Snapping | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Snapping

I snap quite often... Usually when something is unfair also. Especially when I feel like I am getting screwed over.
I do try to control it and have gotten better with age.
My mom takes the brunt of it but she doesn't know when to just leave me alone. If I'm allowed to just relax I can usually get myself out of my mood pretty quickly. If I'm pushed while I'm in it... Well...
Hell hath no fury like INFJ wrath.

I used to snap when I was younger. I didn't know any other way to deal with anger or frustration. It's what I grew up with and what I modeled.

These days I don't snap. I don't like the way I feel doing it - I don't like losing control and perspective that way, amongst other things. It helped living with friends who I felt peaceful with and who didn't yell, didn't criticize, didn't snap, or blow up.

I have a goal of living my life with vision and becoming a person I am radiantly proud of, and losing it like that is not part of that path for me. I'm not perfect, I may snap, I still criticize far too much, but I'm also learning to be more peaceful and accepting, and closer to what I dream of.

I rarely snap unless I'm in a mood where my startle reflex is through the roof; then I snap at the noisemaker, even if it's someone rattling a piece of paper. I'm always sorry afterward and explain that my snapping had nothing to do with them, that they did nothing wrong.

Hahaa shit I react the same way to sound if I'm in a bad mood. Can I ask you something personal anica? Are you happy sometimes when you are not 'on the high' so to say?

Yes, of course. When I'm in remission, I derive a great deal of satisfaction from my life and in fact am as happy as anyone else. Of course I'm not euphoric as I am when hypomanic. There's a lot to be said for euphoria and I sometimes miss it when I've been stable for a long time.

Yes, of course. When I'm in remission, I derive a great deal of satisfaction from my life and in fact am as happy as anyone else. Of course I'm not euphoric as I am when hypomanic. There's a lot to be said for euphoria and I sometimes miss it when I've been stable for a long time.

Ahh okaay, I see. I find that illness are actually different in theory than in practice. Because there are so many questions that go unsanswered with the regular textbook writings.

That is what I was trying to find out if you can be happy without being euphoric. I'm curious, have you ever been 'off it' while on here? xD
I would never have guessed you had bipolar untill you actually mentioned it ^^

I can be moody sometimes, but it's VERY rare that I "snap."

When I do, though... man it feels good. It also scares the shit out of everyone around me.

Ahh okaay, I see. I find that illness are actually different in theory than in practice. Because there are so many questions that go unsanswered with the regular textbook writings.

That is what I was trying to find out if you can be happy without being euphoric. I'm curious, have you ever been 'off it' while on here? xD
I would never have guessed you had bipolar untill you actually mentioned it ^^

If by "off it," you mean off my meds, then no, I'm religious about taking them. If you mean not euphoric, yes; I've been pretty stable during my sojourn here, which means I have the usual ups and downs most people experience in life but not the highs and lows associated with the illness. I've been a little "flat" emotionally the last couple days, which can sometimes presage a depression, but I'm hoping it's nothing major because I will probably stay away during a major episode and I like it here.

If by "off it," you mean off my meds, then no, I'm religious about taking them. If you mean not euphoric, yes; I've been pretty stable during my sojourn here, which means I have the usual ups and downs most people experience in life but not the highs and lows associated with the illness. I've been a little "flat" emotionally the last couple days, which can sometimes presage a depression, but I'm hoping it's nothing major because I will probably stay away during a major episode and I like it here.

Ohh please don't leave if that happens. Isn't there anything you can do to prevent it from comming? Good that you take your medicine as directed too, because it is better to be more balanced rather than go from the high to a crash. I have even heard that the 'mania' part resembles the effect of amphetamine use and the depressive side, the crash that comes from it. This is why often people are mistaken to be on drugs who have bipolar.

So very well put:
I have the usual ups and downs most people experience in life but not the highs and lows associated with the illness.

We seem more prone to it then other types. These short burst of wrath usually only show themselves when someone looks for them IMO. Everytime I've done it, I'm usaully trying to restrain it, but party two always does something to dig a even bigger grave for him/herself.

I'll admit though I sure feel better after doing it.
It works for me. It allows me to express precisely the little things that are bothering me. I can't say I've ever had a negative experience from snapping, as i'm pretty good at controlling it. I usually do it if a person is *clearly* out of line and/or trying to dominate me in some way. They end up regretting it, and I come out a little better for the wear.

When I 'mini snap' people usually take it quite well -- and knock off whatever they're doing. Most people have enough sense not to provoke me -- in fact my INTP friend will deliberately avoid teasing me (I promise to take some of it in good humor!) because he's really good at sensing annoyance.

