[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Last Jedi | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I was one of the ‘dumb’ audience members who laughed at these scenes... and actually laugh at most jokes in most movies quite audibly....I had fun and I love the Porgs.

I was one of the ‘dumb’ audience members who laughed at these scenes... and actually laugh at most jokes in most movies quite audibly....I had fun and I love the Porgs.

I laughed at things the audience didn't laugh at, in addition to the funny stuff. :md::m146:

For @Reason With Logic Filling

Last edited:
Hahahaha what I will say is that I agree with @Reason With Logic Filling that the funny parts were thrown in with a bunch of serious scenes.... im trying to think.... there is another movie that uses the same placement and type of humor.... which i know I also love, the movie name escapes me though.... btw.... I’m not impressed that Wookie ate a Porg

Last edited:

I laughed at things the audience didn't laugh at, in addition to the funny stuff. :md::m146:

For @Reason With Logic Filling

Re: the comedy, at both showings I attended there were plenty of laughs throughout. And everyone seemed to enjoy the Porgs (myself included).
Porgs still better than Jar-Jar. Sweet Jesus protector of all that is good and holy deliver me from Jar-Jar Binks, Amen.

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More thoughts to come later when I've had more time to process everything...

I know that feel. Glad you've joined the party here :)

I know that feel. Glad you've joined the party here :)

Spoiler: no spoiler tags 'cause this thread is already so thoroughly spoiler-y it should be self-explanatory before one even enters : p

I DO already have lots of thoughts and feels. To be brief, because words are still hard - I had the same thought about Rey's Palpatine heritage, most prominently in the red throne room scene, when Snoke mentioned he knew who would break because of her parents. Why would "nobody" parents carry enough gravity to convince him of such a thing? It would have to be something of significance.

Speaking of significance, Kylo going grey/balanced or turning altogether would not be a surprise. He killed his dad, yes, but we all saw when he went to hit the red button to attack his mom, he hovered over it, then moved his finger to the side. He couldn't do it. Killed one parent, but not the other. Half and half. Balance. And Balance might not necessarily be an equal existence of "Good" and "Evil," "Jedi" and "Sith," but just everything as it is. The Force isn't inherently either. It just is. The world isn't black and white - it's shades of grey, and everything inbetween. I thought there was a good discussion and examination of this in the film, too. It made it clear that no one is infallible, no one purely good, nor evil. Everything is connected, and everyone exists along a spectrum. And no matter how much good you try to do, failure can be the best teacher. This balance, I expect, will likely play itself out in the next installment, it's just a matter of how they're going to express it.

Also, yes. I found the scene with Leia in space a bit jarring. However, as mentioned, it wasn't the content or concept of the scene, it was merely the execution of it. After the impressive displays preceding it, it almost made it seem like suddenly someone else had stepped in and been responsible for the CGI during such a crucial scene. It just put a halt to the continuity of the imagery you were viewing.

ALSO, some of the audience reviews I was reading... People complaining because they thought Luke and Leia had contributed no "worthwhile words or deeds throughout the movie." Luke sacrificed himself to save the Resistance. And in the process left the physical plane and became one with the Force. Umm... #Goals?

Spoiler: no spoiler tags 'cause this thread is already so thoroughly spoiler-y it should be self-explanatory before one even enters : p

I DO already have lots of thoughts and feels. To be brief, because words are still hard - I had the same thought about Rey's Palpatine heritage, most prominently in the red throne room scene, when Snoke mentioned he knew who would break because of her parents. Why would "nobody" parents carry enough gravity to convince him of such a thing? It would have to be something of significance.

Speaking of significance, Kylo going grey/balanced or turning altogether would not be a surprise. He killed his dad, yes, but we all saw when he went to hit the red button to attack his mom, he hovered over it, then moved his finger to the side. He couldn't do it. Killed one parent, but not the other. Half and half. Balance. And Balance might not necessarily be an equal existence of "Good" and "Evil," "Jedi" and "Sith," but just everything as it is. The Force isn't inherently either. It just is. The world isn't black and white - it's shades of grey, and everything inbetween. I thought there was a good discussion and examination of this in the film, too. It made it clear that no one is infallible, no one purely good, nor evil. Everything is connected, and everyone exists along a spectrum. And no matter how much good you try to do, failure can be the best teacher. This balance, I expect, will likely play itself out in the next installment, it's just a matter of how they're going to express it.

Also, yes. I found the scene with Leia in space a bit jarring. However, as mentioned, it wasn't the content or concept of the scene, it was merely the execution of it. After the impressive displays preceding it, it almost made it seem like suddenly someone else had stepped in and been responsible for the CGI during such a crucial scene. It just put a halt to the continuity of imagery you were viewing.

ALSO, some of the audience reviews I was reading... People complaining because they thought Luke and Leia had contributed no "worthwhile words or deeds throughout the movie." Luke sacrificed himself to save the Resistance. And in the process left the physical plane and became one with the Force. Umm... #Goals?
The Leia scene didn't bother me at all. I had more issues with the freeing the racing animals scene, which was the most bizarre part of the whole movie to me. The entire idea of that scene and why it was in the movie was so baffling to me.

The Leia scene didn't bother me at all. I had more issues with the freeing the racing animals scene, which was the most bizarre part of the whole movie to me. The entire idea of that scene and why it was in the movie was so baffling to me.

I think it was just a symbol of breaking the current regime, freeing themselves from the enslavement of the oppressive system in place. They're also left with so few survivors of the Resistance at the end, it feels hopeless. But then at the end, you see this reiterated. The child with the Resistance ring on his finger from the racing scene, playing with the Luke figurine. They still have support out there, not all is lost. A figure from the past is gone, but the series is trying to go somewhere new. A new hope.

I think it was just a symbol of breaking the current regime, freeing themselves from the enslavement of the oppressive system in place. They're also left with so few survivors of the Resistance at the end, it feels hopeless. But then at the end, you see this reiterated. The child with the Resistance ring on his finger from the racing scene, playing with the Luke figurine. They still have support out there, not all is lost. A figure from the past is gone, but the series is trying to go somewhere new. A new hope.
Right, but if the codebreaker had just led them to the ship he was going to steal and they gave some kid that ring to distract some guards while they stole it, you could have accomplished the same thing in less time. The filmmakers wanted that scene in the film, as for why I am perplexed.

Reactions: Free and Gaze
Right, but if the codebreaker had just led them to the ship he was going to steal and they gave some kid that ring to distract some guards while they stole it, you could have accomplished the same thing in less time. The filmmakers wanted that scene in the film, as for why I am perplexed.

The kid would have the ring, but you wouldn't have the backstory and impact of it. It would just be some random kid with a ring. You wouldn't see the slavery, the pain, the suffering. The scene gave the ring more weight and more of a connection to everything everyone has been enduring.

The kid would have the ring, but you wouldn't have the backstory and impact of it. It would just be some random kid with a ring. You wouldn't see the slavery, the pain, the suffering. The scene gave the ring more weight and more of a connection to everything everyone has been enduring.
But you did see the slavery and suffering and such on that scene where they are out overlooking the city on that balcony. Picture this scene: the kid is in the cell that Finn and the others were in, but the other slave kids break him out, just a quick shot of the kids escaping, then the zoom in on them out in the wilderness telling the Luke Skywalker story, all huddled around the ring. Finn and Rose saved the animals but not the children, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Free
I have a soft spot for animals, they will never grow to be able to defend themselves... those kids however... have a better chance

Reactions: Free and Gaze
Finn and Rose saved the animals but not the children, lol.

True, and that bothered me a bit, but nothing in life is perfect, and it also reinforced what seemed to be a central theme in the film. Sacrifice. You could see the kids manning the controls that allowed Finn and Rose to escape. They sacrificed their freedom for the Resistance. Rose's sister, Paige, sacrificed herself for the Resistance. Holdo sacrificed herself for the Resistance. Luke sacrificed himself for the Resistance. A multitude of people sacrificed their lives or something else so that the Resistance could continue, could persevere. This was merely another iteration of that.

I had the same thought about Rey's Palpatine heritage, most prominently in the red throne room

I've thought about the throne room a bit and after seeing it again, I am questioning whether it was Rey or Kylo who actually killed Snoke. I laugh at people trashing on that scene, it's so well crafted. I hope some shit gets sorted out in the next one instead of JJ just being like "hey guiz guess what! no answers and more quesstionnnsss yayyyyy muahahaha!"

But why were the animals in the movie in the first place, you already had global domination and on that planet in particular munitions profiteering did they really need to add animal rights to the mix? If they had cut the racing animals out of the story completely, saved the kids and shortened the whole thing they could have done a little bit more plot about Snoke and what the actual hell he was trying to do... or service the main plot more. The whole thing was just such a baffling excursion from the main story to me.

Reactions: Free