Si in Feelers vs Thinkers | INFJ Forum

Si in Feelers vs Thinkers

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by Alan, Feb 15, 2010.

Share This Page

More threads by Alan
  1. Alan

    Alan Newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2010
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    enfp
    Me and my friend were having a discussion. He had recently taken the cognitive functions test. He had learned that his third highest used function is Si, but he's also a feeler - INFJ to be exact. Our other friend who is an ISTJ, also has strong Si and we have seen that they seem to project in a different way.

    Feeler related how when he was driving down a specific street, he had intense reliving of memories and emotions felt based on those times that he experienced those things on that street. His lack of Se didn't recognize static facts though, he didn't notice the bread shop that turned into the wine shop because he had never had an emotional or personally invested experience there, even though he knew at the time there was something there, it just doesn't seem to be a priority.

    Thinker has a similar function but for factual trivia as well as the physical. Less based in emotion and more based on facts, that used to be a dunkin donuts, that used to be Jacobys, thats where the mayor gave his speech.



    Is this an accurate representation of Si?


    Billy/Alan
    Collaboration.
     
  2. Morgain

    Morgain defective wisdom
    Donor

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2009
    Threads:
    114
    Messages:
    2,721
    Likes Received:
    467
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ again
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    If your friend has Si as his third highest used function than he is not an INFJ becuase INFJ's don't have Si in there top 4 functions, they have Se as there 4th function. So he is INFJ and uses Si as is last function or he is INFP


    i'm not an Si specialist so I can't give a good answer to your question :D but I'm INFP and use Si as my third function and this description is exactly they way I would use it. My memories are feeling based and I wouldn't see that the bread shop has turned into a wine shop at all, I don't care. I would only care if I really love the bread shop :becky:

    but beside that, I thought Si was also about the known, routine, etc. In that whay normaly I don't like routine very much and am always searching for something new and for improvements but when I'm stressed I like routine more because it is safe and I know how to react then. It also seems like I'm good at Si then but it is ultimately unreliable. I thought that this was due to the fact that Si is my third function and that position stands for "child position - comfort zone"

    just my thoughts, I hope it is useful!

    how do you use Si Alan? If you are ENFP than it is your 4th function
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 Morgain, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  3. crystaluni

    crystaluni Community Member

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2009
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    138
    Likes Received:
    17
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    xNxx
    Enneagram:
    549
    An interesting topic.

    I'm registering as an INFP on the MBTI tests right now, and I did notice that I predominantly use Si in nostalgia mode rather than to simply retell facts or trivia or to focus on descriptions of physical impressions or sensations.
     
    #3 crystaluni, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  4. Billy

    Billy Contents Under Pressure
    Donor

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2009
    Threads:
    95
    Messages:
    4,826
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1,249
    Trophy Points:
    381
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    CT
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    ....
    That's not true morgain, if you go ni, fe, si, ti, for example you would still call that an infj. Infps don't use ni, fe. I would say any introvert who uses ni as thier dominant function and fe as thier judging function is an infj, byvdefinition. Doesn't matter what order the remainng functions line up in, they move around all the time.
     
  5. Raccoon Love

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2009
    Threads:
    310
    Messages:
    5,413
    Likes Received:
    703
    Trophy Points:
    657
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    The first and second functions can also vary, I seen INFJ results with a Fe>Ni results which will technically make them ENFJ but they still score INFJ.
     
  6. Billy

    Billy Contents Under Pressure
    Donor

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2009
    Threads:
    95
    Messages:
    4,826
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1,249
    Trophy Points:
    381
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    CT
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    ....
    I dont think you can be an INFJ and be primary Fe, that's coming from a totally different direction from what I understand about myself as an INFJ. I have oodles of Fe, but that's my judging attribute, that's how I see the world. If that was my primary mode of thinking, i don't think I would be who I am.

    Every test I have ever taken I have always come up strong Ni, followed by weaker Fe, followed by everything else, but the Ni, Fe thing never changes, the rest do in their order, but not in their total order, for example Te, Se, Ne Fi for me always come last over Ni, Fe, Ti, and Si. Ti and Si for me change around often.
     
  7. Morgain

    Morgain defective wisdom
    Donor

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2009
    Threads:
    114
    Messages:
    2,721
    Likes Received:
    467
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ again
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    It depends on how you look at it. If I imply your theory what type whould I be? I'm Fi dominant with Ni as my highest perceiving function.

    an other way to look at it is to take your type and the order of the functions according to that type, no matter how high your scores in each of them. And then look at the positions of the functions (like the dominant function is in hero position, the sixed is the senex position and so on) and then see how high your score is on each function relating to the position of the function. For instance I'm INFP with an Fe that has the 4th highest score. So instead of saying that it is my 4th function I can say, for INFP this function is in the 5the position. This is the "oposing position" what means that I use Fe in a rather negative way, and that is also the way I feel it.

    but this is a bit of topic I think
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. IndigoSensor

    IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    Threads:
    762
    Messages:
    14,154
    Likes Received:
    1,297
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    Out of all my functions, Si is my second highest. I use Si because I have found a high level of use in it. It allows me to think more thouroughly, and make less mistakes. Si focuses on the details, and of the past. As I have found these can tell you a lot and help in learning, I use it. Si has been with me since a child though. It tends to make me look like I am always lost in deep thought, or look upset/tired. As it is a very internal function.

    In feelers it tends to make them focus on people, a lot. They are always watching people and trying to make sense of them. This is like some N types, but it is different in that they often care to pay attention to what they do, more so then what they think. They put people up to standards internally created, and base what they think of the person off of these standards.

    In thinkers, it tends to make them have a very regimented systematic way of approaching everything. Everything has a plan, everything has a specefic way something is to be done, and it will be done that way no matter what. It is less people focused and more focused on getting things done.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. BlinkandThink

    BlinkandThink Community Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2009
    Threads:
    17
    Messages:
    699
    Likes Received:
    67
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    FREE
    Enneagram:
    7w6
    My Si is crap.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Peppermint

    Peppermint Well-known member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2009
    Threads:
    28
    Messages:
    4,017
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    9,956
    Trophy Points:
    887
    MBTI:
    uwot
    Enneagram:
    _
    I have to point out that if you *are* an INFJ, that is most likely Ti what you're experiencing(esp.bolded). It doesn't make sense for an INFJ to have both Ni and Si, because these two have the same basic mechanism and function, the difference being that Ni creates your personal vision of how things should be in the future, and Si focuses on preserving the state of how things always used to be.

    Furthermore, Ti also has a focus on details.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. IndigoSensor

    IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    Threads:
    762
    Messages:
    14,154
    Likes Received:
    1,297
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    I do both. The best way I can describe it is that both Si and Ni have their hands on one switch, and change it from one to the other depending on what is going on.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Loading...

Share This Page