Romantic Drive | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Romantic Drive

What is your romantic drive?

• Total voters
Nah, I didn't see any gloating. To me, it makes perfect sense that NT (as a stereotype) might be more predisposed to monogamy. My reasoning wouldn't be very scientific, however.

I thought the distinction between extroverts and introverts in matters of romance was interesting. Perhaps I do lean more toward extroversion after all.

Last edited:
I don't see that as oxymoronic at all. Far from it.

Aspirational Fe typically means that emotions are focused on very few individuals (possibly even only a single person), but when they exist they are of an extremely rare intensity and purity.

I am a strong INTP, and I'm not sure I know anyone more romantic than myself. I know I'm more romantic than my INFP mother, and way more romantic than my INTJ father or especially my (ISFJ?) sister. When I finally expressed my feelings to my (unrequited) first love (and now, years later, good friend), an INFJ, I got the impression that she may consider me more sensitive and romantic than she is.

In general, introverts desire more intimacy than extroverts. In the Eysenck model, introverts are those with high default levels of cortical arousal, and extroverts low levels. The Yerkes-Dodson law shows that humans (and other animals too, I think) are more comfortable and productive under moderate arousal/stress. (Well, technically, over-stressing causes no detriment in accomplishing extremely simple tasks, but those are rare in the real world). Social interaction of any kind can be a significant stressor, but strangers cause far more cortical arousal than close friends. Everyone needs and craves some social interaction, but strong introverts need to limit this to a few intimate friends rather than large groups of acquaintances in order to avoid the sort of stress on which extroverts thrive.

I'd guess that romance is also strongly correlated with Intuition (of either attitude) and Extroverted Feeling. There is some Introverted Sensing correlation too, especially when it comes to reminiscing about meaningful events in a couple's past and recalling how one felt but also when it comes to cliches like bringing flowers and chocolates. I think it may be my strong Tertiary Si and corresponding nearly eidetic memory of emotionally resonant events that can give me a romantic edge over an INFJ. A highly stressed INTP would tend to shift towards the use of Si and Fe, making him more conventially demonstratives of love if he has a partner to whom to show it, making hard times more likely to bring a couple closer together instead of tearing them apart.

I've read before that while NFs (especially INFJs) tend to be the most loyal and committed to their current relationships, NTs (especially INTPs) tend to be the most loyal over the course fo a lifetime, and have the hardest type abandoning a lost love. NFs tend towards serial monogamy; NTs, true monogamy. I also read a study showing many traits associated with Intuition to be strongly correlated with a desire for monogamy in men, but there was no correlation among women. It claimed the lack of the trend in women is because society teaches women to be just as mongamous, but I wonder if it might also be because most N women are NFs instead of NTs.

Not that I put much faith in Enneagrams, but INTPs are typically 5w4s in that system, and 4 is strongly associated with romance.

I didnt see gloating either....I think it is neat and it rings true for the INTPs that I know in RL.

Well I guess I just have a problem with How many NT's specially xNTP's approach romantic love. But that ties in with the NT mentality as a whole.

:hug::hug:
Well I guess I just have a problem with How many NT's specially xNTP's approach romantic love. But that ties in with the NT mentality as a whole.

LOL, Bandit, have you ever heard that old song "She Blinded Me With Science?"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fI8834iCgo"]YouTube- Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science[/ame]

Yeah... all that might not be everyone's cup of tea, and it can come across as a bit clinical, but it can be sort of touching in a weird way.

:hug::hug:

LOL, Bandit, have you ever heard that old song "She Blinded Me With Science?"

YouTube- Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science

Yeah... all that might not be everyone's cup of tea, and it can come across as a bit clinical, but it can be sort of touching in a weird way.

Wow that was different.lol

But knowing my life I'm going to get stuck with some (ENTJ/ESTJ) women who dominates me and crushes my little INFJ soul.lol All while telling me how worthless I am. Yup thats going to be me.lol

Last edited:
Reactions: sassafras
Wow that was different.lol

But knowing my like I'm going to get stuck with some (ENTJ/ESTJ) women who dominates me and crushes my little INFJ soul.lol All while telling me how worthless I am. Yup thats going to be me.lol

No, no, no NO... you are much stronger than you think, and if anyone's going to do any soul-crushing around here, (which they shouldn't) it will be you. Nobody had better tell you how worthless you are, that's ridiculous and untrue.

No, no, no NO... you are much stronger than you think, and if anyone's going to do any soul-crushing around here, (which they shouldn't) it will be you. Nobody had better tell you how worthless you are, that's ridiculous and untrue.

aww thanks Janet *hugs*

And no I don't do soul crushing. it so messy you get soul everywhere!

Also I had another thought. Maybe my romantic drive is very high and not just high. Because for me it seems to be a need to have a happy life. Not just a bonus. Hmmm