Votes: 5 13.9%
  • C, inevitable joke answer: Xylophone

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • D, use their unlimited power to edit this poll. Xx, Lady Palpatine

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
The. Show. Must. Go. On.
Then you need to ramble about being supreme leader some more

Or you could let me have the job, I promise an end to the cruelty of the old world....

And a whole new type of cruelty under my despotic resolve :smilingimp:

Then you need to ramble about being supreme leader some more

Or you could let me have the job, I promise an end to the cruelty of the old world....

And a whole new type of cruelty under my despotic resolve :smilingimp:
tumblr_oj7x093H5I1vt3qqlo1_250.gif

@Reason With Logic Filling
@Ren

I want to explore two sub-ideas here under the umbrella of World Domination.

How powerful can a person become? Provide examples of the most and least powerful people who've ever lived to support your points.

How large can a state (polity) become before it collapses like the Roman Empire? Provide examples of successful or unsuccessful states, forms-of government, or economic systems to support your points.

Take your time.
Pretty large, provided they have an impeccable bureaucracu.
E.g.
China
Japan
Korea

Competency is the path to success.

Any nation of any political ideology can be successful, from Monarchies, Fascism, Communism to Democracy. Also of any size from Luxembourg to China.

All you need is competent people to run it.

Sadly over 50% over the world's population are not as competent as they think they are.

Democracy works best because Democracy drives people to be more competent. More passionate people who want to do well can get into positions of power easier.

But in theory any system could work, but Authoritarians usually have a vested interest in not putting the best people in positions of power, rather people who will be loyal...

Any nation of any political ideology can be successful, from Monarchies, Fascism, Communism to Democracy. Also of any size from Luxembourg to China.
But in theory any system could work, but Authoritarians usually have a vested interest in not putting the best people in positions of power, rather people who will be loyal...
This is not true. States experience selective pressures just like any organism, and they can be more or less fit to their environments as a result. For example, before the advent of brass cannons in Europe, the invulnerability of castles in war meant that smaller, decentralised polities were favoured over larger ones. After about 1453, however, cannons (which nullified the advantages of castles) enabled the rise of large, centralised nation-states ruled by the powerful 'new monarchs'. Any smaller states in this era who tried to resist had their fortifications rubbled and forcibly annexed.

This is a simple example, but similar selective pressures apply to modern states - whatever system 'works' is dictated by the contemporary political and technological environment. To believe that it's simply about some kind of vaguely defined 'competence' is wildly ignorant of the reality of the global system.

This is not true. States experience selective pressures just like any organism, and they can be more or less fit to their environments as a result. For example, before the advent of brass cannons in Europe, the invulnerability of castles in war meant that smaller, decentralised polities were favoured over larger ones. After about 1453, however, cannons (which nullified the advantages of castles) enabled the rise of large, centralised nation-states ruled by the powerful 'new monarchs'. Any smaller states in this era who tried to resist had their fortifications rubbled and forcibly annexed.

This is a simple example, but similar selective pressures apply to modern states - whatever system 'works' is dictated by the contemporary political and technological environment. To believe that it's simply about some kind of vaguely defined 'competence' is wildly ignorant of the reality of the global system.

Alright I'll grant you that one.

Its easier for certain types of state to exist due to surrounding pressures, but not impossible, just requiring an Alien Space Bats level of competency which does not exist in the real world.

I always hesistate to say anything is 'Impossible' that isn't actively against the Laws of Physics (and recent elections show the improbable is still possible...)

In a practical sense yes, there are limits but those limits are flexible depending on how good the people running the show are.

Confession:

I have my recipe book in an excel document, where I can pull which ingredients I use the most in my cooking. Then I apply the Pareto principle to get my top ingredients on a great discount and that is how I significantly keep my grocery budget under control. I have similar habits that keep my home in order.

My turn for a confession:

I feel very at home in this thread despite not being NT. It's like I can allow myself not to have a filter. Refreshing :tonguewink: