The Dolphin | INFJ Forum

The Dolphin

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
So...this is suppose to be the animal equivalent of the INFJ eh? Why?

Satya said:
So...this is suppose to be the animal equivalent of the INFJ eh? Why?
I always thought it was cause of how you guys squeak when I squeeze ya ;)

Hmm, so the dolphin is considered intelligent and emotional, my guess is it relates to their nature, they've been known to help people at sea... maybe?

"David Keirsey proposes the Dolphin as the totem animal for NFs. INFJs are dolphins. Dolphins use their powerful and complex sonar system to navigate and feel their way through this world. Their sonar is very dependable, but sometimes interference - from both outside and within - plays havoc with their sensors, and they receive scrambled signals. Sonar is the dolphin's life-force.

Dolphins are affiliative creatures, and mate for life.

Sharks are the dolphin's natural enemies. But dolphins can take out the sharks by swimming underneath them and knocking them out."

Man! I can relate to the scrambled signals!!

I got that from http://www.infj.org/public/infjness.html

It's an ENTP

It lives in huge groups, constantly plays, is efficiently lethal to their enemy Teh Shark. It's always laughing, and constantly grinning. You know what they say... "Never trust any animal that grins, you KNOW it's planning something".

here: http://www.infj.org/public/infjness.html

Dolphins

David Keirsey proposes the Dolphin as the totem animal for NFs. INFJs are dolphins. Dolphins use their powerful and complex sonar system to navigate and feel their way through this world. Their sonar is very dependable, but sometimes interference - from both outside and within - plays havoc with their sensors, and they receive scrambled signals. Sonar is the dolphin's life-force.

Sharks are the dolphin's natural enemies. But dolphins can take out the sharks by swimming underneath them and knocking them out.

-----edit-----

oooh, too late... lol...

Motor Jax said:
here: http://www.infj.org/public/infjness.html

Dolphins

David Keirsey proposes the Dolphin as the totem animal for NFs. INFJs are dolphins. Dolphins use their powerful and complex sonar system to navigate and feel their way through this world. Their sonar is very dependable, but sometimes interference - from both outside and within - plays havoc with their sensors, and they receive scrambled signals. Sonar is the dolphin's life-force.

Sharks are the dolphin's natural enemies. But dolphins can take out the sharks by swimming underneath them and knocking them out.

-----edit-----

oooh, too late... lol...
I propose the teenage mutant ninja tuttle as the INFJ totem... Or, The Beagle

sumone said:
"David Keirsey proposes the Dolphin as the totem animal for NFs. INFJs are dolphins. Dolphins use their powerful and complex sonar system to navigate and feel their way through this world. Their sonar is very dependable, but sometimes interference - from both outside and within - plays havoc with their sensors, and they receive scrambled signals. Sonar is the dolphin's life-force.

Sharks are the dolphin's natural enemies. But dolphins can take out the sharks by swimming underneath them and knocking them out."

Man! I can relate to the scrambled signals!!

I got that from http://www.infj.org/public/infjness.html

I don't think INFJs are horny enough to be dolphins. They are one of the few animals out there that have sex simply for pleasure and they are known to get creative utilizing each others fins and blowholes.

ShaiGar said:
It's an ENTP

It lives in huge groups, constantly plays, is efficiently lethal to their enemy Teh Shark. It's always laughing, and constantly grinning. You know what they say... "Never trust any animal that grins, you KNOW it's planning something".

The ENTP animal is the chimp and you know it. Any animal that has made an art out of throwing its own crap is deserving of the ENTP label. :mrgreen:

Normally I'm like "Dolphins, they are so lame..." but when I see them in the wild I get all "OMG! WTF? LOL!!!!11".

My dad says I "go silly" when dolphins are around.

Uh. No? Since when did dolphins become socially monogamous?

Dolphins are ESFPs all the damn way.

No way! Dolphins are too smart to be ESFPs! (No, disrespect to ESFPs)...I mean...Compared to other animals, Dolphins are one of the smartest lol. They are complex, hold complex social grouping, can be independent as well as totally working to provide teamwork for the group (watch and read about how dolphins work as teams to guide fish into traps!).

I love Dolphins. I have a dolphin shower curtain, a dolphin t-shirt, and who can forget Ecco the Dolphin?! Totally cool!

Dolphins are a good analogy For INFJs but I think Labradors are even better. They are quiet and loyal and their association with the being used as seeing eye dogs is a metaphor for our insightfulness. Oh and we make good house pets.

Last edited:
My INFJ Dolphin Story:

About 18 years ago, I was very fortunate to be able to swim with dolphins at a marine mammal research and education facility on Key Largo. They have a lot of programs there, including dolphin therapy -

interjecting at this point: This is something I dreamed of having as a career, but my life didn't end up going in that direction -

where dolphins interact with children with developmental, physical, and/or emotional disabilities.

This facility only provided "free" dolphin swims. Not cost free, but by free it means the dolphins are free to come and go as they please, are not made to interact with anyone, or otherwise made to behave in any particular way. Any interaction is solely by the dolphins' choice.

There were about 10 of us in my group. We got our orientation, explaining dolphin body language and "polite" behavior, etc. and then got in the water. I'm comfortable in the water, can tread water for ages, but I'm not what you'd call a strong swimmer.

Several dolphins came in and started checking us out. Amazing amazing AMAZING feeling being "scanned" by a dolphin's echolocation... I swear it was like the faintest raindrops on my skin, or like the very first time my babies kicked in my womb. Needless to say, the group was in one section of the tank, and I by default drifted to the farthest corner from it. A few dolphins swum by, and then headed over to the main group of people. They started bringing toys to the people, balls and bumpers and things and interacting with them.

Then a dolphin swam very slowly to within about 10' of me, sounding me. I was overcome, filled with adrenaline and so fearful she'd feel this surge and avoid me. She didn't. She came closer and closer. One of the guides came to the edge of the platform and encouraged me to swim in long straight lines, so I did. And she came closer and closer and swam with me. I spent most of this time in continuous eye contact with her. Then she rolled over so her belly was facing me, and I froze. Seriously. I was so stunned to be offered this trust that I couldn't even reach out to touch her. She rolled back over and looked at me, turned completely around and looked at me with her other eye.

Then our time was up.

The guide walked back to the lab with me, telling me that that dolphin had picked me out specifically, hadn't been interested in anyone else (all the really playful outgoing dolphins stayed with the main group) and asked me why I didn't stroke her when she asked me to (offered her belly).

I told him I had been overcome by awe, and so honored, and felt so much... less, somehow, than her, that I thought it would have been disrespectful to touch her.

That remains to this day one of the most moving and enlightening experiences of my life, and one of the very few regrets I have... that I didn't recognize that touching her would have been allowed, and welcome.

Interesting. I've heard that male dolphins will often have sex with each other. They are certainly an interesting animal.

Interesting. I've heard that male dolphins will often have sex with each other. They are certainly an interesting animal.

I have read that too. I've got about 2 shelves full of books devoted to cetaceans, several of which are about dolphins. I've also been on a great many (successful) whale watches and have been fortunate enough to see several species of whale, dolphin and porpoise at very close range, including direct contact with "program" dolphins twice, and wild dolphins (on Sanibel Island, off the west coast of Florida) once.

I think a lot of people imagine dolphins to be at all times gentle, sensitive and "tame". But I feel they are intense, vital, even fierce beings who sometimes choose to be gentle and sensitive to us when we encounter them.

I hope I get to see one someday. I'm pretty much as inland as you can get.

Dolphins and Whales are great to see, my favourites are Killer Whales, we had a big pod of them come round our boat one time, the males have massive big black fins.

Dolphins and Whales are great to see, my favourites are Killer Whales, we had a big pod of them come round our boat one time, the males have massive big black fins.

Orcas (Killer Whales) rock. They are among the most complex and fascinating of the cetaceans to me.
Orca brains are enormous, over 4 times human brain size with a highly developed and convoluted neocortex, an association area responsible for sophisticated cognitive processes. Consciousness correlates with the degree of complexity in the nervous system, and the structural complexity of the orca brain appears capable of supporting a degree of consciousness that could allow culturally acquired, meaningful communication.

There are probably less than 50 distinct orca communities worldwide, with the total number of individuals only about 30,000, most of which are tentatively classified as either residents (fish-eaters) or transients (mammal-eaters). All orcas travel over fairly large areas, but residents tend to frequent a specific territory and return with some regularity to the same areas. Resident pods usually include ten to twenty individuals and seem to eat only fish. Such generalizations are only preliminary however, and as results emerge from studies of orca communities around the globe new surprises are sure to follow.

delooking.jpg
Like resident communities, transients sometimes come together to form large groups of up to twenty or more. Aggression of any kind is extremely rare among orcas of either type. They seem to truly enjoy their time together. Lifelong fidelity of offspring allows long-term stability and continuity of behavior.

Yet another community of orcas, believed to number around 300, was discovered in 1991. Known as the offshores, these whales are usually found in groups of from 15 to 75, along the coastal Pacific waters of North America from California to Alaska. Little is known about their behavior or association patterns, but like every other community so far studied, offshores share a distinct repertoire of discrete calls, completely unlike those recorded from other communities.

http://www.orcanetwork.org/nathist/salishorcas2.html