "it's all in the mind".

randomsomeone said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizzax
All of it involves inner peace.

One might think inner peace is a pretty fragile condition, but from what I have seen for those who find it over time it is pretty bomb-proof and tough-as-nails in the real world.
yes, i agree! :D

now im not speaking of actual pain or anything here, but im going to bring up emotional pain (which is actually even MORE painful XD)
anyways, i was telling my sister that the world isn't going to change for her and that she'd have to adapt to it.

i think most people find inner peace, humility etc to be the loser's backdrop. kinda like giving up or giving in. it's not like that at all... in fact, it takes great courage and willpower to change yourself.

Odd thing you mention this. I do this all the time, not exactly with my arm being chopped off and then putting it back but a few days ago I put my hands on the heater(don't ask why lol) and it was very painful. So I decided to put my meditative skills to the test, I became detached from my pain and instantly the discomfort went away. However, once I identify myself with the burn again, the pain will appear again. So I guess it's true what they say, "it's all in the mind".
:)

I think people get confused with the spirituality element to "nowness" or living in the present. It's much deeper than Se. Se is all well and good and certainly required to delve into the philosophies of time, awareness and self actualization. But from a spiritual standpoint it's so much more:

If you trace some words back, there is a strong correlation between Soul and Breath. And it is said by many self proclaimed spiritual gurus that enlightenment or God can be found in the breath within the breath. And of course, many meditation techniques focus on breath and awareness of the present through the use of various breathing techniques. Breathing is in a way a middle ground for Ni and Se, it is a part of us, yet easily externally observable.

Reactions: xizzax