So, how do we make sense of Fi? | INFJ Forum

So, how do we make sense of Fi?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
How can high Fi users and low Fi users make sense of Fi?

How are functional pairs - Ne+Fi or Se+Fi, Te+Fi observed in our everyday lives?

How and/or why do these functional pairs affect our approach to situations, people, and relationships?

Last edited:

I suppose I'm the low Fi variety. Fi tends to be combined with my Te in a way. Efficiency in itself is a value I have and I organize things in my life so that I'll be efficient, so to speak. Efficient, to me, means making the most desirable and less resourceful intensive plan.
How are functional pairs - Ne+Fi or Se+Fi, Te+Fi observed in our everyday lives?

Te+Fi: If I feel that I need to show my friend my appreciation of them for being a good person to me, I'll devise a plan to make them feel good. I'll include things like favorite places, things they tend to like (some people like gifts, some people like hugs, some people like compliments) and, after I have a good plan, I'll make it happen.

How and/or why do these functional pairs affect our approach to situations, people, and relationships?

I tend to think of our functions as a representation of how we interact with the world. In that sense, it's how we 'see' and process everything around us. It's hard for me to completely understand foreign functions (Like Fe and Ti for example. I have a text book understanding of it but I don't have a 'knowledge' of using it.)

Last edited:
Well, Fi is a function that values things, right? It's basically Ti in that it has a strong drive towards clarity and consistency, but directed towards feelings and values.

Fi-Pe operates by seeking out information to value, whereas Pe-Fi operates by immersion in situations which are handled by the value system. Fi and Te operate together by formulation of values followed by an executed plan dictated by those values. To elaborate on the last point, someone could get clear on the fact that they value achievement and being revered, so a comprehensive plan that maximizes these will be devised and executed.

I think that Fi's approach to situations is only interesting if we relate it in contrast to Ti's approach, but I'm not quite sure how we'd expect an INFP to make use of her Te. Is an INFP's Te crisp and to the point?

High Fi user here despite being INFJ, thanks to type 6-ness; but I'd say for being a type 6; my Fi tend to be.....manifested horribly; it always concerned 'survival' and 'suffering' in a way or another. "would I like this or would it make me suffer?" "would it do good for me, or would I suffer because of that?" "will I suffer by this, or will they?"
Ne + Fi = "Hmm, I feel something." "is it this? That? Or this?" (compared to Ni's "It's probably because of this and that or this and that")
Se + Fi = "Hmm, I feel something." "Do something about it then."
Te + Fi = "Hmm, I feel something." "Is it useful?"

Well, Fi is a function that values things, right? It's basically Ti in that it has a strong drive towards clarity and consistency, but directed towards feelings and values.

Fi-Pe operates by seeking out information to value, whereas Pe-Fi operates by immersion in situations which are handled by the value system. Fi and Te operate together by formulation of values followed by an executed plan dictated by those values. To elaborate on the last point, someone could get clear on the fact that they value achievement and being revered, so a comprehensive plan that maximizes these will be devised and executed.

I think that Fi's approach to situations is only interesting if we relate it in contrast to Ti's approach, but I'm not quite sure how we'd expect an INFP to make use of her Te. Is an INFP's Te crisp and to the point?

Well, i know my Te is pretty direct.

Ne + Fi = "Hmm, I feel something." "is it this? That? Or this?" (compared to Ni's "It's probably because of this and that or this and that")
Se + Fi = "Hmm, I feel something." "Do something about it then."
Te + Fi = "Hmm, I feel something." "Is it useful?"

Pretty much how i approach Fi as well.

What does unhealthy Fi look like? Is it just not being able to make sense of your own feelings?

What does unhealthy Fi look like? Is it just not being able to make sense of your own feelings?

Good question. I think it looks like someone who's maybe lost their shadow; it's the person who seems out of tune/touch with what they want and how they feel, and are deeply/strongly affected by it.

I had unhealthy Fi growing up, because much of it was made to sacrifice to please Fe - i wasn't even great with the little Fe i displayed either lol. I was resentful, tense, extremely unsettled, angry, or just plain depressed. It was an important function for me but i never had the opportunity to acknowledge and develop it. Suppressing it for so long made it difficult to relax or experience even a little bit of calm.

Last edited:
Two cases. Think of it as...weapon. Of some sort.

There's an ugly, untempered, bad weapon, or Fi. In this case, it'd be what you just described. Not being able to properly make sense of one's feelings, getting confused and convoluted and basically just bracing through everything. In another words; no or vague standards.

There's also a normal weapon used badly. In this case, it'd be one being willful, obstinate, self-centered, and whiny.

In similar ways will a good Fi manifest.

I'm probably on the low end.

I tend to see my feelings as unimportant and often ignore them.
I also have a suspicion that some of the less pleasant emotions tend to manifest in an uncomfortable pressure under my breastbone.

