Step away from the treadmill! | INFJ Forum

Step away from the treadmill!

Quinlan

Right the First Time!
Jun 12, 2008
MBTI
ISFP
Losing weight could kill you.

"Weight loss of 15% or more from maximum body weight is associated with increased risk of death from all causes among overweight men and among women regardless of maximum BMI."

*thread title is a joke by the way.

Last edited:
Hmm.. that's just over a quarter of the participants (who died). It would be interesting to know whether they kept track of weight loss methods and the timeframe/rate of weight loss among the participants.

This is interesting. Unfortunately, being overweight isn't healthy either. It puts undue stress on the body and affects psychosocial health (if that's the correct term).

Last edited:
What this tells me is that our expectations are way too high, it is a well known fact that losing just 5% of body weight has a lot of benefits for diabetics etc. but that 15% is too much, more extreme methods are required and it's those extreme methods that are worse than just being fat.

I think it is time for the medical establishment to move on from the dogmatic focus on weight and start getting people active and eating moderately regardless of whether this results in weight loss or not.

What this tells me is that our expectations are way too high, it is a well known fact that losing just 5% of body weight has a lot of benefits for diabetics etc. but that 15% is too much, more extreme methods are required and it's those extreme methods that are worse than just being fat.

I think this is too often the case unfortunately, but I don't think it's necessarily true.

I think it is time for the medical establishment to move on from the dogmatic focus on weight and start getting people active and eating moderately regardless of whether this results in weight loss or not.
For sure. Weight is important but there are other benefits to keeping a healthy lifestyle. There is an article about this I think you might find interesting: http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/43/1/1.full

Last edited:
Let me get this straight, are you saying that the article is a joke, or that it is so stupid that it portrays itself as a joke without the intention of being one?

You better tell this woman that she is going to die,

I dare you.

a-women-bodybuilder-trainwreck-16.jpg

Last edited:
Oh please. Is this another excuse why you can't get to the gym today? You don't want to die?

Technically, anything you do runs you with the risk of death. Anyone look at the risk you run every time you get into your safety-stamped mini-van? Or when you cross the street? Or when you take a bite out of your food (you could choke)?

This is just bloody ridiculous. Get your ass back on the treadmill and gradually work up a sweat. If you're 15% overweight, don't think you're going to lose that in one month. You certainly didn't gain it all in one month (at least, I hope not o_O). The only thing you have to worry about when you're working out is not pushing yourself so hard that you pass out... and that is a feat in itself. Most people are too lazy to hike the mph past 4.5 for more than two minutes and trust me, that isn't going to make all that marvelous of a difference unless you keep at it for at least six months four times a week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skathac
well this pleases me cause im sort of lazy and now when someone tells me "youve gained weight" i can just smile and think that that six pack theyre so proud of will eventually take its toll sending them into an eternal furnace where they will really "feel the burn"

well this pleases me cause im sort of lazy and now when someone tells me "youve gained weight" i can just smile and think that that six pack theyre so proud of will eventually take its toll sending them into an eternal furnace where they will really "feel the burn"

Lol, say what?

I think he thinks dieing from losing weight also somehow equals going to hell?

Let me get this straight, are you saying that the article is a joke, or that it is so stupid that it portrays itself as a joke without the intention of being one?

You better tell this woman that she is going to die,

I dare you.

Huh?

Oh please. Is this another excuse why you can't get to the gym today? You don't want to die?

Technically, anything you do runs you with the risk of death. Anyone look at the risk you run every time you get into your safety-stamped mini-van? Or when you cross the street? Or when you take a bite out of your food (you could choke)?

The whole point about losing weight is about avoiding risk is it not?

This is just bloody ridiculous. Get your ass back on the treadmill and gradually work up a sweat. If you're 15% overweight, don't think you're going to lose that in one month. You certainly didn't gain it all in one month (at least, I hope not o_O). The only thing you have to worry about when you're working out is not pushing yourself so hard that you pass out... and that is a feat in itself. Most people are too lazy to hike the mph past 4.5 for more than two minutes and trust me, that isn't going to make all that marvelous of a difference unless you keep at it for at least six months four times a week.

Hey calm down, I even said the thread title was a joke! Exercise is great, gyms are great (if you can afford them), I never said otherwise.

What of pregnant women then? They gain a total of at least 15% body mass, including actual weight they will have after the baby is born. They can lose that weight super quickly through breast feeding, I know from my sister's experience with it. Does that mean pregnancy shortens your life for these same ass-backwards and rather unfair reasons?

What of pregnant women then? They gain a total of at least 15% body mass, including actual weight they will have after the baby is born. They can lose that weight super quickly through breast feeding, I know from my sister's experience with it. Does that mean pregnancy shortens your life for these same ass-backwards and rather unfair reasons?

i imagine stress would kill a new parent rather than fat

Alright, I'll admit I didn't read it (and after I did I really didn't learn anything definitive either way, it seems little more than reading chicken guts, with them saying "damned if you do, damned if you don't") but how long after pregnancy should you count the weight? Just cause you gained it during pregnancy doesn't mean its different, special, fat. Nor does it mean it all goes *poof* a few weeks after birth. If you gained 15% weight excluding birth loss, and you keep it on without losing it, then does it count? What if you started loosing it a year after, instead of immediately after?

They excluded it so this study can tell us nothing about pregnancy weight.

Honestly I stopped putting stock into a lot of these "medical studies" a while ago. MOST of them have these rediculously weak corralations that are just strong enough to publish it, and because the public won't understand the scale of things, a 15% change seems like a huge deal. They're largely alarmist, and this one just seems like it is as well.

They excluded it so this study can tell us nothing about pregnancy weight.
>.<
I don't mean to sound hostile towards you, but that sort of excludes a whole group of testers.

I'd like to see a more thurough study done on this. Seems like they bunch up all intentional weight loss into one group. If you were morbidly obese then lost 15%, you are different than a 20-something LA girl who starved away her curves to be a size -2. Its also different to be one of those contestants on "The biggest loser" who do crazy exercising than a person who slowly lost 15% over the span of a few years, without pills, potions or pain.

Honestly I stopped putting stock into a lot of these "medical studies" a while ago. MOST of them have these rediculously weak corralations that are just strong enough to publish it, and because the public won't understand the scale of things, a 15% change seems like a huge deal. They're largely alarmist, and this one just seems like it is as well.

True, yet the public and media treat the anti-fat ones in particular as gospel. You think if this had shown that losing 15% weight had decreased mortality the media, weight loss industry and the public wouldn't be shouting from the rooftops that it's another reason for those disgusting fatties to lose weight? Yet it's the same weak data, we only accept the findings that support our pre-existing biases (see my sig).

Agreed.

The media thinks this: Teh dumb common peoples won't understand teh awesome sciencey thingies! Let's make it glorified and pretty with sparkles! Horray! They're putty in our handz!

Making science accesable can only be done by the scientisits who understand it, and they largely won't be arsed to do it.

Agreed.

The media thinks this: Teh dumb common peoples won't understand teh awesome sciencey thingies! Let's make it glorified and pretty with sparkles! Horray! They're putty in our handz!

Making science accesable can only be done by the scientisits who understand it, and they largely won't be arsed to do it.
Sad :(
I just enjoy not having to heave around a giant body, as well as not having to buy from specialty stores. There are enough studies that you can believe in though, about how eating 2 cakes everyday will probably give you diabetes. I'm not willing to cover my ears and go "Lalalala can't hear you" to everything I hear. Sure the media isn't exactly out to help us, but not everything they say has to be an automatic lie.

Reactions: IndigoSensor