Social Intelligence | INFJ Forum

Social Intelligence

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
IQ (Intelligence Quotient) simply measures a person's ability to manipulate abstract concepts. It does not measure a person's emotional intelligence or social intelligence. We all know those people who are academic prodigies but struggle when it comes to dealing with their own feelings or their fellow human beings.

Emotional Intelligence can be understood in terms of self awareness and emotional facility. It's the ability to sense and recognize one's own inner state and an adeptness at maintaining a balanced state that allows optimal functioning in day to day life. People who are chronically overstressed, apathetic, etc. may be lacking in emotional intelligence.

Social Intelligence is social awareness and social facility. It is the ability to sense other people's inner states, such as thoughts and feelings, and adeptness at utilizing that knowledge to create smooth and effective interactions. Just like IQ can be broken down into skill sets, social intelligence can also be broken down 8 basic categories.

Empathy: the ability to feel with others, usually by sensing nonverbal emotional signals.

Attunement (Active Listening): Listening to others with full attention.

Empathetic accuracy (Intuition): the ability to understand another person's thoughts, feelings, and intentions.

Social cognition: knowledge of the social world, such as manners, connotation, customs, etc.

Synchrony: the ability to interact smoothly even at the non verbal level, such as using corresponding body language and facial expression.

Self Presentation: knowledge of how to effectively use one's appearance, such as clothing, hygiene, etc.

Influence: the ability to shape the outcomes of social interactions

Concern: genuinely caring about others' needs and acting accordingly.

Do you think INFJs generally have high social intelligence? How would you rank yourself? Do you struggle with any of the eight categories above?

Notes taken from Social Intelligence by Daniel Goleman.

I used to have none when I was younger. Now I think (after reading that), that I have ALOT. I would venture to guess that most INFJ's are as well. I deffiantly lack Social cognition alot, and influence (that is extremely dependent on who it is though, I can influence some VERY easy, others, not at all). I sort of lack Self Presentation, not so much that I don't know it, but more that I find it trivial.

I struggle with these:

Social cognition: knowledge of the social world, such as manners, connotation, customs, etc.

Synchrony: the ability to interact smoothly even at the non verbal level, such as using corresponding body language and facial expression.

eh I don't seem to struggle with any of them really.

Honestly I tend to place slightly more respect in EQ than I do IQ and NFs often have this area under control once a certain level of maturity is reached.

Personally I think I do arrite*

*for an NT :rolleyes:

IQ (Intelligence Quotient) simply measures a person's ability to manipulate abstract concepts. It does not measure a person's emotional intelligence or social intelligence. We all know those people who are academic prodigies but struggle when it comes to dealing with their own feelings or their fellow human beings.

Emotional Intelligence can be understood in terms of self awareness and emotional facility. It's the ability to sense and recognize one's own inner state and an adeptness at maintaining a balanced state that allows optimal functioning in day to day life. People who are chronically overstressed, apathetic, etc. may be lacking in emotional intelligence.

Social Intelligence is social awareness and social facility. It is the ability to sense other people's inner states, such as thoughts and feelings, and adeptness at utilizing that knowledge to create smooth and effective interactions. Just like IQ can be broken down into skill sets, social intelligence can also be broken down 8 basic categories.

Empathy: the ability to feel with others, usually by sensing nonverbal emotional signals.

Attunement (Active Listening): Listening to others with full attention.

Empathetic accuracy (Intuition): the ability to understand another person's thoughts, feelings, and intentions.

Self Presentation: knowledge of how to effectively use one's appearance, such as clothing, hygiene, etc.

Concern: genuinely caring about others' needs and acting accordingly.

Do you think INFJs generally have high social intelligence? How would you rank yourself? Do you struggle with any of the eight categories above?

Notes taken from Social Intelligence by Daniel Goleman.

Influence is definately a tough one for me in casual situations, but if it is a client or customer of mine, I am fine because I'm the leader. I am also a bit weak in the intuition and social congnition areas. I have been known to misread (or so they say) a person, and have a difficult time reading someone who is new to me. It takes me awhile to tune in to them, so to speak.