Sleep Issues | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Sleep Issues

Ya for insomina! Can't sleep. It's what..10 am now! Fun fun.

Ya for insomina! Can't sleep. It's what..10 am now! Fun fun.

Is your schedule such that you normally need to sleep at 10 am? That might be half the problem right there...

I've had insomnia in the past due to anxiety, and the two things that helped me deal with it were (corny) relaxation/self-hypnosis tapes, and Valerian tea. Valerian is the herb they use to make Valium, and it stinks to high heaven, but a couple of cups of strong Valerian tea before you need to sleep will relax you quite well without side effects. It does me, anyway! You should probably check with a doctor first, though, I'm not 100% certain that it's safe for everyone.

P.S. staring at a computer screen is not good for sleep because the light from it stimulates your brain to be awake. Try to keep your environment dark. Fans are good too, very relaxing!

Last edited:
Is your schedule such that you normally need to sleep at 10 am? That might be half the problem right there...

I've had insomnia in the past due to anxiety, and the two things that helped me deal with it were (corny) relaxation/self-hypnosis tapes, and Valerian tea. Valerian is the herb they use to make Valium, and it stinks to high heaven, but a couple of cups of strong Valerian tea before you need to sleep will relax you quite well without side effects. It does me, anyway! You should probably check with a doctor first, though, I'm not 100% certain that it's safe for everyone.

P.S. staring at a computer screen is not good for sleep because the light from it stimulates your brain to be awake. Try to keep your environment dark. Fans are good too, very relaxing!

Actually, I got 'tired' at 7 but I couldn't fall asleep and I passed the point in which I could fall asleep since I just decided to stay up. Seeing as I have no particular schedule at the moment, I just go to sleep whenever I'm tired.

I'll look into it! And yes, I know about the dangers of blue light that exists in T.Vs, labtops, and such. That's actually why I tend to sit in the dark or with the lamp on when it gets dark out.

I feel your pain right here..I been trying to take random naps..but each time I was unable to shut down my eyes and loose my stream of consciousness..then I will wake up and sit in the computer..

Exercise and Cold showers usually do the trick for me..
it has not work though.

Actually, I got 'tired' at 7 but I couldn't fall asleep and I passed the point in which I could fall asleep since I just decided to stay up. Seeing as I have no particular schedule at the moment, I just go to sleep whenever I'm tired.

I'll look into it! And yes, I know about the dangers of blue light that exists in T.Vs, labtops, and such. That's actually why I tend to sit in the dark or with the lamp on when it gets dark out.

You know, this might be the J in me talking, but a schedule or at least a set bedtime routine would help a lot, too, I think.

I speak from the experience of trying to get two little boys to sleep peacefully when they need to: schedules and routines and habits and ritual pack a punch because they are unconcious -- they signal us "Now it is time to sleep." in ways the concious mind cannot do. I'm sure you do not need to have a bedtime story read to you or be given a sippy cup full of ice water, and a back rub, but you can have your own routine that works for you. :D

Did you mean you got sleepy at 7am or 7pm?

Last edited:
You know, this might be the J in me talking, but a schedule or at least a set bedtime routine would help a lot, too, I think.

I speak from the experience of trying to get two little boys to sleep peacefully when they need to: schedules and routines and habits and ritual pack a punch because they are unconcious -- they signal us "Now it is time to sleep." in ways the concious mind cannot do. I'm sure you do not need to have a bedtime story read to you or be given a sippy cup full of ice water, and a back rub, but you can have your own routine that works for you. :D

Did you mean you got sleepy at 7am or 7pm?

Scientifically speaking, our bodies are set to adjust themselves. If I truly cared deeply about sleeping, I'd simply just turn off all the T.Vs and electronics at five but..alas...I like some modern conveniences. And hey, that doesn't sound half bad. You never out grow a back rub and a decent story (I prefer something more adult than a sippy cup though...)

I mean 7 am.

Once you are in bed don't look at the clock. Ever.

Don't drink caffeine after 2pm

Make any pictures you have going through your head small, dark and boring

Make any internal dialogue you have quiet, slow and monotonous

You can imagine yourself sat in a room with some friends. imagine some weights attached to your eyelids that are making them heavier and heavier so the slowly begin to close.

Pretend to fight it and you'll begin to notice a feeling of tiredness.

Imagine looking around your group of friends and they are all getting comfortable, resting their heads on the side of the chairs. You sit in the same position, resting your head because it's so heavy. One of them yawns, then another yawns and closes their eyes. one by one they all begin to drift off

Ok, how many of you yawned whilst reading that?

Last edited:
Once you are in bed don't look at the clock. Ever.

Don't drink caffeine after 2pm

Make any pictures in you have going through your head small, dark and boring

Make any internal dialogue you have quiet, slow and monotonous

You can imagine yourself sat in a room with some friends. imagine some weights attached to your eyelids that are making them heavier and heavier so the slowly begin to close.

Pretend to fight it and you'll begin to notice a feeling of tiredness.

Imagine looking around your group of friends and they are all getting comfortable, resting their heads on the side of the chairs. You sit in the same position, resting your head because it's so heavy. One of them yawns, then another yawns and closes their eyes. one by one they all begin to drift off

Ok, how many of you yawned whilst reading that?

I'll do that! And I didn't yawn, I read the first three sentences, jumped to the last line, and then keep reading with the intention of not yawning!

Thats cheating

I yawned whilst writing it!

Thats cheating

I yawned whilst writing it!

It's not cheating, it's just using optimal post reading methods!

(This is similar to the old adage "It's not cheating, I'm just using my resources" )

((I doubt that I needed to make that reference but..if it makes ya lol, it's worth it))

I lol'd myself

I didn't Lol, I yawned.

I think I messed up the steps in there somewhere...

I hate that sleep paralysis shit. I usually get it once or twice a month.

I have major sleep issues. Don't do what I have done and become dependent on sleeping pills (for over 10 years WOW), they hardly work half of the time.

If I'm laying in bed and can't fall asleep, my Dr. says to get up and do something for 15 minutes and then try going back to bed. It doesn't work for me but maybe for you?!!!

I sleep best with the a/c on and COLD sheets, god how I love me some cold sheets!!!