†☔†
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 28, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
954 so/sx
I want to talk about The Last Jedi, but I don't really know where to start and haven't been able to find the words all weekend.

I think ultimately the merits of this film are entirely dependent upon the next film. But regardless of that, I still found The Last Jedi to be more like the original trilogy than any other film. That is a good thing, or a bad thing depending on your personal desires for the direction the franchise should go in. Either way, it will end up being the most divisive film in the franchise, at least in my lifetime. Overall I found it entertaining. I think the hate for different decisions is a little off base, other than perhaps Leia's weird scene. But I think that's mostly due to shitty CGI and poor scene construction.

Also I am personally a bit torn about the film, much like the Skywalker saber. I think what they did was purposeful, it got people talking and could potentially bring in new fans. Out with the old, in with the new. At whatever cost.

Needsa mor Jar-Jar.

I'll forgive everything if they bring him back as an evil Sith as was originally intended.

p2qxzxlyotfxnio8pu4i.jpg

Leia's weird scene.
I haven't seen it yet, but so want to go. Hoping it sticks around a couple of weeks.

I'm wonderingcwhat they'll do now that Carrie Fischer is gone? :(

Reactions: Free and Gaze
I haven't seen it yet, but so want to go. Hoping it sticks around a couple of weeks.

I'm wonderingcwhat they'll do now that Carrie Fischer is gone? :(

Probably more satanic Disney rituals to raise the dead.

get out of this thread! *gasp* did you not see [SPOILERS]

:fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:
It's all good @Wyote :D Tagging along here will give me markers to look for when I do go. If a movie is flat for me, I look for all the graphic innuendos and computer insertions. So, if I know it's a flic I want to see, having a preview helps me stick with the story line.

But, I'll go since you've emoji'd 4 times, if it had been 3....well.......

;)

Great thread! I liked it because it was closer to the themes of the original films, where the question of dark and light was constantly being negotiated or unsure. There was some complexity and unexpected dimensions to Kylo Ren in this one compared to TFA. They did a great job with Luke Skywalker's return. He had a much bigger part than I expected, and it worked well. Although they made him a tad bit too grumpy earlier on. :D

It was nice to see Leia Organa. I liked Vice Admiral Hodo, and wished her part was longer and expanded to show contrast with Princess Leia. Benicio del Toro was funny. Domhnall Gleeson did a great job as General Hux. Although Kelly Marie Tran gave a lot to the role, please don't hate me but I was not a fan of the Rose Tico character.

Why? Because . . .
Unfortunately, Finn and Rey barely spoke. Not sure if it was intentionally but they had almost no scenes together. I wondered based on the first film whether they would put them in a romance/relationship (but they introduced this aspect between Rey+Kylo Ren instead, which I really liked. I loved their Jedi connection). But when they initiated something between Finn and Rose, it just felt odd and forced as if they were trying dissuade the audience from any hopes for a possible Finn/Rey romance.

I think they could have done so much more to build Rey and Finn's friendship in this. Also, Rey's backstory is not done well imho. Way too dismissive, how they explained her family. Never got to see her discover the truth on her own way to find her family. Unfortunately, some aspects of the story like this were told through dialogue rather than scenes and action.

I don't think Rey got a chance to show what she could really do as a warrior in this one. Maybe they will in the next one. But overall, Daisy was great! Respect how they treated her character.

That's all I can think of for now. :)

Last edited:
The lightsaber breaking is probably my favorite thing in all of Star Wars ever, as is the Yoda scene.
It is the funniest Star Wars we've ever seen as well. This was off putting to some. It was almost overkill to me, but I think it'll give me rewatchability in the long term.

I loved what they did with Luke's story arc, but I was less enthused with his final stand. It could have been more, but I may have just been unhappy with anything regardless.
His final scene was good but made his final stand lose it's punch.

I liked Rose as a character but she didn't do anything, was pointless and just got in the way of cooler things. Same thing with DJ, and Finn being with them made him effectively mostly pointless as well. Poe managed to still be cool because he's funny.

The first words I said when I came out of the theater were "they just trolled the entire fan base hardcore."
Not in a bad way, I was just surprised. Which is something movies don't do for me often.
You have to respect them for that, at the very least.

The first words I said when I came out of the theater were "they just trolled the entire fan base hardcore."
Not in a bad way, I was just surprised. Which is something movies don't do for me often.
You have to respect them for that, at the very least.

Troll they did, but for what cause? The big problem that all of the new cast including Rey and Kylo, are just plain bland. They don't have character. Comparing Kylo to Darth Vader, is like Justin Bieber to Freddie Mercury. We are told over and over, how Rey is going to save the galaxy, but we're never shown anything that supports that. Secondary roles are pointless, thrown in just for political correctness. They could have scrapped Finn and Rose completely from the script and nothing would have changed at all.

I already set my bar of expectations low for this part, but even that was underdelivered.

Comparing Kylo to Darth Vader, is like Justin Bieber to Freddie Mercury.

I don't compare them other than recognizing that Kylo is Vader's crybaby grandson. It works for me, I like the dude for what he is.

We are told over and over, how Rey is going to save the galaxy

I honestly don't recall being told this at all. I mean, she is the protagonist so it's expected that she'll do some cool shit. That's about all I feel like I've been promised.

They could have scrapped Finn and Rose completely from the script and nothing would have changed at all

Yea I somewhat agree with you here. I would have preferred to see Finn and Poe together doing some cool space cowboy stuff but for some weird reason they threw Rose in the mix, and didn't really develop things enough. Also DJ was just shoehorned in, but at least he did some things and was sort of interesting.

Troll they did, but for what cause? The big problem that all of the new cast including Rey and Kylo, are just plain bland. They don't have character. Comparing Kylo to Darth Vader, is like Justin Bieber to Freddie Mercury. We are told over and over, how Rey is going to save the galaxy, but we're never shown anything that supports that. Secondary roles are pointless, thrown in just for political correctness. They could have scrapped Finn and Rose completely from the script and nothing would have changed at all.

I already set my bar of expectations low for this part, but even that was underdelivered.
Could this be because these characters have not been given as extensive character development throughout multiple movies as for example Vader? They’re new kids on the block we still need to get into their heads a little more before they’ll crawl into our hearts... who am I kidding, Kylo Ren is already there for me... he’s a wildcard in my view

Reactions: Free and Gaze
Great thread! I liked it because it was closer to the themes of the original films, where the question of dark and light was constantly being negotiated or unsure. There was some complexity and unexpected dimensions to Kylo Ren in this one compared to TFA. They did a great job with Luke Skywalker's return. He had a much bigger part than I expected, and it worked well. Although they made him a tad bit too grumpy earlier on. :D

It was nice to see Leia Organa. I liked Vice Admiral Hodo, and wished her part was longer and expanded to show contrast with Princess Leia. Benicio del Toro was funny. Domhnall Gleeson did a great job as General Hux. Although Kelly Marie Tran gave a lot to the role, please don't hate me but I was not a fan of the Rose Tico character.

Why? Because . . .
Unfortunately, Finn and Rey barely spoke. Not sure if it was intentionally but they had almost no scenes together. I wondered based on the first film whether they would put them in a romance/relationship (but they introduced this aspect between Rey+Kylo Ren instead, which I really liked. I loved their Jedi connection). But when they initiated something between Finn and Rose, it just felt odd and forced as if they were trying dissuade the audience from any hopes for a possible Finn/Rey romance.

I think they could have done so much more to build Rey and Finn's friendship in this. Also, Rey's backstory is not done well imho. Way too dismissive, how they explained her family. Never got to see her discover the truth on her own way to find her family. Unfortunately, some aspects of the story like this were told through dialogue rather than scenes and action.

I don't think Rey got a chance to show what she could really do as a warrior in this one. Maybe they will in the next one. But overall, Daisy was great! Respect how they treated her character.

That's all I can think of for now. :)
Rey + Kylo.... that needs to happen, romantically... I’m all for it

I honestly don't recall being told this at all. I mean, she is the protagonist so it's expected that she'll do some cool shit. That's about all I feel like I've been promised.

She was "approved" multiple times by Luke himself and others: "there's great force in her", "I will not be the last Jedi", "let's make space for new generation" etc. But all of her Jedi training are just a few feeble lessons and reading "how to be a Jedi for dummies" while in transit. There was no real achievement of the status she had been uplifted to.

Could this be because these characters have not been given as extensive character development throughout multiple movies as for example Vader? They’re new kids on the block we still need to get into their heads a little more before they’ll crawl into our hearts... who am I kidding, Kylo Ren is already there for me... he’s a wildcard in my view
We're already two movies into the new franchise and still waiting for that character development to happen. The original trilogy nailed it right from the start.

Rey + Kylo.... that needs to happen, romantically... I’m all for it

The names Rey and Ren mean some form of the term ruler (King/Queen) so...
Also, Rey is the more masculine name and Ren is more feminine.

Who here feels that Rey was lied to about her parentage?? I do... I do big time
The names Rey and Ren mean some form of the term ruler (King/Queen) so...
Also, Rey is the more masculine name and Ren is more feminine.
thats actually pretty interesting information, I do feel that Rey has more of a masculine energy if you compare her to Kylo.... or is it only me seeing that? Actually what would constitute as someone having more of a masculine or feminine personality/vibe??? could also just be the way they’re conducting themselves, Kylo has some issues and ain’t handling them too well

Who here feels that Rey was lied to about her parentage??

I don't think so. I think she just really wishes to see them again, as any abandoned child would

Kylo has some issues and ain’t handling them too well

He had an emotionally disconnected father and a mentor who was frightened of him lol

:::shots fired:::