So what do you do for employment? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

So what do you do for employment?

It's not something that's easy to avoid in life...

I wasn't going to say, but I currently teach English at a middle school in South Korea. I've been doing EFL for a looooong time now-- too long… so long I'm probably only very marginally employable back home… it's not really a field with a lot of mobility.

I do genuinely enjoy the job, though. The kids are cool and even though middle schoolers can be moody and difficult, I think I've found my groove with them and they seem to like me . I have a lot of freedom when it comes to what I teach and I get to do a lot of really fun stuff… I basically get paid to talk to young adults and try to help them feel confident and share their opinions in English…

I'm probably socially retarded at this point and I kind of had a mini-meltdown last time I tried to re-enter English-speaking society-- so I'm not completely sure if I'll ever go back… I will leave Korea though.

What a predicament....

What about getting a degree in social work and look for a large Korean population in North America to work with? Seems like I saw one in WA....I think Seattle area. Then there's the east coast NY/NJ urban areas. Your skill in the culture and language would be highly desirable. Later...you could work on your PhD and could even think of becoming a teacher in the social work programs of major universities.

I imagine it is hard to meet people you could make friends with over there.

Reactions: Apone
I'm in a really bad luck regarding my career. My ambitions are in movie making or in psychology, but I have a special case. I was literally thrown out by my family, and I moved to the UK with my girlfriend to pursue better life. But the thing is : I don't have a qualification in anything, I wanted to go to university, but my family didn't fund me. So now I have to do all the immigrant jobs, in a warehouse or in fast food restaurant. But I really hate working in these places, imagine for an INFJ... I am not really fast, and not a least bit practical. But even If I am good at it, I can't do it for more than 4 months... Now as I write this, I just resigned from another fast food restaurant, because I gave them 110% of me, and I was really fast and my body answered this with very high blood pressure, stress and nose bleeding. And I really really hated them.
I really want to do something that fits my personality at least a carer job, but I just couldn't get it. I occasionally get some assistant job at a movie shooting, but I can't live with occasional jobs...
So any advice? Or similar story?

It's not something that's easy to avoid in life...

I wasn't going to say, but I currently teach English at a middle school in South Korea. I've been doing EFL for a looooong time now-- too long… so long I'm probably only very marginally employable back home… it's not really a field with a lot of mobility.

I do genuinely enjoy the job, though. The kids are cool and even though middle schoolers can be moody and difficult, I think I've found my groove with them and they seem to like me . I have a lot of freedom when it comes to what I teach and I get to do a lot of really fun stuff… I basically get paid to talk to young adults and try to help them feel confident and share their opinions in English…

I'm probably socially retarded at this point and I kind of had a mini-meltdown last time I tried to re-enter English-speaking society-- so I'm not completely sure if I'll ever go back… I will leave Korea though.

Had you thought about going into teaching as a career?

In the UK they have halved the PGCE qualification a teacher needs from 12 months to a fasttrack 6 months course. This was because of a wave of people losing their jobs in the financial sector so the government sought to find a way to get them promptly back into employment

If you've been doing EFL then you've already got valuable classroom experience....you're half way there already

Or you could find work as a private tutor if you have knowledge in a particular area and if not then you could work as a private tutor teaching language. That work you can do pretty much anywhere in the world. The money could be decent if you work for wealthy clientele and it would give you control over your work hours. You could even combine it with travel

If you have a second language then you could work as a translator eg at the EU or something like that....pretty fast paced and glamourous work!

But yeah the obvious skill set you have been acquiring is teaching, which is a pretty adaptable and useful skill

[MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION]

Does it comfort you to know that I'm influencing young minds with my pro-establishment agenda?
:p

Anyways, thanks for the counseling [MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2578]Kgal[/MENTION]… I did try to get the full teaching certification (in New Zealand of all places, don't ask me why-- I just thought it would be nice there) but I kinda have a lot of anxiety that got much much worse when I re-entered English speaking society (I think it was worse because I was expecting it to be easier, but it wasn't). I had a mini-meltdown when it came time to prove how great I was in front of people and I eventually had to drop out. I didn't really want to be a teacher anyways so I'm not that upset… and it was good to get out early before sinking too much money into it.