Last edited:
I'm always in control.... :m106:

Ohh please don't leave if that happens. Isn't there anything you can do to prevent it from comming? Good that you take your medicine as directed too, because it is better to be more balanced rather than go from the high to a crash. I have even heard that the 'mania' part resembles the effect of amphetamine use and the depressive side, the crash that comes from it. This is why often people are mistaken to be on drugs who have bipolar.

So very well put:

If there was something I knew to do to ward off a mood, believe me I'd do it. All I know is to try to eat regularly, try to get sufficient sleep and avoid stress, but that doesn't always work. Mostly I just have to ride them out, picking my priorities in terms of where I choose to spend what energy I have. Manias can be as dark as depression, with a lot of ranting rages, which is why I wouldn't come here when in one. That, and I can't shut up. Ah, the vagaries of mood disorder.

If there was something I knew to do to ward off a mood, believe me I'd do it. All I know is to try to eat regularly, try to get sufficient sleep and avoid stress, but that doesn't always work. Mostly I just have to ride them out, picking my priorities in terms of where I choose to spend what energy I have. Manias can be as dark as depression, with a lot of ranting rages, which is why I wouldn't come here when in one. That, and I can't shut up. Ah, the vagaries of mood disorder.

The mind and body are outstanding sometimes. Although I cannot really understand what it is like when the body lives its own life. Like no matter what you do, think, feel or choose, nothing will help. I probably will never really understand what that is like. Although I can imagine and I deeply admire you for it. However when you do come up with a trick, I would love to hear it, Anica ^^. Also if you feel that going over this, has a bad effect on you, don't hesitate on snapping me of. Although keep in mind that I would never mean to cause harm or steer things up.

OH HELL YA.. Man when we finally get our voice look out!! I used to be afraid of my anger and try to keep it bottled up all the time. Now I just let it flow and try to understand why I get angry in the first place. One thing that has helped me a lot is telling myself that I should not get angry about things that have already happened. And all I can really do after they happen is try to fix it and move forward.

We seem more prone to it then other types. These short burst of wrath usually only show themselves when someone looks for them IMO. Everytime I've done it, I'm usaully trying to restrain it, but party two always does something to dig a even bigger grave for him/herself.

I'll admit though I sure feel better after doing it.

Yes I know this. I'm trying hard to control it. But I'm having a hard time. I know many can relate that things just boil over and you can't just keep them inside.

Whats worse is I've noticed people tend to be less expecting of this because they this as losing control or not part of who we are.

I've seen that if you often out there and always just on the outside people don't react as badly to such outbursts.

I'm struggling and not succeeding in finding a better outlet for these feelings.

I don't know about others but I hate how others can just dump on you and they get upset when you tear back into them.

I'm proud of it but I grew up with a mom who would explode. I have sadly tend to make things physical, getting in someones face. I know it doesn't help but its hard not to do.

Fascinating to see all the perspectives. I actually used to have a "Donald Duck" temper, to quote my mother and grandmother. It got really bad around puberty and then through High School, but then again who doesn't feel moody and angry in High School?

That all changed when I went away from home for the first time. I did a great job of turning into a human doormat (all in the name of not angering my roommates and associates). Man, it was a long time before I realized that it was okay to get angry when somebody tried to screw me over, and that the best way to fight back was to use my "INFJ Rage" to completely cut the legs out from under them. Heck, I've even learned to do it with a smile! :m179:

I "snap" maybe twice a year. It's very rare for me.
aye, same here.

I, too, snapped a lot during high school. Everyone was afraid of me, including apparently my ex-girlfriend. Those were strange times...

Last edited:
The way I am defining 'snap' is: A loss of control of emotions that end in 'negative' choices or worse, no choices at all.

With this definition I have recently just snapped. I see no point to carrying on life for the box I have been put on is so confined. I would have previously related when I 'snapped' as angry outbursts, but right now I am feeling almost no anger and rarely am I emotionally entertained with anything that another person says or does. When someone does me wrong I question if it really is wrong and do nothing about it. I literally do nothing all day if not wasting my time making observations and trying to figure out the meaning of all of this feelinglessness. I have random, unexplained outbursts of fear [ such as fear for my future, fear that what I'm doing isn't going to work and fear that my fears are defeating me regardless.] which result in repeated phrases of 'I'm just crazy. I'm just crazy.' or tears that suddenly cease when I focus my attention on something else.

How is that for snapping?