So very, very angry.

arbygil

Passing through
Nov 29, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
How can this happen in the 21st century? Just...*how*? And Louisiana is one of the *most* racially mixed areas in the United States!

Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.
By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer Mary Foster, Associated Press Writer 1 hr 1 min ago

NEW ORLEANS

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

If he's citing letting others use his bathroom as proof of his non-racism, then I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a weak argument.

Also:
:m185:

It's a shame that things like this are still going on, even in the 21st century..you would think all this issues will be sort out, but there's still a lot of tension between the races, to the point of violence, perhaps why we are not evolving, we can't get over this things..I think even today, people of different race feel uncomfortable around each other, like some kind of resentment or shame, or anger etc etc..Anybody should have the right to marry, and be happy, not mattering if the couple is interracial or not, if they love each other and they both have good intentions for each other..let it be!!why do people still look at this and think about such things it's beyond me..it should be perfectly normal!!(the same applies to any kind of ''true'' relationship) because I think gay couples are going through a similar situation, that they truly love each other, they want to be happy but we as humans look at it with such bad thoughts!!I wish all kinds of discrimination would just end already!!sheesh!

Not gonna get involved in this debate (should one form), but I will state my opinion:

This made me very mad. The judge was not warrented in denying a marrige lisences to the couple. Reason being is this is not a religious institute, it is a governmental institute. I would agree with the judge if he were a relgious paster and he didn't want to conduct the marriege, as since it is a religous insitute, they have the right to discriminate within their church, as it is a private association. This however, is governmental, and in my eyes, it is illegal for him to deny a lisences off of his opinions.

My arugement is that if the couple does not chose to have children...?

What if they are a sterile couple? What if they do not have sex? What if they are a same sex couple?

U.S. v. Virginia struck down anti inter-racial marriage laws. This judge is effectively legislating from the bench and what he is doing is unconstitutional. An appeal to a higher level court should solve the problem, or they could start a campaign against the judge or find another judge. Marrying minorities to other minorities bares no relevance on the judge's actions.

I'd also recommend the denied couple call the ACLU.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Does anyone else see a problem that he says he is not racist he just doesn't believe in mixing races? Wouldn't that by definition make him racist? I really am angry at him, but I kind of feel sorry for him too. First of all, now he's got everyone who read the article on him and second he had good intensions, he just couldn't see reality. Next time I hope he remembers this and doesn't make such a stupid decision.

I heard about this and I couldn't believe it. I share your wrath. I have no clue why any American judge worthy of his place on the bench would rule this way.

I heard about this and I couldn't believe it. I share your wrath. I have no clue why any American judge worthy of his place on the bench would rule this way.

IMO- most judges are morons. Well, most people are morons, and judges are only to a lesser extent, but they're still not helping.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

The irony is that people like him are precisely the cause of such tensions.

How can this happen in the 21st century? Just...*how*? And Louisiana is one of the *most* racially mixed areas in the United States!

I seriously had to calm down before posting this. I was angry about it for a few days, and just now posted it.

Updated link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091015/ap_on_re_us/us_interracial_rebuff

I share your anger, and for crying out loud, what world is this judge living in? I just took my kids to a local Chik-Fil-A to play and work off some steam There were 2 or 3 interracial couples, one dining happily with their (white, kinda rural-looking) in-laws, said in-laws clearly wrapped around the grandchildrens' little fingers. Also, there were a few black couples, and an asian mother and children. All the children (all under 6) were running around completely happily and normally, and the parents were talking to each other and did not seem the least inclined to reject or be unkind to anyone.

I can safely say my 2-year-old would have bitten any of the kids without bias.

Aside from being angry I am in stunned disbelief, because the little corner of the world where I live seems to have mostly moved past this antiquated system of belief.

I share your anger, and for crying out loud, what world is this judge living in? I just took my kids to a local Chik-Fil-A to play and work off some steam There were 2 or 3 interracial couples, one dining happily with their (white, kinda rural-looking) in-laws, said in-laws clearly wrapped around the grandchildrens' little fingers. Also, there were a few black couples, and an asian mother and children. All the children (all under 6) were running around completely happily and normally, and the parents were talking to each other and did not seem the least inclined to reject or be unkind to anyone.

I can safely say my 2-year-old would have bitten any of the kids without bias.

Aside from being angry I am in stunned disbelief, because the little corner of the world where I live seems to have mostly moved past this antiquated system of belief.

Despite the legality of interracial marriage and dating, most people date only intrarace and intraclass. About 90% of women are hypergamous though, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Racist attitudes are still very deeply seated in many places in this country, both of whites towards non-whites and minority groups towards whites and especially each other.

Just goes to show there are morons in every walk of life.

Despite the legality of interracial marriage and dating, most people date only intrarace and intraclass. About 90% of women are hypergamous though, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Racist attitudes are still very deeply seated in many places in this country, both of whites towards non-whites and minority groups towards whites and especially each other.

Granted, but they still marry and date each other plenty. I heard an interview on NPR recently where there was a club for black women who wanted to date men of different racial backgrounds, (white, asian, hispanic, whatever, as long as they were nice) and it was being led by interracial couples. NPR. Look it up if you don't believe me. Plenty of men seemed to be interested, too!

Has anyone seen Heidi Krum and Seal recently? They have 4 extremely good looking children together.

And now I know what hypergamous means. Thank you for the vocabulary lesson. LOL! Wondering where you get that statistic? (Hypergamous means "marrying up", as I now know. Sounds like my in-laws.) And if 90% of women marry "up", then they must be marrying into a smaller pool of men than there are women trying to get married, right? Depending on how you define "up", so with no disrespect intended, not sure how you get that math to work out.

(Wait a minute... that is probably why we have trophy wives. Never mind.)

All I can say is interracial marriage is very unremarkable, I thought. I was shocked to hear that the judge found it remarkable, today, in Louisiana.

Well people just need to get over it, that's all. And anyone who could reject a little mixed-raced kid deserves a special place in hell.

We ARE one of the most racially mixed areas in the Us, but we also have one of the worst governments. The politicians are incredibly corrupt and power hungry. they spend a ton of the cities money on frivolous stuff and politics, and can't even be bothered to maintain public land. I'm pissed, but not surprised.

That said, I don't want people thinking we're all racists down here. Believe it or not, but I experienced more racism in rural Connecticut than I have in the south.

What's the best their children could ever hope to become, president of the United States?

/facepalm

"I didn't tell this couple they couldn't get married. I just told them I wouldn't do it."

He loves to waste other people's time? That's so unprofessional.

He wouldn't do it, then what?

The couple still get married afterwards!

Under the same logic - "I didn't tell this person he couldn't take a cab. I just told him I wouldn't drive it."

No Justice of the Peace can refuse a petition if put forward legally.