Religion & Law | INFJ Forum

Religion & Law

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by IndigoSensor, Jun 27, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by IndigoSensor
  1. IndigoSensor

    IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    Threads:
    762
    Messages:
    14,154
    Likes Received:
    1,298
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    I don't normally make topics on these sorts of things, because they often go in circles and I just get queezy and tired of it. However this is one sticker that stands out for me that I want to see where people stand on it. I am going to quickly explain the idea, and my vent/opinion on it.

    To me, it seems completely and utterly illogical and unfair for people to register a law, based on religious contexts. One example that stick out in my mind are sequelshing the theory of evolution in the classroom. How is it right, to create a law that everyone must follow, just because you feel it is best based on your religious views, that not everyone else follows? That is completely horrid and it is the one thing in politics that will anger me. It is forcing a clearly illogical set, into a system that is supposed to be based in pure logic. For the record I have strong spiritual beliefs of my own, but when it comes to politics and making decisions throughout life, I never under any circumstances allow it to effect my judgement. The fact is not everyone agrees nor beleives in what I do, so it is wrong of me to use it as a base. I truly to the core of my being do not understand how anyone could be so cruel as to justifiy a law based off their own religious views, just because the feel it is correct. This is one of the largest (if not the largest) breech of logic and fairness that I have ever seen in my life.



    So, I want to see what everyones take on this. How can you possibly explain how it would be justified to include a law, that is based off of a religious context?

    I am also going to say this up front, don't derail this thread into a mess. I realise it has the potential to do so.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Satya and the like this.
  2. Satya

    Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Threads:
    540
    Messages:
    7,278
    Likes Received:
    547
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INXP
     
    Kgal likes this.
  3. the

    the Si master race.
    Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Threads:
    479
    Messages:
    14,389
    Featured Threads:
    9
    Likes Received:
    8,792
    Trophy Points:
    1,112
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Law is a hard concept for me to wrap my mind around. It seems to me that it is more of a strong suggestion that will change through hard work once the 'exception that makes the rule' comes to light.

    But law is basically about having everyone acting in a similar manner so I dont see what is wrong with a religious community having religious laws. If you dont like it then leave.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Flavus Aquila

    Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    Threads:
    323
    Messages:
    10,047
    Featured Threads:
    49
    Likes Received:
    5,634
    Trophy Points:
    1,102
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Australia
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:
    10000
    I have a great distaste for religion that refuses to accept scientific evidence. This distaste is amplified when it is forced, not by strength of arguement, but by political maneouvering into mis-education.

    I have no problem with the opinions of scientists (distinct from thier verifiable conclusions), such as of Dawkins concerning the value or motives for religion, being squashed. Science is not opinion.
     
  5. Skathac

    Skathac <font color=#27A601>Community Member</font>

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    215
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Can't, because every fiber of my being believes that government should be completely separated from religion. Laws should be forged with logic and tempered with compassion, with the final goal focused on the well being of all the citizens it effects. My spiritual beliefs carry a good amount of weight on how I walk my path, but it is just that...my path. I believe that no human being should consciously infringe on another human being's spiritual beliefs, be they of a strict religious adherence or not.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. OP
    IndigoSensor

    IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    Threads:
    762
    Messages:
    14,154
    Likes Received:
    1,298
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    When I saw law I mean government laws. Religious laws within a religious community is a totally different matter.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Kavalan

    Kavalan Has risen

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2009
    Threads:
    41
    Messages:
    1,478
    Likes Received:
    328
    Trophy Points:
    637
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    1W9
    what happens when those laws stray into legal matters?

    Sharia laws demanding a stoning for XYZ for example
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Flavus Aquila

    Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    Threads:
    323
    Messages:
    10,047
    Featured Threads:
    49
    Likes Received:
    5,634
    Trophy Points:
    1,102
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Australia
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:
    10000
    Generalisations might also be employed to prejudice one demographic group against another.
     
  9. OP
    IndigoSensor

    IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    Threads:
    762
    Messages:
    14,154
    Likes Received:
    1,298
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    Then the obviously need to be removed, as they are based of a religious context, as I explained in the OP.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. the

    the Si master race.
    Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Threads:
    479
    Messages:
    14,389
    Featured Threads:
    9
    Likes Received:
    8,792
    Trophy Points:
    1,112
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1

    So basically government law in lets say san franscisco where (in this hypothetical) 100% of the people happen to be athiest, if they decide that Hare Krishna worshippers who come and set up shop and should get 25 years in prison... is that not what you mean?

