Romantic Attraction Turn Offs | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Romantic Attraction Turn Offs

I was never attracted to men who attracted many women. I was never into competition or feelings of jealousy. I dated both introverts and extroverts before marriage, but what I found is that I always felt a more secure or healthy bond with men who were introverts ... and so I married one. I was never attracted to anyone I felt I had to "chase." I could never be with someone who was unkind to others or lacks general social respect (like giving up their chair for someone elderly) and etiquette. I could never be with anyone who has an excuse for everything, there is integrity in taking responsibility for their own actions ... INCLUDING failure in previous relationships. Good hygiene I believe is also a part of social etiquette, but I never liked "pretty-boys" or metrosexuals. I always tended to be attracted to men who were a bit "nerdy" or they possessed a familiar look genetically ... such as German or Eastern European. I would never give a second glance to a smoker (drug or alcohol addict.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Annabreher
I'm turned off by women who spend too much time on their looks. There's nothing wrong with wanting to look good but women who wear loads of make-up and tan their bodies to a crisp end up looking like some ghoulish carnival freak. They're usually the sort of person who's vain and shallow and don't want to talk about anything more serious than celebrity gossip.

This. I've seen plenty of women who wear too much eye make up and I really, really want to tell them they would look great with less, or even none; but that always seems it would come off rude. I also don't care for sports talk or celebrity gossip.

Women who are "mannish"; like to constantly frequent bars and outdrink their group, spit on the sidewalk or are sloppy/poor hygiene. Cigarette smoking, lack of self control, closed mindedness.

I was never attracted to men who attracted many women. I was never into competition or feelings of jealousy. I dated both introverts and extroverts before marriage, but what I found is that I always felt a more secure or healthy bond with men who were introverts ... and so I married one. I was never attracted to anyone I felt I had to "chase."

yeah, unfortunately I realized late not to chase after these more popular men. I was clearly misguided. :D On the other hand, I've also felt that I couldn't be with someone who was too popular or outgoing because I don't want to have to fight for their attention or find myself feeling jealous if they interacted with many people.

Last edited:
I'm picky about a few things, but cigarette breath/ashtray mouth is at the top of the no-go list. It just physically repulses me and ends all attraction. If someone likes me that much, they can prove it by giving up smoking. Yup. :smile:

So, you say you would never feel attracted to a smoking man?... No matter what?..

Tough choice. What addictive qualities can you bring to the table? ;P

My wonderful personality should suffice. :m105:

So, you say you would never feel attracted to a smoking man?... No matter what?..

I might be attracted from a distance, but it would not go any further than that. How can you be attracted to someone whose habits make you want to puke, literally? That is the effect cigarette smoke has on me and I don't apologise for it.

Same goes for friends, sadly.

I'm turned off by women who do not like children. Or who are needlessly mean to people they have power over. And women who have a pre-set idea of what a "real man" is. The phrase "real man" is so incredibly misandrist, its disgusting that so many women and people use it today.

Reactions: Jill Hives
Religious
Racist
Nationalist, intensely patriotic
Intensely traditional and conservative
Sexist
Homophobic
Douchebags
Drunkards
Bar flies
Party animals
Hyper
Sleaziness
Domineering
Intensely competitive/
Enjoys putting people down often, for personal entertainment
Controlling
Hates animals
Elitist
Narcissistic/egoist/intensely smug
Dishonest
Intensely exploitative and opportunistic
Irresponsible/unaccountable
Intensely hateful and negative about majority of things
Intensely paranoid socially and sees conspiracies everywhere at large, overly suspicious of everything
Unreasonable
Intensely sentimental/intensely sensitive to offense
Deluded/prone to patterns of thinking and beliefs that don't hold up to scrutiny and evidence
Judgmental/has unrealistic expectations of people/requires and forces people to fulfill whatever role he thinks is appropriate
Overly keen on forcing people into his mold of belief, thinking, behavior.
Irresponsible and use of dangerous drugs
Violent/intensely forceful/unpredictable
Intense mood swings
Obesity/bad teeth/very pronounced skin problems (eg. acne)/excessive hairness
Noticeably poor personal hygiene
Promiscuity and high risk sexual behavior
Previous pattern of infidelity
General intolerance
Intense desire for children (with me)

Reactions: barbad0s
[MENTION=751]Peppermint[/MENTION]... Wow, that must be tough :D

Religious
Racist
Nationalist, intensely patriotic
Intensely traditional and conservative
Sexist
Homophobic
Douchebags
Drunkards
Bar flies
Party animals
Hyper
Sleaziness
Domineering
Intensely competitive/
Enjoys putting people down often, for personal entertainment
Controlling
Hates animals
Elitist
Narcissistic/egoist/intensely smug
Dishonest
Intensely exploitative and opportunistic
Irresponsible/unaccountable
Intensely hateful and negative about majority of things
Intensely paranoid socially and sees conspiracies everywhere at large, overly suspicious of everything
Unreasonable
Intensely sentimental/intensely sensitive to offense
Deluded/prone to patterns of thinking and beliefs that don't hold up to scrutiny and evidence
Judgmental/has unrealistic expectations of people/requires and forces people to fulfill whatever role he thinks is appropriate
Overly keen on forcing people into his mold of belief, thinking, behavior.
Irresponsible and use of dangerous drugs
Violent/intensely forceful/unpredictable
Intense mood swings
Obesity/bad teeth/very pronounced skin problems (eg. acne)/excessive hairness
Noticeably poor personal hygiene
Promiscuity and high risk sexual behavior
Previous pattern of infidelity
General intolerance
Intense desire for children (with me)

Haha! You know EXACTLY what you don't like! I think that is great! :)

There's like 100 people in the world that you can date. And one of them is mine.

Heh, I don't think so, maybe a 100 in a given city, people are diverse, so it can't be that many in the whole world. Most of the turn off listed are turn offs in the extreme, which is why I said "intensely"

I was trying to find something on Peppermint's list that was unreasonable, but I didn't.
Well done.

Mine:

-hates the outdoors/hiking/nature/being a little dirty/sweaty/uncomfortable
-actively expects presents, compliments, etc. while offering very little in return.
-is enthusiastic about/moved by horrible music and film, and often uses an 'it's all subjective' type argument when somebody points out how horrible it is.
-is obese, borderline obese, or unable to move at a reasonable pace… while also being too proud and therefore unwilling to do anything about it.
-has a higher salary than I do but still expects me to pay for everything.
-is too cheap, doesn't like to splurge every now and then and ends up missing out because of it.
-misinterprets larger words while using them liberally.
-has a completely unrealistic sense of her own intelligence, importance, goodness, taste, style, etc.
-socially conservative/religious
-overly ambitious/success-driven (these kinds of people never really like me either).

Wow, written out like that I can see why I'm so hard to get along with. On the other hand, I am willing to overlook a lot of things that other guys wouldn't be… so I don't think it's all bad.

Reactions: 9i786r
Adult temper tantrums, men who wear nylon anything, republicans, the videogame obsessed, men who expect to be serviced, men who like and watch football or any professional sport, short men.

Reactions: Cornerstone and the
I was thinking about the things that turn me off in regards to guys who are interested in me, and the things that turn me off about guys that I had thought I might have interest in. And I realized that they were really backwards from the norm. Do any of you that find that to be true?

Like for me, I find it super unattractive when guys are forward, super flirty, or give too many complements. I don't like it if they're popular, or part of an in crowd that they feel like they need to follow or be a part of, or need to make themselves sound impressive or cool. I don't like people who think they're cool. I don't like it when guys do outrageous acts to show off their sense of humor, or make a show of themselves in general. I don't like people who are over confident. However, I feel like these are the kinds of people with these traits are often found really attractive. Is it just me?

It depends what you mean by the norm. I found a nice girl who seemed like she was within the norm, but certainly wasn't. She and I could actually carry a conversation at length. Also, she wore nice clothes that wasn't necessarily in vogue; it wasn't unstylish, either. She was focused on the conversation and just 'got' me. She wasn't stuck up or act like she was too good for me.

She didn't seem like the popular type, which is what I agree with you on. I don't like popular types generally, for romantic interest. I don't think it's a matter of popularity or unpopularity for me: it's about what their attitude is, in spite of their popularity or unpopularity.

This. I've seen plenty of women who wear too much eye make up and I really, really want to tell them they would look great with less, or even none; but that always seems it would come off rude. I also don't care for sports talk or celebrity gossip.

Women who are "mannish"; like to constantly frequent bars and outdrink their group, spit on the sidewalk or are sloppy/poor hygiene. Cigarette smoking, lack of self control, closed mindedness.

That's mannish? I would be turned off by a man that did that! :lol:

Spitting on the sidewalk isn't going to work for me! I don't care about cigarettes as long as the guy knows when and where it's appropriate. I like proper manners. No putting your feet up on the chair, even in a casual restaurant on a date. Don't be weird, just be cool come on.

I'm not sure what some of you mean by 'short' and everyone is entitled to be turned off by whatever they wish but I think some of you gals should give the short guys a shot just try it and trust me! ;) You will thank me later ;) ;)

Reactions: Cornerstone
It's called bat-wings and baby powder is good for that ... of course many men are too manly to use baby powder. :D
Why is that called bat wings?