I really need to work on that.

I'm probably on the low end.

I tend to see my feelings as unimportant and often ignore them.
I also have a suspicion that some of the less pleasant emotions tend to manifest in an uncomfortable pressure under my breastbone.

I really need to work on that.

With a Fi user, their feelings are important. It's a natural part of their functioning. If they ignore it, it makes them less useful and effective. They can't simply ignore it and hope it goes away, because denying or suppressing it will affect them even they don't know that it's there and that it's an important part of how they function. It's that pesky little elephant in the room - you can only ignore it for so long or reap the consequences of not paying it any attention.

Last edited:
When you say Fi user, do you mean someone who is Fi-dominant?

Either way, that sounds like it applies to everyone, but perhaps is more strong the more strong your feeling function is. I know ignoring my own emotions is a bad thing that never really works anyway.

With a Fi user, their feelings are important. It's a natural part of their functioning. If they ignore it, it makes them less useful and effective. They can't simply ignore it and hope it goes away, because denying or suppressing it will affect them even they don't know that it's there and that it's an important part of how they function. It's that pesky little elephant in the room - you can only ignore it for so long or reap the consequences of not paying it any attention.

:m058: I don't get it. I thought if I just ignored them they would go away.

I'm kidding.

Although this used to actually work for me.

I realize it's probaly not healthy though... So when and IF I figgure out somthing is bothering me, I try to give myself somthing like 2 minutes to sort things out with myself. I call it "human time".

Still pretty terrible about it.

EDUCATE ME!

I just think that in general, introverted functions are going to be very difficult to explain in an objective matter because they're all subjective. All we know is that a decision made with feeling is about the subject's general attitude towards the object using the person's unique and individual criteria.

Ask 100 people what their general impression of the beach is and you're going to get 100 different responses, because their impressions have many complex and integrating aspects of their own experience.

I'm scared of bees because when I was little I got stung by many of them. Every time I get close to one, I get a feeling that I should run away. That feeling is my deciding factor for doing the things I do.(Fi)

That's not Fi. That you just being afraid of bees.

That's not Fi. That you just being afraid of bees.

LOL, perhaps that is why. However, my point was that the motivating factor that drives Fi, is an internal sense of what it has experienced and uses the impression associated with it, to make a decision.

Last edited:
LOL, perhaps that is why. However, my point was that the decision factor that drives Fi, is an internal sense of what it has experienced and uses the impression associated with it, to make a decision.

Actually Fi is not necessarily based on experience. Fi is pure, raw, feeling. You had an incident with Se, which made you wary of bees, and so using your Ti - bees sting - they are dangerous, etc. you decided that it wasn't worth it to engage in that experience anymore.

Actually Fi is not necessarily based on experience. Fi is pure, raw, feeling. You had an incident with Se, which made you wary of bees, and so using your Ti - bees sting - they are dangerous, etc. you decided that it wasn't worth it to engage in that experience anymore.

This is possible.

I shall ponder more on this. Forget what I said for the moment.

Good question. I think it looks like someone who's maybe lost their shadow; it's the person who seems out of tune/touch with what they want and how they feel, and are deeply/strongly affected by it.

I had unhealthy Fi growing up, because much of it was made to sacrifice to please Fe - i wasn't even great with the little Fe i displayed either lol. I was resentful, tense, extremely unsettled, angry, or just plain depressed. It was an important function for me but i never had the opportunity to acknowledge and develop it. Suppressing it for so long made it difficult to relax or experience even a little bit of calm.

I still have an unhealthy Fi; what you've described sounds a lot like my own experience.

Funny thing is, I have an uncanny ability to attract folks with Fi as their secondary and tertiary. I wonder if its because I'm lacking in that department.

I guess super simply put, F type judgments consider the effect on people, Fe would be focused on others, Fi would be focused on self, and it’s healthy to consider both. Right?

For an INFJ I have healthy Fi, (according to a psychologist friend). :wink:

Basically I would describe it as not only being aware of my own needs (that have been made known to me by my feelings), but also including them in my judgment process.

Te, and seeing the big picture, is equally responsible for any judgment I make that takes me into consideration because I see the logic in considering myself. I think it’s in that way that Te and Fi work together for me.

I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
Te+Fi: If I feel that I need to show my friend my appreciation of them for being a good person to me, I'll devise a plan to make them feel good. I'll include things like favorite places, things they tend to like (some people like gifts, some people like hugs, some people like compliments) and, after I have a good plan, I'll make it happen.

I pretty much do the same when I'm in a healty state. I do things for others using Te and it is Fi who give the input on what I do for them. If my Fi is healty than what I do is really heartfelt and honest, it comes from deep within and is atuned to what the other person likes/needs. if Fi isn't working at the moment than it is just Te deciding what would be most effici