The 10,000 hour rule | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

The 10,000 hour rule

I'll look for it - it might be at the half price books near me, or I might be able to find it on Amazon.

It's an interesting theory! I wouldn't mind reading more.

Also depends on the kind of practice, I've heard that unless you are practicing just beyond your current abilities then it's ineffective.

Also depends on the kind of practice, I've heard that unless you are practicing just beyond your current abilities then it's ineffective.

Yeah, its called the zone of proximal development. It's that area in between what a learner can do without help and what he or she can do with help.

I'm almost a meditation genius, heh.

I'm already a genius at reading and writing as well as a computer genius! Woo!

I'd like to become a poetic genius, a driving genius, a poker genius, a pistol shooting genius, a culinary genius, and also some type of art whether it be painting or pottery I'm not sure... perhaps both but I don't know how I'll fit that in to my life.

Does television watching count? If not, I definitely have mastery of it.

Last edited:
I was hoping that this thread was you being able to drop your food on the ground and eat it whenever you like.

Tesla was the man. A very smart one. I think some where genitics has to come into play here. I have known some people who just can do something they don't know how they can just do it. You ever have a buddy do something on the first try? I have had lot's of them luck has to come into play at some point too.

Tesla was the man. A very smart one. I think some where genitics has to come into play here. I have known some people who just can do something they don't know how they can just do it. You ever have a buddy do something on the first try? I have had lot's of them luck has to come into play at some point too.

Doing something on the first try is different than performing at a master level. Mozart could compose at 6, but he didn't produce masterwork until he was in his twenties. Prodigies also have opportunities that others do not.

Very true that's why I don't trust politicians. But yes I agree a trained monkey no less. Prodigy+Experience+Knowlege=power?

Very true that's why I don't trust politicians. But yes I agree a trained monkey no less. Prodigy+Experience+Knowlege=power?

The formula for success as defined by psychologists is...

Opportunity + Ability + Interest = Success

Ability is often a product of opportunity. For example, those who are deemed prodigies often get more opportunities to practice than those who are deemed average. The theme of the 10,000 hour rule is that even an average individual can come to outperform a prodigy if they have the interest and opportunity to do so.

Last edited:
So then "Practice makes perfect" is true.. And we as infj's practice thinking so much what does that do to us? Maybe that is why nobody gets us. How could they possibly understand?

Reactions: Satya
Hmmmm 10000 hours.... I think I might be there or close with four kids....If not I'm pretty damn close. Now do those hours count concurrently or consecutively ( probably wrong phrases there....) as in...I spent three hours with all of them playing outside in the cul-de-sac. Does that give me 3 hours or 12....since I had all four of them at the same time?

There are lots of things I wish I could spend 40 hours a week on. I'd be a bad ass chef if I could do that all day everyday for the next 5 years....I'd love to cross stitch that much, hmmmm lots of stuff I can think of.

I'm a Master Masturbator. Not spent that long doing it. I disprove your rule.

I hate leaving the cul-de-sac. It's scary out there.

I'm not lying. I'm not old enough to have 10,000 hours under my belt yet. I suppose I could get practicing.

I'm not lying. I'm not old enough to have 10,000 hours under my belt yet. I suppose I could get practicing.

Let me see. On average 2 times a day for an average of 10 minutes a piece. That's an average 20 minutes a day for maybe an average 6 days a week. That comes to 120 minutes a week or 2 hours. 52 weeks means 104 hours a year for about 10 years or so...which means 1,040 hours of practice. I'm about a tenth of the way there.

And some people try to tell their school teachers that they won't use math skills later in life :rolleyes:

I think they mean to do something that no one else can do or at least be proficient enough to be an expert in the field.
I think she qualifies and she could help you with your strokes Shai..
DrRuth.jpg

Size matters? lol

I counted how many hours I would have done of painting/drawing after I finish my three years of school in june. We spend about 5 and a half hour a day drawing or painting (6 but including model breaks and such it's a bit less).

My result is about 2722 and a half hours. If I make a guess in terms of how many hours I've spent doing visual art stuff during the rest of my life (but it is probably a very poor guess), it would bring me to something like maybe 4000 hours?

The fact is, I improved drastically during these past three years. I still have a good, good progression margin though (not sure whether this is correct English, sorry).

I think by the time I'm 30 (I'm 21 now) at the latest I should have reached 10 000 hours - given I want to do painting professionally. I'm sure I will still have a lot more to learn by that time though. And a lot of room to evolve. It will be more in terms of subject matter and exploration rather than pure technique though...

I've just realised this might sound awfully arrogant :D oh well. It's not meant to be.