Strong signs of Ni | INFJ Forum

Strong signs of Ni

xizzax

Community Member
Aug 3, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Ni, it's a function that has always been hard to define...
I'm still experimenting and trying to figure out whether i'm leaning towards INFP or INFJ, and most of the time I end up with the conclusion that it's INFJ because my intuition, in general is way stronger than feeling.

but sometimes i can't relate to the crazy Ni stories about dreams and answers out of nowhere..
or maybe i don't realize i do it...

anywho, can you guys please help me clarify what Ni is...?

average daily things--
if you're an INFJ how do you use Ni to navigate the world?
what is the SUREST sign?

One of the key signs you're an INFJ rather than an INFP is consistently scoring higher N than F. INFPs consistently score higher F than N.

The Dominant function is defined as the part of yourself you trust most, which is the source of your ambitions and goals, and the method of thinking that you never lose.

If that is Ni, then these traits would apply to you in that way.

• Seeks 'the answer' in the chaos.
• Focuses on pattern recognition
• Perceives at the “universal” level
• Seeks deepest level of understanding
• Extrapolates from specific data to general (divergent)
• Seeks root cause, meaning
• Sees complexity, systems
• Time orientation: past & (especially) future
• Energized by discovering “universal” patterns
• Understanding of past/ present/ future ebb & flow of events is reality
• Usually vague & abstract

Another way to tell that you're an INFJ rather than an INFP is secondary Fe. The Secondary function is the part of ourselves that we use to guide others, support and nurture them, and is our 'idealized way of parenting'.

If your secondary trait is Fe, then these traits will apply to those modes - but, these traits not be as strong as our Ni and if these traits conflict with those above, the former will almost always win out.

• Harmonious environment energizes
• Focus on groups of people and collective relationships
• Tuned in to emotional timbre of group
• Respects and enforces “shoulds” (group think, expectations of others, manners, social structure)
• Self-assesses through “shoulds”
• “Knows” what others need
• Disagreement is bad. Conflict-averse
• “Us” vs. “Them” (“You’re either with us or against us”)
• Prefers to think in terms of "We" rather than "I".
• Evaluative (better vs. worse)
• Guided by values that are assumed to be shared.
• Agenda driven

Last edited:
Reactions: jn56uytrx
The things you quoted, DC, are qualites of Ni. As you pointed out though, other functions can apply to them. All of the introverts seek deep meaning to things, with Fi and Ni winning out as far as inner depth goes. Ni tends to spread out beyond the individual (although this is restrained by Te or Fe depending), and thus has the perpencity to appear to go the deepest. Ni also does seek out the root cause and meaning. Standalone it doesn't, however when coupled with a judging function it does very much so. Same principal for universal patterns. Ne is also this, but the direction is what differs them. Ne is divergent, Ni is convergent.

This all hits home the point that it is very hard to describe, and even more so use, functions as standalone individuals. They need to be paired up, or more, in order to be used properly, and differentiated from each other.

One of the key signs you're an INFJ rather than an INFP is consistently scoring higher N than F. INFPs consistently score higher F than N.
I disagree with this based on the premise that my father is an INFJ, and he tests as an IXFJ -- his J is very pronounced, and his NF idealism is notable (though obscured by his J).

This one doesn't. :D

I disagree with this based on the premise that my father is an INFJ, and he tests as an IXFJ -- his J is very pronounced, and his NF idealism is notable (though obscured by his J).

The reason INFJs usually score higher on N than F preferences is that the dominant N function is contrasted with the inferior S function, creating a greater discrepancy than between the secondary F and tertiary T functions. If you are scoring higher on F than N, you might be an ENFJ or INFP, as they are F dominant and N secondary.

As always, the suggestions I present are only commonalities, not absolutes. If they don't apply to you, they're worth considering, but not 'proof' one way or the other.

(man I get tired of having to explain that sometimes...)

Apart from those minor quibbles I agree with all the rest of your post.

