Social Experiment. Perception of Quran vs. Bible | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

Social Experiment. Perception of Quran vs. Bible

How many muftis are there in the world? Just to get a sense whether this is a significant number or not.

Jesus…fucking Debbie Downer all the time.

How many muftis are there in the world? Just to get a sense whether this is a significant number or not.

Isn't the correct question how many attended the event? Only those that attended the event could have signed the petition....
And considering wiki says only thousands attend (rather than hundreds of thousands or millions), it seems that it is a majority.

Edit: you know...cause wiki is reliable, lol. I don't know how many actually attend. This was just the only place I looked. I'm kinda slacking from my paper :/

Jesus…fucking Debbie Downer all the time.
Downer? If there are only 100 000, that means 70%; but if there are 70 000 000, that's only 0.1%. The facts shouldn't be a downer.

Isn't the correct question how many attended the event? Only those that attended the event could have signed the petition....
And considering wiki says only thousands attend (rather than hundreds of thousands or millions), it seems that it is a majority.

Edit: you know...cause wiki is reliable, lol. I don't know how many actually attend. This was just the only place I looked. I'm kinda slacking from my paper :/
You mean, like asking how many people own a Star Trek costume at Comicon, or in the population at large?

Reactions: Elegant Winter
Wow…holy wow!
We are not going to turn Murica into a fascist nation…nor does any race of humankind have superiority over any other…the very things you are talking about implementing go absolutely contrary to what this country was founded on (speaking of the founding fathers).
You are advocating religious persecution of a particular religion by the whole country of the US?
Do we learn nothing at all from history…including our own?
What did we do to the Native Americans? You think the Muslims are going to take over like we did back then?
Google - “Manzanar”
Google - “Operation Wetback” (yes, that was the actual name).

Now we have people attacking Muslims (and non-Muslims idiotic Americans think are Muslim) in the US because of fear-mongering.
I’m not afraid in the slightest…I’m more scared of dying in a car crash or if it is a shooter that kills me eventually - statistically it will be another white person who does it.
Not only is what you suggest immoral and grouping entire people together unfairly, but it is actually against the law in the US.
So good luck with that.

If we reach that point - I’m fucking moving and you can have the shithole you helped build.
BTW, I have travelled to quite a few places around the world and people treated me like I treated them - like a friend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_guilt

Downer? If there are only 100 000, that means 70%; but if there are 70 000 000, that's only 0.1%. The facts shouldn't be a downer.

You mean, like asking how many people own a Star Trek costume at Comicon, or in the population at large?

Well, considering that the idea of this would be to gage approval or disapproval of terrorists, I would say that this is a different example. Certainly, wearing a star trek costume at comicon would be approved of. However, whether or not this petition is approved of is the question we are getting at. If the petition was well taken by this sample, then a majority would have signed it. If a majority didn't sign it, then either it wasn't well approved of or they didn't make the effort to distribute it.

Further, notice that this is of their clerics, not just the general population. That reduces the numbers. I'm not sure what their ratio of clerics to faithful is, but I bet it's smaller than 1 to 1.

If anything, your example is suggesting exactly what we want. That the religion condemns the acts of its extremists, and enthusiastically so. Perhaps that they are peaceful, and just like us...

If anything, your example is suggesting exactly what we want. That the religion condemns the acts of its extremists, and enthusiastically so. Perhaps that they are peaceful, and just like us...
Conferences tend to draw like minded individuals and concentrate certain viewpoints, so that conferences rarely represent the broader community. Hence the Star Trek at Comicon example.

In any case, the consensus among most muslims, is that a fatwa is only binding on the person who issues it. So if 70,000 muslim clerics have issued a fatwa against terror, all we need now if for another 1.6 billion muslims to issue such a fatwa, or at least commit themselves to such a fatwa. 0.004% of muslims issuing a fatwa against terror is a start and I won't deny that, or say that it isn't a good thing. Just need to work on the other 99.996%.

Conferences tend to draw like minded individuals and concentrate certain viewpoints, so that conferences rarely represent the broader community. Hence the Star Trek at Comicon example.
True, but the kind of like-mindedness drawn to a religious festival are really just those that are of that religion. Its not some niche group like the Comicon example.

In any case, the consensus among most muslims, is that a fatwa is only binding on the person who issues it. So if 70,000 muslim clerics have issued a fatwa against terror, all we need now if for another 1.6 billion muslims to issue such a fatwa, or at least commit themselves to such a fatwa. 0.004% of muslims issuing a fatwa against terror is a start and I won't deny that, or say that it isn't a good thing. Just need to work on the other 99.996%.

Granted, but I'm not interpreting it as who or what is bound by the Fatwa. I'm interpreting it as what it indicates for people of that faith. So, it indicates that the faith in general condemns the terrorists. Would you expect every Christian to sign a petition condemning the Christian terrorist groups (see here for descriptions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism#Africa) before deciding that most Christians are peaceful? No, we know it because we live in it. It's the extremists that are the problem.

Reactions: Skarekrow
We will learn more of the differences in the coming years. As Christianity has many subgroups that broke away because of differences in translation of scriptures, so does Islam; only problem being the sword.

Many passages in the Quran exhort Muslims to hate or kill or terrorize infidels (non-Muslims) wherever they find them. See Suras 2:190-193, 2:216, 2:244, 3:56, 3:142, 3:151, 4:56, 4:74 (beheading), 4:76, 4:84, 4:89, 4:91, 4:95, 4:104, 5:51, 5:32-38, 7:96-99, 8:12-15 (beheading, terrorism), 8:39, 8:57-60, 8:65-67, 9:5, 9:14, 9:20-30, 9:38-41, 9:73, 9:88, 9:111, 9:123, 17:16, 18:65-81, 21:44, 22:18-22, 25:52, 33:60-62, 47:3-4 (beheading), 47:35, 48:16-17, 48:29, 61:4, and 66:8-12. (Note: English translators of the Quran sometimes try to soften the true Arabic meaning of some of these passages. For example, to "fight" really means to kill in Arabic.) There are various versions of the Quran online so you can look these passages up.

Capital punishment is part of the Islamic teachings; and while I don't hate it, they do not justify it in a courtroom.

Though they both believe Jesus was here, some do not believe He was the Messiah.

One religion speaks of turning the other cheek. These religions are not comparable, though they are both claiming to be Abrahamic religions. One claims Isaac, while the other claims Ishmael, to be the chosen child of Abraham. The one that chooses Ishmael does not claim that type of lineage in their own leaders.

Last edited: