Votes: 7 19.4%
  • B, argue that NTs are the master race

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • C, inevitable joke answer: Xylophone

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • D, use their unlimited power to edit this poll. Xx, Lady Palpatine

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
I don't think so. China is fucked, you Yanks just need to keep your cool. The advent of automated manufacturing and where this technology and its expertise is right now will mean that manufacturing on US soil will become a much more viable option, and probably even cheaper than Chinese labour (if they can't develop comparable automated plants). The decisive factor will be how important it is to have manufacturing sites near to its markets (to remove the cost of shipping, &c.), which I can't predict. This might mean that manufacturing returns to the US, or even to Europe, or... China's middle class continues to grow, and the sheer scale of this market consumes all in its path, making it more efficient to have American plants built with American technology and expertise on Chinese soil producing for the Chinese market.
Interesting.

Maybe the manufacturing sector will be a larger part of the American and Chinese economies but I don't think China is fucked. After all, their economy is more malleable than their American counterparts. If I recall, the majority of their economy is state-owned.

Interesting.

Maybe the manufacturing sector will be a larger part of the American and Chinese economies but I don't think China is fucked. After all, their economy is more malleable than their American counterparts. If I recall, the majority of their economy is state-owned.
Yeah that was hyperbole on my part - I meant in terms of the balance of global trade.

The thing with China is that they're so huge that economic isolation for them and their client states (in e.g. Africa) wouldn't be a bad strategy (unlike Russia), so yeah you're right - they have a lot of redundancy, growth inertia, control and 'mass' to be able to survive some serious shocks.

The thing is, they're already using some of their structural control to keep things ticking over, by continuing dead projects/&c. which generally get referred to as 'ghost cities/whatever' in Western media. There are scores of public Chinese workers literally going to work every day to do... nothing. They're deep into a vast Keynesian hole right now and this is a structural weakness that's only growing as far as I've seen (though I'm no Sinologist).

Reactions: Pin
Yeah that was hyperbole on my part - I meant in terms of the balance of global trade.

The thing with China is that they're so huge that economic isolation for them and their client states (in e.g. Africa) wouldn't be a bad strategy (unlike Russia), so yeah you're right - they have a lot of redundancy, growth inertia, control and 'mass' to be able to survive some serious shocks.

The thing is, they're already using some of their structural control to keep things ticking over, by continuing dead projects/&c. which generally get referred to as 'ghost cities/whatever' in Western media. There are scores of public Chinese workers literally going to work every day to do... nothing. They're deep into a vast Keynesian hole right now and this is a structural weakness that's only growing as far as I've seen (though I'm no Sinologist).
I think these ghost cities are eventually going to be filled. To me, it seems like the Chinese government is preparing for housing needs that will eventually arise with increased prosperity.

Good to see this thread being brought back to life! :sunglasses:

This thread will live on as long as this forum has a Rationalist community.

descartes_gif_luciodearaujo.gif

@Ren

What do you think of Thomas Sankara in the context of France?

I have do not quite know enough about the guy to make an informed judgement. What is your own position?

I have do not quite know enough about the guy to make an informed judgement. What is your own position?
I consider him French in a sense because of his nation's historical context. He reminds me of Napoleon but was killed early.

Last edited:
Democracy! I love democracy!

I like the idea of democracy in two spheres: work and government. A big problem I've found is that the great majority of businesses are organized in a vertical top-down structure- structural tyrannies.

Democracy! I love democracy!

I like the idea of democracy in two spheres: work and government. A big problem I've found is that the great majority of businesses are organized in a vertical top-down structure- structural tyrannies.
Problematic... because democracy in government is about consent (to be governed) rather than competence. If you wanted to design a system to choose the best statesman in the country, it wouldn't be democracy.

In business, the focus is more on competence/effectiveness in producing whatever good it happens to be. What value is democracy here?

Unless you're implying that the world of work is so intrinsic to our lives that tyranny here is indistinguishable from political tyranny, in which case you have a point.

Last edited by a moderator: