Seeking Manga Master Advice

dneecey

I am who I am.
Apr 17, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Hi. I just finished the Claymore manga up until the end of this months edition. I have to say that I am thoroughly hooked and utterly in love. This is the very first manga I have ever read and I am desperately looking for something else Claymoresque or at least pretty good. I was told Full Metal Alchemist is good and Inuyasha. But I am open to all suggestions.

I like the supernatural, medieval feel stuff and just want to keep reading. :)

I appreciate the advice.

Hi. I just finished the Claymore manga up until the end of this months edition. I have to say that I am thoroughly hooked and utterly in love. This is the very first manga I have ever read and I am desperately looking for something else Claymoresque or at least pretty good. I was told Full Metal Alchemist is good and Inuyasha. But I am open to all suggestions.

I like the supernatural, medieval feel stuff and just want to keep reading. :)

I appreciate the advice.

Spernatural, medieval stuff sounds great, but what is the Claymore manga? Never heard of it, but it sounds a worthy read.

Oh Anica. I think you will love it if you look into it. I must tell you however, that after reading it up until now you will have to suffer like the rest of us, lying in wait for a new edition every month. From what I understand however they keep coming every month like clockwork. :)

Well, patience isn't my strong suit,, but I'm willing to risk it. Where can I find these things?

Here is a good link to reading manga online. :) http://www.onemanga.com/
Now, I just need to know which I should read next. :)

I also heard Elfen Lied might be good? Anyone?

Elfin lied is awesome! Although I must admit I've only seen the anime. I imagine the manga would be equally or better though.

I can make a list of shonen manga that you might like :)

-Blade of the Immortal
-Immortal Rain
-Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicle
-07 Ghost
-Trinity Blood
-Code Geass (I recommend the anime more than the manga)
-Soul Eater

If you're interested in alternate genres:

-Ouran High School Host Club
- XXXHolic
-Clannad
-Kanon
-Air
-Lucky Star
-Hetalia Axis Powers

I very highly recommend Berserk. It's one of the longest-running (and by far one of the best) manga series in the U.S. (the other longest-running one being Oh My Goddess!, which is another one of my favorites, though that's a much lighter read), and is also an 'adult' series, so the violence is very brutal and detailed (Visually, the series is pretty much unrivaled by any other, especially in the more recent volumes.). It's much darker than any of these other ones, and is more like fantasy/horror with occult themes, and a heavy [late-period] medieval influence....definitely not for the weak of heart. So far there are 30 volumes in English. The anime series was very well done too, though the parts of the story it covers ends rather abruptly since there was supposed to be a second season, but it got cancelled. It's still worth watching, though.

Last edited:
Oooh, manga! Let's see, laurie has quite a nice list there :D I especially like Tsubasa, but then anything by Clamp is good...Fullmetal Alchemist is also a good series, and it's not too long compared to some other ones.

A few others I like: Sayuki, Peacemaker, Qwan...for the more medieval feel, although they're set in Asia...M

I recommend D-Gray Man! It's a supernatural shounen series, although I almost don't want to put it in the same vein as Bleach or Naruto. It's a bit darker but in no way as dark as Claymore.

Claymore is like the softcore version of Beserk haha. look it up, althought its quite a step-up in the violence/sex category ive only read the manga, so im not sure about the anime of it

*edit* sorry i just realised Eric already mentioned Beserk.
might as well state some other animes~
-Wolfs Rain
-Cowboy Bebop
-Hunter X hunter

Last edited:
The Berserk anime is just as violent, but there's very little sex in it, just a couple short parts which could hardly even be considered sex scenes to begin with.

:m159: Oh goodie! I'm having a hard time finding something that captures my attention like Claymore did. But I'm going to look into Berserk. I've had a few recommendations for it. Thanks to everyone for the advice. :D

Hm.. I have a few suggestions:

- Shutterbox
- Innocent W (though, it's a bit gorey; it's about witches though and a sort of medievil feel to it. At least I thought so.)

If you want some more wider reading:
- Gravitation ( If you're into Yaoi >W<)
- Death Note
- Fruits Basket
- Pita Ten
- Uzumaki/Spiral
- Bleach (So much better in the manga)
- Naruto (ditto)
- Kingdom Hearts
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Lucky Star
- One Piece

Hope that helps. ^^

supernatural and medieval are Inuyasha's definition

somes that I like:
hellsing, trinity blood, death note, vampire knight, D gray man, Naruto (though the manga is endless), FLCL, fullmetal alchemist and fruits basket.

What happened to Sailor Moon?!!It's a CLASSIC!!!!!

Hells to the yeah! Or good, reliable Dragonball Z

As stated earlier, I think D.Gray-man would be up your alley. Its not quite medieval, more of a 19th century-ish steampunk feel. But it has action, and has a supernatural aspect (kinda) as well. Also, Soul Eater.

Now, people tend to disagree, but One Piece is truly a good series. Being exposed t the 4kids dub, I initially had my doubts, but it is an awesome show and manga. The art in the manga is unique and astounding at times.

Yotsuba is a good manga, but it's more of a lighthearted comedy. It's actually heartwarming at times, and even though it is an all-ages manga it can be enjoyed by a broad audience. There won't be an anime for this, the author requested there not be. By the same author I may suggest Azumanga Daioh. It's a slice of life comedy set in highschool centering around a group of friends. Again, not really pertaining to your interests. A thing to note about this series is that the humor is hit or miss. You either like this series, or you don't. There is both an anime and a manga for this.

Yu Yu Hakusho is a supernatural/action series. This is a good read actually.

I have lots more in store, but the series just aren't coming to mind. Hahaha. I'll post again if it hits me.

Well thank you so much for your advice. I wanted to jump right into one after finishing Claymore because of how it captivated me, but then I decided to wait a couple of days to let myself give my new read a clean slate so to speak. I didn't want my thoughts on it to be clouded by Claymore... so I think today will be a good day to do a little two to five page research, on a few of the manga suggested here. You are all so awesome in general, and I truly appreciate your help. :)

So! I decided to go in a complete opposite way of Claymore and read Fruits Basket! I must say I am once again in love. :D It's just so freaking adorable and sweet and I just feel all happy reading it. Thanks for the recommendations. It gives me more to read. *happy sigh*