Star Wars: The Force Awakens | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I grew up watching the original trilogy on VHS tapes. They were very important to developing my love for cinema and movies. Then the prequels came out, and now I alternate between hating the series for it's commercialization and stupid fan service, and not caring about it at all. Right now, I'm at the not-caring part of the cycle.

I admit I did not care for any of the movies that came after first 3....and the 3rd one was tenuous at best.

I am once again hopeful he won't ruin this series of three and returns to the awesome banter, wit, and character development of the first series.

After super over-analyzing the trailer, I'm *slightly* concerned about poor acting once again ruining another trilogy. It's more the peripheral characters and perhaps weak writing that could cause this. Not at all worried about Daisy, John or Oscar though so there is hope. I really like what I'm hearing about John's character, but I want to know more about Oscar's. I'm guessing we won't see a lot of character development from him in this first film, but maybe he will end up in a pivotal role late game.

My hope is that whatever happens with Luke, he just gets at least one scene at some point in the trilogy where he is massively OP.

Get on the hype train. Choo Choo motherfuckers.

[

What does that mean?...massively OP?

What does that mean?...massively OP?

Overpowered. As in, I don't care of he is on the Sith or Jedi side, I just want to see him take out an army single-handedly or do some crazy awesome thing with the Force. Something we've never seen.

I hope it won't be kitsch-politically-correct; at least the original cast's characters ought to retain their rebel-fringe-outlaw manners. If this turns out to be an EMO, melancholic anti-adventure, aka coming-of-age, self-discovery, like most of Abram's other films, I'll be spitting.

Also-fuckin'-lutely right!! I will go ape-shit crazy if this new trilogy turns out to be a Twilight/Hunger Games/Maze Runner/Divergent story within the Star Wars universe.

This is STAR WARS, motherfucker! Don't mess with it!

Overpowered. As in, I don't care of he is on the Sith or Jedi side, I just want to see him take out an army single-handedly or do some crazy awesome thing with the Force. Something we've never seen.

+1

If all exposure THE FORCE gets is some brain-scrambling (like the lame stuff on Stargate), the CGI would have been wasted.

Also-fuckin'-lutely right!! I will go ape-shit crazy if this new trilogy turns out to be a Twilight/Hunger Games/Maze Runner/Divergent story within the Star Wars universe.

Worse. It could be Star-Trek-esque "assuming the captain's chair" - assuming the Jedi mantle, with a young girl trying to convince the grown-ups of some hidden menace (Super-8-esque), which she finally decides isn't so menacing and tries to protect; eventually coming round and being accepted into the Jedi team in an embarrassingly corny way (Mission-impossible-esque) .

Ohhh yes!

My sense is George Lucas loves the Luke character and will give him a spectacular final role. Whether it happens in this movie or not remains to be seen.... but you know...we ain't gettin' any younger....so hopefully it happens soon.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila

Right on!!! We don't want a watered down baby-fied disney-esque movie.

f231ee8d25eac241a0de6db875a819b0.jpg

Reactions: Wyst
i think it will be overrated.

i think it will be overrated.

Aww....come on rawr....let us boomers and nerds have our fun. We'll find out soon enough whether it's gonna be any good or not. For the meantime...let us dream. :lol:

star-wars-dream-house.jpg

Aww....come on rawr....let us boomers and nerds have our fun. We'll find out soon enough whether it's gonna be any good or not. For the meantime...let us dream. :lol:

star-wars-dream-house.jpg

you can dream; i'll be realistic. :D

Worse. It could be Star-Trek-esque "assuming the captain's chair" - assuming the Jedi mantle, with a young girl trying to convince the grown-ups of some hidden menace (Super-8-esque), which she finally decides isn't so menacing and tries to protect; eventually coming round and being accepted into the Jedi team in an embarrassingly corny way (Mission-impossible-esque) .
Did you ever hear of the story of Nichelle Williams, the woman who played Uhura, the black girl in the original series? She wanted to leave the programme, handed in notice. The next time she was at a convention or something someone told her that a "trekkie" wanted to see her. She said "Ok" expecting any other fan and up walked Martin Luther King. He told her he was her biggest fan and that it was important she stay with Star Trek because of how progressive it was. That she was in a unique position of being a respected Black woman on a tv series that was seen not just in America, so she stayed on. Most roles for black women then were "housemaid".

[video=youtube;POArig3tCSk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POArig3tCSk[/video]

Reactions: Kgal
Did you ever hear of the story of Nichelle Williams, the woman who played Uhura, the black girl in the original series? She wanted to leave the programme, handed in notice. The next time she was at a convention or something someone told her that a "trekkie" wanted to see her. She said "Ok" expecting any other fan and up walked Martin Luther King. He told her he was her biggest fan and that it was important she stay with Star Trek because of how progressive it was. That she was in a unique position of being a respected Black woman on a tv series that was seen not just in America, so she stayed on. Most roles for black women then were "housemaid".

Very cool to see Martin Luther let her know that she was a role model for young women.

Another part to that story that I heard was she was also the most underpaid of all of the actors on the show even though she received top billing as the core cast. It was told Leonard Nimoy spoke out about the large discrepancy between her pay and the rest of the actors and he threatened to leave if they didn't give her a raise. So they did...and she stayed.

Those days of fighting for equality for all held such hope for us...

Very cool to see Martin Luther let her know that she was a role model for young women.

Another part to that story that I heard was she was also the most underpaid of all of the actors on the show even though she received top billing as the core cast. It was told Leonard Nimoy spoke out about the large discrepancy between her pay and the rest of the actors and he threatened to leave if they didn't give her a raise. So they did...and she stayed.

Those days of fighting for equality for all held such hope for us...
Could be rumour. Nichelle Williams did a short programme on the story I mentioned herself. It was told Star Trek had the first interracial kiss on tv America had seen. It was between the blond all American Captain and herself. Apparently representatives from the studio were there to make sure it wouldn't be too offensive. And George Takei, the gay member of the cast said once himself that the creator of star trek Gene Roddenberry and himself were in a pool at a party and Gene confided he couldn't bring up gay issues on the programme because he had taken it as far as it could go. He didn't want his show to be taken off for going too far which is probably also related to Nichelle's pay maybe. He knew George Takei was gay and he was ok with it, they were friends. You'll see George Takei talking about Gene on Youtube. It's really heartening. I was a steadfast "Trekkie" after I saw all of this. :D
It was also told that Gene Roddenberry was actually involved with Nichelle himself. That would look like the most likely reason she decided to leave, to me anyway. Human frailty and that.

It certainly was an exceptionally politically incorrect tv series for its time.

People rate in relation to their expectations. As such, I don't value anyone's opinions in this regard.

yes, seems as most people are over-hyping expectations with this movie. It's just another JJ Abrams film.

This video combined the teasers and trailer for an interesting story line possibility.

Those guys reviewing the trailer were speculating the girl knew her history. I watched it again looking for signs of that idea and I do not think she knew who she was. The voice asking her "Who are you" is the old Princess Leia. This is going to be interesting....
[MENTION=251]Wyote[/MENTION]

[video=youtube;XIRoASL90EI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIRoASL90EI[/video]

Reactions: Wyote
It certainly was an exceptionally politically incorrect tv series for its time.
You're telling me.. A Chinese gay man, a Black woman, a Jewish man (Leonard Nimoy), all American bloke, all a team. How did he pull it off?
And something that really gives it a kick, the "Live long and Prosper", you know the Vulcan greeting, is a Jewish blessing done in Synagogues by Rabbi's was brought onto the programme by Leonard which means in Hebrew "peace be upon you". Fucking class.

Last edited: