SOUL | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

SOUL

Let’s do it.

What I meant was I think you are skipping over the body of what I am trying to relay. I dont believe a viable solution to anything can be achieved with out knowing what the foundation is. If you try to build a solution on anything other than that, it will fail.
Did good an evil suddenly pop into existence the second the first human became conscious and aware? You seem to be suggesting that good and evil along with any benefits or repercussions is based primarily on "feeling".

[MENTION=10399]ODyssey[/MENTION]

Ahhhhhh..... I am on a phone and not getting any better typing on it! :)

The short story.
I was very sick in 2009 and stayed that way until about a year ago. When I was sickest the senses in my body were messed up. I would move my head and my brain would register the movement a second after so even when my head was still it felt as if it were moving. I had tunnel vision, loud buzzing in my ears, difficulty breathing on occasion, nausea. ..the list goes on and on.
At some point I felt very disconnected from the world. Literally felt as if I was completely alone. I cant explain better. It was difficult for me to think in this state. Its called brain fog. In this hindered state I went internally looking for me and who I used to be. I was so much lesser than I normally was. I was lesser aware of myself and certainly the things around me. Moving through life based on repetitive action. I could feed myself, talk, walk though not well sometimes but I was lesser. I looked for my foundation, I looked for my soul as something to grab and hold onto. I found nothing there. I was what my brain allowed me to experience or was able to. As much as I fear it, the truth is we may in fact only be what our brains tell us we are.

Last edited:
What I meant was I think you are skipping over the body of what I am trying to relay. I dont believe a viable solution to anything can be achieved with out knowing what the foundation is. If you try to build a solution on anything other than that, it will fail.
Did good an evil suddenly pop into existence the second the first human became conscious and aware? You seem to be suggesting that good and evil along with any benefits or repercussions is based primarily on "feeling".

Ahhhhhh..... I am on a phone and not getting any better typing on it! :)

The short story.
I was very sick in 2009 and stayed that way until about a year ago. When I was sickest the senses in my body were messed up. I would move my head and my brain would register the movement a second after so even when my head was still it felt as if it were moving. I had tunnel vision, loud buzzing in my ears, difficulty breathing on occasion, nausea. ..the list goes on and on.
At some point I felt very disconnected from the world. Literally felt as if I was completely alone. I cant explain better. It was difficult for me to think in this state. Its called brain fog. In this hindered state I went internally looking for me and who I used to be. I was so much lesser than I normally was. I was lesser aware of myself and certainly the things around me. Moving through life based on repetitive action. I could feed myself, talk, walk though not well sometimes but I was lesser. I looked for my foundation, I looked for my soul as something to grab and hold onto. I found nothing there. I was what my brain allowed me to experience or was able to. As much as I fear it, the truth is we may in fact only be what our brains tell us we are.

I don’t know all the answers man.
I just have ideas based on experiences and my own life.
Same and anyone, same as you.
But not.

I’m sorry that you had that experience, I know we have talked about that before.
It is easy to feel disconnected and very difficult to feel connected actually.
Because we are wired as an ego machine.

Have you though of the possibility that you didn’t find the individual you went looking for it because maybe individualism is not what you needed…you needed to feel connected?
Or you didn’t find the person deep inside because your soul is not connected and tuned in, and you honestly didn’t recognize yourself because you couldn’t remember who you were?

As for good and evil, that definition isn’t what I ascribe to.
I have spent a great deal of time actually pondering such questions of good and evil. (see tagline about sin)
There are two ways to look at it - one is from a logical, beneficial to society, good of mankind way.
And, there is good and evil in a spiritual sense, why we are here, what is our purpose, etc...and I don’t believe you can have one without the other because it is an incomplete idea of what good and evil are.

I am suggesting that our morals and laws that have varied wildly over the centuries mankind has existed as a melange of the spiritual and logical, and quite possibly instinctual.

You cannot just focus your energies on studying one aspect without all of them.

I don’t know all the answers man.
I just have ideas based on experiences and my own life.
Same and anyone, same as you.
But not.

I’m sorry that you had that experience, I know we have talked about that before.
It is easy to feel disconnected and very difficult to feel connected actually.
Because we are wired as an ego machine.

Have you though of the possibility that you didn’t find the individual you went looking for it because maybe individualism is not what you needed…you needed to feel connected?
Or you didn’t find the person deep inside because your soul is not connected and tuned in, and you honestly didn’t recognize yourself because you couldn’t remember who you were?

As for good and evil, that definition isn’t what I ascribe to.
I have spent a great deal of time actually pondering such questions of good and evil. (see tagline about sin)
There are two ways to look at it - one is from a logical, beneficial to society, good of mankind way.
And, there is good and evil in a spiritual sense, why we are here, what is our purpose, etc...and I don’t believe you can have one without the other because it is an incomplete idea of what good and evil are.

I am suggesting that our morals and laws that have varied wildly over the centuries mankind has existed as a melange of the spiritual and logical, and quite possibly instinctual.

You cannot just focus your energies on studying one aspect without all of them.

Sorry that other post was a response directed at odyssey. I know people get tired of my mentioning it.

The time I describe is what it is. I remember driving down the road early morning before the sun came up. Other cars on the road but feeling as if therewas no one in them. I question today if we are not all connected to eachother in some way that allows us to sense eachother on something like a telepathic level and that my brain was so messed up this connection was turned off.
I cannot put into words the aloneness I felt. Imagine feeling as if you have no connection at all to anything.
Bah anyway.

Sorry that other post was a response directed at odyssey. I know people get tired of my mentioning it.

The time I describe is what it is. I remember driving down the road early morning before the sun came up. Other cars on the road but feeling as if therewas no one in them. I question today if we are not all connected to eachother in some way that allows us to sense eachother on something like a telepathic level and that my brain was so messed up this connection was turned off.
I cannot put into words the aloneness I felt. Imagine feeling as if you have no connection at all to anything.
Bah anyway.
I think that would be terrible, I’m sorry that is how you felt.
Maybe your illness did effect that part of the mind…it wouldn’t be the strangest case in history?

Tell me, when you tried mushrooms earlier in your life, did they simulate that area of the brain for you?

I think that would be terrible, I’m sorry that is how you felt.
Maybe your illness did effect that part of the mind…it wouldn’t be the strangest case in history?

Tell me, when you tried mushrooms earlier in your life, did they simulate that area of the brain for you?

I wasnt that scientific about it. They were available so I ate them. :D
Very long time ago. What I remember is that colors were more pronounced and interesting. The sky looked as if it had geometric overlay on it... clouds took on diamond pattering. Size of things seems a bit off. Sometimes larger sometimes smaller though not by much. I did nit eat many so I suspect it was not that large of an experience.
Ummm.. all and all though when I was sick there isnt much to tell about other than what I was feeling physically. I have the idea my brain was only able to process a certain amount of information and that all of its resources were going to that end. I was lesser. I did not have access to long tdrm memories, I had to write grocery lists of what I needed so that when I got to the store I could remember....
I dont think it can ever be explained well to someone who has never experienced something like it.

[MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION]
Ill leave you with a thought before I go to work.
What thought do you think has a better chance of propagating. One where we continue on in a better though altered state or one where we simply end. Which if forced to would people rather talk about?
We cannot help but accept bias permeates our thoughts.
However... I am not as scared of absolute termination as one might think. Though a life of freedom a d learning is preferable to me, absolute peace is not unwelcoming either. I believe I can look here unblinking where others may not be able. Though its not entirely comforting by any means.

I wasnt that scientific about it. They were available so I ate them. :D
Very long time ago. What I remember is that colors were more pronounced and interesting. The sky looked as if it had geometric overlay on it... clouds took on diamond pattering. Size of things seems a bit off. Sometimes larger sometimes smaller though not by much. I did nit eat many so I suspect it was not that large of an experience.
Ummm.. all and all though when I was sick there isnt much to tell about other than what I was feeling physically. I have the idea my brain was only able to process a certain amount of information and that all of its resources were going to that end. I was lesser. I did not have access to long tdrm memories, I had to write grocery lists of what I needed so that when I got to the store I could remember....
I dont think it can ever be explained well to someone who has never experienced something like it.

@Skarekrow
Ill leave you with a thought before I go to work.
What thought do you think has a better chance of propagating. One where we continue on in a better though altered state or one where we simply end. Which if forced to would people rather talk about?
We cannot help but accept bias permeates our thoughts.
However... I am not as scared of absolute termination as one might think. Though a life of freedom a d learning is preferable to me, absolute peace is not unwelcoming either. I believe I can look here unblinking where others may not be able. Though its not entirely comforting by any means.
I am not 100% certain that life continues one after death…I will be the first to admit that.
I am just looking at the overall experience…and if you really look at the overall experience, the overall is there is no NDE.
Usually the person is just unconscious and they don’t travel out of body…these are extraordinary claims!
And yet they happen in cases where they shouldn’t…and we have verified things people have seen and correlations that preclude a knowledge of NDEs.
We will all find out if blackness or something more waits for us…perhaps it is ALL just an elaborate illusion that is hyper-real to comfort us as we blink out of existence…it’s sounds fantastic and wonderful nonetheless…I look forward to it as you do.

[MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION] no I certainly dont know either. I suspect that is why I ask more questions then give answers. I do firmly believe though that when defining something..life, death...who or what is causing global warming :D its done on the base foundation. Its not what we want or think to be true but what is true. This is what creates real solutions that stand the test of time. I want real solutions. I dont want to keep putting out fires because the realpproblem is never addressed. But this has been my life. I never get what I want in a work environment I doubt ill get it any place else. :)

@Eventhorizon I am so sorry to hear about your circumstances. But by sharing that with us you have brought another perspective to consider. A perspective that many seem to overlook. But I agree in many ways with what @Eventhorizon is trying to say. While all possibilities are open(soul existing or not), we also have to be able to see our biases. People want there to be concrete answers to their questions. They want meaning, an afterlife to see the ones they cherish. Humans in general are driven by fear and that is what pushes many of us to create correlation between ideas and values to help with the uncertainty that eventually it could all potentially be... Meaningless. With that said I think most would prefer to talk about the afterlife vs a termination of existence. Fear is very powerful...

Here's a thought....

If you take a hologram and you cut it up into two pieces you don't end up with two halves of the same image, you end up with two smaller images of the same image

This is because the whole of a hologram is contained within each part of it

So if we live in a holographic universe then the whole of the universe is contained within us

This then opens the door to all sorts of phenomena

Last edited:
[MENTION=8603]Eventhorizon[/MENTION] sorry to hear that:m068:. But doesn't it make sense that you felt that way because of your sickness? perhaps you felt hopeless then? Some temporary mental condition that made you think that way.. hormones.. wouldn't it fair to say that you weren't at prime situation to be able to judge such situations and base your belief on that. I don't know what happened, but search your heart, do you really think that we're only our brains, and that we're not souls..:m167:

[MENTION=8603]Eventhorizon[/MENTION] sorry to hear that:m068:. But doesn't it make sense that you felt that way because of your sickness? perhaps you felt hopeless then? Some temporary mental condition that made you think that way.. hormones.. wouldn't it fair to say that you weren't at prime situation to be able to judge such situations and base your belief on that. I don't know what happened, but search your heart, do you really think that we're only our brains, and that we're not souls..:m167:
I only know what I found. If sickness can detach you where you feel completely alone like that, it may be that the physical overrides everything else. Of course I dont want fo believe it. I wont tell you this is set in stone because its not. Only that what I found was very bleak.

It’s all very subjective…that is part of why it has been so difficult to study it or gain funding to study it.

Anybody remember this
[video=youtube;-zpGfxgPEQY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zpGfxgPEQY[/video]

Sorry, I'm kind of speaking up in someone else's question, but I wanted to ask....Why can't a soul simply be the conceptualized ideology and conscious experiences of a person as determined and encoded in the brain? This metaphysical construct that results from the complex interconnections of the neural synapses as they are, leading to awareness among other things. Cannot a soul simply be that which we consider most human about us and also unique to each of us? That being a neural network that leads to what we consider as ourselves?
I'm considering this from more of a philosophy perspective, and the term soul is a very undefined term. In my experience the term soul is usually used to represent the idea of the human psyche. That's why I question why it cannot simply be caused by the physical alone. However I am aware of other concepts that have very different consequences, namely religious perceptions. To take a religious perspective begs the answer of it cannot be caused by the physical (in at least some considerations). Not much of an alternative if the definition excludes the alternative :). However, there are many variations.

I hope I’m not deviating! – Where does the HEART (I’m not referring to the organ) fit in with the SOUL? I think they are both intangible but intrinsically linked. So when people say things like, “I love you with all my heart,” or “I’m heartbroken,” or “Why is my soul downcast,” or “May his/her soul rest in peace” – I think the context in which these phrases are spoken/ expressed has to be more than just in a metaphorical sense?

I hope I’m not deviating! – Where does the HEART (I’m not referring to the organ) fit in with the SOUL? I think they are both intangible but intrinsically linked. So when people say things like, “I love you with all my heart,” or “I’m heartbroken,” or “Why is my soul downcast,” or “May his/her soul rest in peace” – I think the context in which these phrases are spoken/ expressed has to be more than just in a metaphorical sense?

I think heart is tied to feelings. So let me ask, after the body dies does the spiritual essence of heart remain?