Social Experiment. Perception of Quran vs. Bible

dogman6126

Community Member
May 9, 2014
MBTI
ENFJ-wasINFJ
So I recently saw this video on Facebook:

[video=youtube;zEnWw_lH4tQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEnWw_lH4tQ[/video]

I was wanting to hear some people's thoughts on this. I also was hoping that people who are more familiar with the bible can point out the specific verses they are using in the experiment, as I am suspicious that a lot of them are pulled from the old testament.

I know those. They're in the Bible. Most of them are from the Old Testament.

Leviticus 26
27  If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me, 28 then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over. 29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters. 30 I will destroy your high places, cut down your incense altars and pile your dead bodies on the lifeless forms of your idols, and I will abhor you.

Deuteronomy 25
11 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

Leviticus 20
13 If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Those are all OT

An NT one is this:
1 Timothy 2
12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

I know those. They're in the Bible. Most of them are from the Old Testament.

Leviticus 26
27  If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me, 28 then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over. 29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters. 30 I will destroy your high places, cut down your incense altars and pile your dead bodies on the lifeless forms of your idols, and I will abhor you.

Deuteronomy 25
11 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

Leviticus 20
13 If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Those are all OT

An NT one is this:
1 Timothy 2
12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

Thanks man. Do you know of any other versus in the new testament that would have applied in this experiment? Meaning claims that are not inline with generalized Western culture?

Thanks man. Do you know of any other versus in the new testament that would have applied in this experiment? Meaning claims that are not inline with generalized Western culture?

Not of the top of my head. Doesn't mean there isn't anything. Most of the really controversial stuff I've seen is in the OT

Edit:
Though Romans does still speak against homosexuality.

If think if the same prank/social experiment was set up, reading passages of the quran to muslims, who thought it was the bible, you might have seen even better reactions.

Probably wouldn't find it on youtube, but only on liveleak.

[MENTION=11455]dogman6126[/MENTION]

Though there is quite a lot about wives being submissive to husbands.

And be silent in churches.

If think if the same prank/social experiment was set up, reading passages of the quran to muslims, who thought it was the bible, you might have seen even better reactions.

Probably wouldn't find it on youtube, but only on liveleak.

They would probably be caught immediately.

So I recently saw this video on Facebook:

[video=youtube;zEnWw_lH4tQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEnWw_lH4tQ[/video]

I was wanting to hear some people's thoughts on this. I also was hoping that people who are more familiar with the bible can point out the specific verses they are using in the experiment, as I am suspicious that a lot of them are pulled from the old testament.

Yes many were pulled from the old testimant. My perception though is the there is absolutely no difference between the old testimant and king james other than the king james was born of decite. If god commanded man, its an all knowing all powerful being. .. it would have had no issue making its words true for all time. Never having to be reinterpreted. In fact the old testimant clearly says, dont mistake these words ever. This is the law, never break it. So in effect all following the king james version are in fact going to hell. If you believe in that sort of thing.

Yes many were pulled from the old testimant. My perception though is the there is absolutely no difference between the old testimant and king james other than the king james was born of decite. If god commanded man, its an all knowing all powerful being. .. it would have had no issue making its words true for all time. Never having to be reinterpreted. In fact the old testimant clearly says, dont mistake these words ever. This is the law, never break it. So in effect all following the king james version are in fact going to hell. If you believe in that sort of thing.

The King James Version also contains the Old Testament you know....

Most people never devel deep into the religious texts of their religion. They are happy enough with having their religious leader pick and choose the best parts.
I really believe that if more people took the time to look into it you would see a mass exodus from religion. Oh wait, thats kind of already happening.

It's interesting that they took the less than 5% of the Hebrew OT and less than 1% of the Christian NT that speak about violence and the low status of women and didn't examine the 90% of the trilogy of Islamic books that speak about political violence and the low status of women.

I don't understand what you're saying. Why would there be a difference between the OT and the king james when the King James contains the OT?

I don't understand what you're saying. Why would there be a difference between the OT and the king james when the King James contains the OT?
I think he's implying that because it doesn't have the Orthodox apocrypha that it isn't the whole OT. Whether that counts or not depends on your view.

As far as I know, the KJV has the full OT as in the Hebrew Bible. The Catholic and Orthodox versions have some extra bits that not everyone agrees on.

I think he's implying that because it doesn't have the Orthodox apocrypha that it isn't the whole OT. Whether that counts or not depends on your view.

As far as I know, the KJV has the full OT as in the Hebrew Bible. The Catholic and Orthodox versions have some extra bits that not everyone agrees on.

Yes you are right. The KJV has the full Hebrew OT; it is not missing anything. The original KJV 1611 printing had the apocrypha in it between the old and new testament but it held the disclaimer that it wasn't a part of the OT or the NT and was there just for church history purposes, not to be read as divinely inspired. The KJV had the apocrypha in it up until the 18 and 1900s but always had the disclaimer until it was finally just removed.

I wasn't aware that even the Catholics held the apocrypha as part of the OT. I thought it had its own section. I don't think they consider it part of the OT, but I don't know for sure.