I'm thinking the next step is going to be doing something I've always wanted to do, even if it isn't 'smart'-- it sounds completely crazy, but my current big plan is to save up some money and then in 2014 or 15, move to Mongolia and make a sci-fi film in the desert. Looking forward to that keeps me sane, even if I don't know how I'm going to pull it off… but I think at this point I'm going to have to either do something that I've always wanted to do or end up completely broken down inside.

Regardless of whether or not that works out, I don't want my next job to involve people/pretending to be nice/the potential to be micromanaged… that sucks.

@muir

Does it comfort you to know that I'm influencing young minds with my pro-establishment agenda?
:p

Lol

I know you're just flirting with the dark side. You'll come over to us, where you belong....in time

Anyways, thanks for the counseling @muir and @Kgal … I did try to get the full teaching certification (in New Zealand of all places, don't ask me why-- I just thought it would be nice there) but I kinda have a lot of anxiety that got much much worse when I re-entered English speaking society (I think it was worse because I was expecting it to be easier, but it wasn't). I had a mini-meltdown when it came time to prove how great I was in front of people and I eventually had to drop out. I didn't really want to be a teacher anyways so I'm not that upset… and it was good to get out early before sinking too much money into it.

Its also one more life experience. At least you learned what you didn't like

I'm thinking the next step is going to be doing something I've always wanted to do, even if it isn't 'smart'-- it sounds completely crazy, but my current big plan is to save up some money and then in 2014 or 15, move to Mongolia and make a sci-fi film in the desert. Looking forward to that keeps me sane, even if I don't know how I'm going to pull it off… but I think at this point I'm going to have to either do something that I've always wanted to do or end up completely broken down inside.

Sounds like an awesome idea man. hell even if it doesn't work out exactly as you hoped it will still be a helluva adventure and it might even open up a door to a new adventures

If the film doesn't come together you can always make a parallel documentary about trying to make a sci fi film in Mongolia. Terry Gilliam tried to make Don Quixote into a film and all sorts of crazy shit happened. Weather trashed the set, people got ill, he didn't get permits and all that sort of stuff so the film never got made but instead he made a documentary about trying to make the film! Every cloud has a silver lining!

Regardless of whether or not that works out, I don't want my next job to involve people/pretending to be nice/the potential to be micromanaged… that sucks.

I hear ya, been there done it, got the battlescars!

At one point i was living in the back of my van and working part time. When the van broke down i lived in a tent! When your world shrinks to a tent and a bag on your back and you find yourself still laughing along at it all and you realise that even that isn't so bad (and in fact there is a beauty to simplicity).....well it takes away all the fear of failure

Its all peaks and troughs...its all just an experience

Good luck man. Keep us posted on the film

Jobs suck. I buy, trade and sell assets.

I am on a scholarship to complete a Master's degree full time. I also privately tutor Ancient Greek and Latin and help as a writer for someone in Greek exams. It's pretty sweet.

Reactions: Kgal
I am an undergraduate teaching assistant for Human Anatomy and Physiology, in addition to tutoring for general chemistry.

I also give Reiki for a donation.

Nothing to write home about.. I used to tutor (among many disciplines I used to tutor undergrads with disabilities in logic and chemistry), work as IT support, research assistant, make pizzas, grow mushrooms, work with adults with disabilities (personal care), unload oceanic containers, be unemployed, do factory line work, do receiving at warehouse, etc... Now I am climbing corporate world's ladder, so to speak, which I despise. Who knows what future may hold for me yet.
I will never change my opinion that agriculture and monetary system ruined human civilization.

Reactions: Kgal