There is a LOT of functional overlap between INFJ and INFP. We're a lot like Macs and PCs. We perform MANY of the same functions, but our operating systems are very different (well, they used to be).

Last edited:
This is very interesting Von Hase, my Ni has always been my highest function followed by my feeling function although sometimes my T functions go ahead of my F functions( My F is very borderline) I'm not certain how accurate this would describe an INFJ also I have recently noticed that my cognitive pattern has the first 2 functions of an INFJ and the last 2 of an INFP, my J is also not the greatest though my Si is very strong, Hmm..I'm not certain what type of INFJ I might be, but at least I been getting only INFJ results lately.

Well, on an older human being, it may be possible that for some people to have their N tempered down by their life experiences. In addition, environmental factors have a lot to play in mistyping or border-typing.

Do you have a list like that for Fi?

The things you quoted, DC, are qualites of Ni. As you pointed out though, other functions can apply to them. All of the introverts seek deep meaning to things, with Fi and Ni winning out as far as inner depth goes. Ni tends to spread out beyond the individual (although this is restrained by Te or Fe depending), and thus has the perpencity to appear to go the deepest. Ni also does seek out the root cause and meaning. Standalone it doesn't, however when coupled with a judging function it does very much so. Same principal for universal patterns. Ne is also this, but the direction is what differs them. Ne is divergent, Ni is convergent.

This all hits home the point that it is very hard to describe, and even more so use, functions as standalone individuals. They need to be paired up, or more, in order to be used properly, and differentiated from each other.
can you explain divergence and convergence with Ne and Ni?

how is Ne when coupled with Fi? (how would an individual judge/explore their world?) vs Ni when working with Fe?

i know i'm talking about ENFPs and INFJs here... so i guess it would be clearer to ask what would it be like for Fi with Ne...

Ne is divergent in that it can see many different possibilities in a situation (moreso than Ni). Ni is convergent in that it will seek to naturally narrow down these possibilities to things which are most likely or probable.

Ne types (particularly NTPs) are more into conspiracy theories, because their Ne is capable of generating all sorts of possibilities. And all the possible outcomes generated by the use of Ne may cascade so that one of these possible outcomes may in itself generate several other sub-outcomes.

An NJ is more likely to use logic to traverse this huge web of Ne generated possibilities, cross-reference things, and check off things which cannot be explained by logic or convergence (paths of logic which overlap and strengthen each others probability level). NJ types are good at doing this which is why they can seem confrontational or sure of themselves at times.

Last edited:
can you explain divergence and convergence with Ne and Ni?

how is Ne when coupled with Fi? (how would an individual judge/explore their world?) vs Ni when working with Fe?

i know i'm talking about ENFPs and INFJs here... so i guess it would be clearer to ask what would it be like for Fi with Ne...

In short, Ni takes numerous disparate ideas and condenses them all into one idea, Ne takes one idea and expands it into numerous disparate ideas.

The Fi/Ne combination usually plays out this way: Ne searches around picking up ideas and generating new ideas from them, all those ideas are then judged by Fi as varying degrees of "good" or "bad" based on an internally generated set of standards and ethics (at its simplest it asks "Do I think this is good, or bad?").

This usually means that Fi types place a lot of importance on the rights and feelings of the individual, particularly themselves. This can sometimes make them act (or at least seem to act) in a selfish or self-interested way, which can be either good or bad, depending on the circumstances.

The Ni/Fe combination plays out with Ni gathering ideas and condensing them together into one, Fe then judges that idea as a varying degree of "good" or "bad" based on an externally generated set of moral standards (at its simplest it asks "Do they think this is good, or bad?").

This usually means that Fe types place a lot of importance on the rights and feelings of the group (the group being any body whose opinions the Fe type trusts, respects or simply feels connected to). This can sometimes make them act (or seem to act) selflessly or even collectively, which can be either good or bad, depending on the circumstances.

Last edited: