^_^
Retired Staff
Mar 9, 2009
Gridania
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I just had an interesting thought: I'm about 90% certain that, over the course of my entire life, I have typed more words than I have spoken. In a typical day, and in most situations, I don't say very much. A lot of people think that I am a quiet person, which is not something that I see myself as because in the right situation, I will talk often.

But really I spend most of my time in front of a computer screen, so I guess it occurs naturally. Now they are coming out with voice chat and video chat so people do not need to talk as much, but these things really are new to me and I often find myself annoyed by them because I'm so much more comfortable with text than with actually talking. I'm getting better, but I still actively avoid voice chat.

Does anyone else feel this way or can you relate?

Also, I know that the part of the brain for writing and the part of the brain for speaking aren't strictly the same thing, but I can't give you the specifics easily. I think that the part of my brain that controls writing is more finely developed than the part of my brain that controls speaking. I can generally write well, but when I speak, I often have trouble, fumble, and sound bad in general.

Last edited:
Actually, there is a lot of overlap in language processing between speaking and writing.

The difference is that writing is simpler because it has no accent, and it always gives you time to finish your thoughts and frame them well.

I do prefer written language myself, though. I can speak as well as I write, if I need to, and I concentrate, but it doesn't come as naturally or comfortably. Probably because in speaking, I tend to stick with stock phrases.

I prefer spoken language because it establishes a connection between me and the person, and I love hearing other people talk, the rhythm and cadences of their voice, the changes in pitch and the gravity of hearing their words.

:)

I like both, actually, but each has its place.

To simplify, I'd say I prefer written unless face-to-face is an option and I want to connect emotionally with the person in question.

Reactions: jyrffw54
I like both, actually, but each has its place.

To simplify, I'd say I prefer written unless face-to-face is an option and I want to connect emotionally with the person in question.
I'm with this.

Also, I prefer written if I want to convey my ideas and feelings, but I prefer face-to-face when I want to observe my target of speech.

I don't own a cell phone or have internet access at my house. I prefer to speak with others in person and if you can't find me when I am not at home or at my desk--I am just peachy with that. Sometimes I get bored and only recently began to post in forums like this because I began to read about personalities (for fun). I am not a technophobe rather just indifferent. Besides I despise the way everyone seems so intent on expressing every second of their lives. "I am in the store. I am walking down the cereal isle. I am looking at the Fruit Loops" <actual conversation overheard at the grocery store>

I relate with you that I would rather type than chat over the internet. If I wanted to voice chat I may as well just call you on the phone.

I feel like I have an easier time conveying my thoughts via text in general then words. I can even think clearer as I type and faster, its strange.

I prefer face-to-face, because I feel like I'm getting more out of the interaction that way... but ironically I'm more comfortable communicating through text...

I'm still going through a sort of guilty phase in spending so much time on the forum, because I hate sitting in front of the computer so much... And even though there are people out there reading this, I feel disconnected from them--which is why I prefer facetoface

Besides I despise the way everyone seems so intent on expressing every second of their lives. "I am in the store. I am walking down the cereal isle. I am looking at the Fruit Loops" <actual conversation overheard at the grocery store>

How else could we live vicariously through other people? :D

I've gotten much better at speaking with others face-to-face, but I used to have an aversion in speaking because I used to stutter a lot. I still have mildly this problem but it isn't as obvious as before. As a result, I relied primarily on written communication to get my ideas out more clearly without feeling self-conscious about my speech problem.

Now I can say I do well and feel comfortable with both methods, though I still prefer text.

The difference is that writing is simpler because it has no accent, and it always gives you time to finish your thoughts and frame them well.

It's the opposite for me. I have a hard time articulating my thoughts when I write.
I sit and draw a blank. But if you were in the same room with me I would go on and on.
I would rather have an in-depth discussion in person.

Last edited:
I prefer writing, because it provides the option to edit. My thoughts come as the strokes of impressionistic canvas. It's often a personal disaster for me, if I can't edit them. It is claimed that Leo Tolstoy was ENFP, I'm not entirely sure about that, but he was also known for endless editions of his works.

I prefer the written word over the spoken. Being a strong introvert, I'm fairly reserved and don't talk much ... except to people I'm close to. Even then, I can be silent at times. The written word gives me me more of a chance to refine and revise what I have to say ... to fine tune it. Spoken words tend to come out of my mouth and then cannot be recalled :) I'm not sure if I have written more words than I have spoken, as the internet was not around the first half of my life ... but I have crafted a lot of written material.