    It isnt like some invisible creatures are passing laws in government. Real people are doing this, if there is a large or an influential religious sect in an area then there are gonna be religiously based laws.

    For this reason I feel that to govern least is to govern best.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. OP
    IndigoSensor

    IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    Threads:
    762
    Messages:
    14,154
    Likes Received:
    1,298
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    Thats regulation of a religion itself which is a different beast. Regulation of religon should never be done. What I am saying is laws based off relgion to influence other things.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Satya

    Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Threads:
    540
    Messages:
    7,278
    Likes Received:
    547
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INXP
    If you want to get into San Fransico, then you are talking an American city. Americans are protected by the law of the land, also known as the Constitution of the United States. This document serves to protect the rights of people, and in this case, the right to freely practice religion. This is a secular law, based upon the principle of an implicit social contract. So I'm not entirely sure of the rational behind your argument as it is disproved by the reality.
     
  13. acd

    acd Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Threads:
    143
    Messages:
    15,521
    Featured Threads:
    11
    Likes Received:
    35,724
    Trophy Points:
    1,387
    Location:
    fantasy world
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    From where I stand, I am not a fan of religiously influenced laws that legislate morality, or peoples lifestyles..

    I like laws that serve to protect people from legitimate harm and afford them the freedom to do as they please so long as their actions aren't infringing upon someone else's well being.
     
    headache likes this.
  14. Norwich

    Norwich insistent
    Donor

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Threads:
    10
    Messages:
    742
    Likes Received:
    169
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    2 so/sp/sx
    ^^+1
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. bamf

    bamf Is Watching You
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2009
    Threads:
    289
    Messages:
    10,787
    Likes Received:
    1,931
    Trophy Points:
    453
    MBTI:
    Meh
    Enneagram:
    Meh
    I support laws that grant individuals freedom (whether or not freedom is something we are born with or is given is a different arguement, and not one I want to get in to here) to do as they wish, when and where they wish, when not harming someone else (again, one could argue that every action harms someone else, and I'm not going to debate that either, I mean things such as rape, murder, theft, and the such) There has to be some common morality in a society, and I don't think you can escape that. It also is highly likely to be influenced by religion.

    Take Antebellum America for example. The "Christian Gentleman" was the ideal citizen during this time period, and people were judged on their piety, purity, and moral compass. It's not an idea society in my mind, because such a vast number of people practice the same religion and more or less force their morality on people (a morality beyond the sense of murder, rape, theft) Gender roles were a highlight of the legal issues back in that time period. There are many cases of murdered women by men, but the trials didn't go as you would expect today.

    In this time period, religion was not a law, and neither was one certain religious morality required by law, but the religious morality affected the law and was prescribed to the law. When these men went to stand before court they often times had admitted to murdering the woman, however, they did not admit guilt. The judge and the jury would deliberate over whether or not the woman was partially or fully guilty for her murder. Her moral compass was brought under scrutiny, and should she be found to be promiscuous, or had she led on the man, he could be released completely innocent because her moral fiber was low and she tempted the man. If the woman's lifestyle didn't line up with the common morality of the Christian beliefs, the man would often times be set free. The defense did not have to be innocent, they merely had to prove the plaintiff to be morally questionable--morals that were Christian based.

    So after a nice rant, I think religion can influence law in a number of ways, and I think it's somewhat inescapable, but I don't particularly like it.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. the

    the Si master race.
    Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Threads:
    479
    Messages:
    14,389
    Featured Threads:
    9
    Likes Received:
    8,792
    Trophy Points:
    1,112
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I feel my hypothetical situation (not necessarily as Satya suggested is San Franscico, US) is when a law will logically and justifiably be based off a religious context. Please note, I wasnt talking about defining some religious codes or doctrines, I was talking about them making that the law of the land.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. acd

    acd Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Threads:
    143
    Messages:
    15,521
    Featured Threads:
    11
    Likes Received:
    35,724
    Trophy Points:
    1,387
    Location:
    fantasy world
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    Stop it. Just stop it.
    :eek:P
     
    #17 acd, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  18. the

    the Si master race.
    Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Threads:
    479
    Messages:
    14,389
    Featured Threads:
    9
    Likes Received:
    8,792
    Trophy Points:
    1,112
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1

    Strawman.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Loading...

Share This Page