The absurdity of supporting sports teams | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

The absurdity of supporting sports teams

I read there were a whole lot of aces. But Federer still called it amazing tennis. Was it just boring because it took so long?
It was a really good match of skill spread out over three days, but yeah, it got boring because it took so long. I normally don't watch tennis (or TV for that matter) but I've been extremely bored for the past two days, and had the match on for background noise.

I think cheering for a team while not at the competition is generally silly. There is no impact given to the game while cheering miles away. But if you bet on the game or actually know people involved in the game, I can understand why one would feel more inclined to emotionally involve oneself. Otherwise, I think the motives would be for social acceptance.

I do enjoy a good game as I would enjoy a war movie for entertainment, but war movies are usually shown one sided and more involved with that side's participates' thoughts and feelings. And I do think sometimes people bolster the athletes like they are war heroes/heroines (Usually the media), which isn't right in my opinion.

It was a really good match of skill spread out over three days, but yeah, it got boring because it took so long. I normally don't watch tennis (or TV for that matter) but I've been extremely bored for the past two days, and had the match on for background noise.

I never watch tennis but this match intrigued me. I actually saw it through to it's end.

Amazing sportsmanship from both players. Too bad Mahut cracked as I was rooting for him.

To further this little derailment: I was really impressed with the way Nadal came back and won today's match while injured. And yes, I was rooting for him. Yet I do not know him personally, nor would I know whether his opponent was a great guy otherwise.

This blurs the "absurdity" argument a bit more, I think. Is it absurd to support individual athletes? What if you support several individuals on a team, and therefore support the team?

This requires exhaustive analysis.

To further this little derailment: I was really impressed with the way Nadal came back and won today's match while injured. And yes, I was rooting for him. Yet I do not know him personally, nor would I know whether his opponent was a great guy otherwise.

This blurs the "absurdity" argument a bit more, I think. Is it absurd to support individual athletes? What if you support several individuals on a team, and therefore support the team?

This requires exhaustive analysis.

Bout two months away till college football season starts. :mpoke: BBQ....booze...football. Y'know you wanna analyze, c'mon.

While I agree that far too much emphasis is placed on applauding athletic achievements in my culture, not everybody can do what they do. Support or the athletes or support of the team or just appreciation of one facet or the entire team's ability to coordinate and apply its strategy to win. Granted I refer to American football, non-American football aka soccer still requires good athleticism and teamwork...I'm just no where near as knowledgeable on it. I do watch any womens leagues when I can catch a game live. Women's softball is also pretty badass, some of the SEC teams got some fireplugs on em. I think their season is over now though.