Rarities and Importance of Type | INFJ Forum

Rarities and Importance of Type

Stephanie

Regular Poster
Mar 15, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
So, I have not been able to come across any threads or posts that exactly cover what I've been thinking about lately, and I was wondering:

1. How much importance does typology really have? I give my type a lot of importance (I fear I give it too much) mainly because I like the idea of being a "we" (as in INFJs) better than "I." I prefer to feel as though I'm not completely unique. . . strange . . . different.

and

2. What INFJ things are truly rare? Sometimes I feel as though I do or think things that are so different from what most people do or think and then come to find out it's not so much, and sometimes I think there are things that everyone does, and then find out I'm completely alone in it!

(This is my very first thread and I'm very nervous about doing something wrong! Thank you for your patience.) :m136:

Don't be nervous, Stephanie! And to be honest, I've not seen that exact question on the board.

1. I think we make typology more important than it needs to be. It's nice to "belong" to a group that suddenly gets you when you weren't understood before, but we're all unique, even as INFJs. I think it's best to recognize that you're not crazy or misunderstood, but there are positives and negatives within all types. No type is better - or worse - than any other.

2. Good question. :D Like I said, we're all unique...and some things that are common to some aren't as common to all. Some things are just naturally quirky. I recommend a few of our threads about INFJs:

http://forum.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=2222&highlight=weird
http://forum.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=2853&highlight=weird
http://forum.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=468&highlight=un-infj

At least for a start!

See how that goes. You'll find similarities, and a lot of differences as well...because, yeah. We're all unique. ;)

It is more of a guide than an all inclusive, highly important rulebook of some sort.

Groupism is highly dangerous. Above all else, each person is an individual. If you read the forum for a long time you will soon notice how wrong people are when throwing around accusations based on MBTI type.

It seems better to me to compare MBTI types to people playing the same songs. The INFJs have the same tune in their head, but each person uses different instruments and has different rythem. So in a way we have a common bond, but we are all very different.

Type has helped me understand myself, but it is NOT (sorry, my italics is broken) who I am. As for rarities, I agree with Wyote that groupism is dangerous. While I'm more comfortable on this forum than I was on one that included all types, it's not an us vs them kind of thing. It's sort of the way I am with disability: I'm more comfortable around others with disabilities, but I have one or two able-bodied friends in my small circle of true friends and the only time it's an us vs them situation is when I'm dealing with bureaucrats. If that makes any sense.

1. It means nothing. It's just categorization which takes away from a person's individuality. It makes people feel like the fit in. Or, it makes other people feel like another person will understand them. MBTI in my opinion is the same as everything else we do; we put labels on ourselves to define ourselves, which seperates us from the herd and makes us more 'unique' as well as the same time groups us with people in a more narrow category who have similar interests as us.

2. See answer 1.

It seems better to me to compare MBTI types to people playing the same songs. The INFJs have the same tune in their head, but each person uses different instruments and has different rythem. So in a way we have a common bond, but we are all very different.

I love that!

When I initially discovered typology I was all for recruiting as many INFJs as possible, viva la cult! But it didn't take me long to recognize that it wouldn't be necessary. While I've mulled over the board, reading responses that sometime astonish me with the accuracy of 'hitting the nail on the head', I've become comforted. I'm beginning to notice during my day to day living that the traits I would suppress or ignore, I am now embracing fearlessly. Discovering my type lead to a self-discovery that has given me a sort of confidence which I was truly lacking.

Certainly check out the links arbygil posted, those sorts of threads are important culprits for my above mentioned revelations. This one had me sigh a heavy sigh of relief: http://forum.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=2781

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
Don't be nervous, Stephanie! And to be honest, I've not seen that exact question on the board.

1. I think we make typology more important than it needs to be. It's nice to "belong" to a group that suddenly gets you when you weren't understood before, but we're all unique, even as INFJs. I think it's best to recognize that you're not crazy or misunderstood, but there are positives and negatives within all types. No type is better - or worse - than any other.

seconded

I'm beginning to notice during my day to day living that the traits I would suppress or ignore, I am now embracing fearlessly. Discovering my type lead to a self-discovery that has given me a sort of confidence which I was truly lacking.

That is awesome!

I'm beginning to notice during my day to day living that the traits I would suppress or ignore, I am now embracing fearlessly. Discovering my type lead to a self-discovery that has given me a sort of confidence which I was truly lacking.

After living decades without the knowledge you folk have access to, I have become quite a new mind inside myself. I at first questioned if I was living two separate minds all those years and thus a false life to others. I felt bad enough to be somewhat ashamed, but did remember I wanted to be normal or have a bit of normalcy in my life. I wanted to be acceptable to a certain extent to others around me. Your two sentences there say an awful lot to me. I'm right there with you in a sense.
After a few months of being here and the minds that have reached out to touch mine, I feel little bits and pieces I had neatly tucked away starting to come out to be heard. I can almost imagine these little square grey pieces coming from the outermost parts of my mind into the center or core to begin to take shape of an almost new mind. Mind you, I held those pieces in mostly. I am remembering words I threw away 40 years ago. I get the dictionary out and look them up to make sure, but most of the time it was unnecessary. This forum and the kind folk here that have put up with me have really helped me to accept the part I wanted to not use in my earlier years because I wanted to be normal. The people that have known me for many years would question things I say here, but that is now alright with me. I almost feel like an artist that has had his hand in a sling forever and can now use it. I feel like a musician that has not been able to play an instrument for many years. This "sort of confidence" is allowing another me to take form and exist. I find myself like unto almost having two lifes to live now; one for those that knew me, and one for myself to get to know. I must learn how to introduce myself to my old friends someday. :bounce:
not that there are that many or they would care....

While I've mulled over the board, reading responses that sometime astonish me with the accuracy of 'hitting the nail on the head', I've become comforted. I'm beginning to notice during my day to day living that the traits I would suppress or ignore, I am now embracing fearlessly. Discovering my type lead to a self-discovery that has given me a sort of confidence which I was truly lacking.
While I've only just arrived I have to kind of second that. Coming here is a revelation for me because... well, dude, there are other people who think and act like me! I mean maybe not down to the details, but at least I don't feel like I'm some unique type of weirdo anymore, all alone in the world. I'm just different and my personality is somewhat rare, kind of clunky at times, but also beautiful, and that's okay!

Reactions: Lune Froide
i am truly in love with my type also and think that knowing there are other people like me is a gift
i love our eyes!!!!!!!!
i also agree though that where all totally different people, but we can nearly always relate to each other

Last edited:
It is more of a guide than an all inclusive, highly important rulebook of some sort.

Very nice metaphor and accurate too.