Questioning "introversion" | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Questioning "introversion"

Well the issue here is if we’re talking about MBTI, then yes. That statement would be very I; however, if we talk about Jungian functions, then that would indicate “unhealthy.” I put that in quotes so you don’t think I’m stating that YOU are indeed unhealthy. I have no clue, I’m just basing it off the idea that we all have extraverted and introverted functions that we use dynamically.

If you feel that you are completely introverted, in the jungian sense, then that means you might be in a dom/tert loop. NiTi. Doesn’t mean that you’re Fe is completely gone, it just means that your Ti is overshadowing your Fe and you’re become very focused on “introvert."

I am probably in an unhealthy state of my life and I am very Social last in the Enneagram sense.
I think I am an Ni dominant with well developed Ne, Ti and Fi, most likely Ni>Ne>Fi=Ti>Te=Fe>Si>Se.

Strictly speaking, I am not an INFJ or any one of the 16 MBTI types for that matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Limit
I am probably in an unhealthy state of my life and I am very Social last in the Enneagram sense.
I think I am an Ni dominant with well developed Ne, Ti and Fi, most likely Ni>Ne>Fi=Ti>Te=Fe>Si>Se.

Strictly speaking, I am not an INFJ or any one of the 16 MBTI types for that matter.

*waves* thank you for admitting that. :)

i really enjoy your posts in the enneagram section, but I wanted to point out to you that you can

I much prefer the Eysenck model of introversion and extroversion. In this model these are both relative terms along a continuous scale based on how high an individuals default levels of cortical arousal are. Everyone is more comfortable and productive at medium levels of cortical arousal (the Yerkes-Dodson Law), and everyone has this arousal increased by the stress of interacting with others. In those who are relatively introverted it is easy to pass the point of healthy stress levels into the area where one does not function well, while in those who are extroverted external stimulation is needed in order to reach the comfort level. Since strangers are a major stresser while those who are intimately known cause hardly any stimulation at all, introverts tend to crave greater intimacy while extroverts fear intimacy and prefer more superficial relationships.

Just like magister mentioned, Introversion and Extroversion are no made up concepts, they are real and manifest in our neural physiology; and most importantly there is nothing wrong with either.

[source]

The bolded pretty much speaks for itself.

Here, you can also see how some Extroverts frequently mistype themselves.
These concepts are entirely new to me. I find them very helpful for understanding my (Jungian) introversion better. Thank you very much for posting this information.

Ye, I'm an extravert but I can't stand parties, so I used to think I was an introvert.

Introversion is way keep input while it is handled. In that state external stimulation (including social communication) can be interference. Extraversion is a way when data is handled while giving it back.
Everybody has these two functions. Neither of them are related to sociality or definetely not wth social skills.

And yet still, she discusses how stimuli affects her and her friend - that both enjoyed the party, but at the end one wanted to recharge while the other didn't need to recharge. I think there's merit in that as well, despite the MBTI designation. She understood Jung's POV, at any rate.

*lurks in topic*

I would definitely be the girl in this equation. I love my parties, but after a good hang out I long for nothing more than to go home and be alone.

But I hate reading. blehhhhh

I dunno, when I imagine introverts I always think cool mysterious person that you want to ask questions for hours on end, but cant, because they get sick of being around people and shut their room to their door to be on the computer, read a book, or do maniacal science experiments that end up blowing half the basement.

No doubt in my mind that being introverted is -totally- awesome.

I'm beginning to question the term "introversion" - since the connotations especially based on popular misconception are often negative. It suggests a desire not to interact or engage with people or a tendency to withdraw from people and society, to be antisocial, etc. And many introverts, as clearly as this site demonstrates, are rarely many of these things even if they aren't very social irl.
Actually, this describes me fairly accurately most of the time.

Ignore negative connotations. There is no reason that being introverted should be a bad thing, and no reason to believe that introversion is a bad thing. That only happens because the predominant types don't like it. The masses are EF's, I think, but the world is controlled by IT's. Anyway, most people have very specific "moral codes" which they adhere to and that causes extreme bias against people unlike them. Introverts are perhaps some of the most discriminated against.

(The above paragraph is mostly speculation, but may be true)

You mentioned introversion possibly becoming a "self-fulfilling prophecy." Couldn't this happen with any type, or typology as a whole? Eg. a person takes the test, gets a type, doesn't quite agree with all of it, subconsciously changes their attitudes and behavior to more or less "fit" that type better. Another thing is where the descriptions are sometimes so vague, that they can be interpreted in many different ways, so even if the descriptions doesn't "fit," you can find a way to make it fit (the Forer Effect). This is why it is recommended to not merely take the test and read the type, but to study the theory more in-depth. It is necessary to see it as generalizations rather than specifics. The test and descriptions mean nothing.

Maybe all the negative connotation with the word 'introvert' does make one see introverts in a negative light, but I think that some types have a tendency to do that anyway. I think some of the temperaments have a tendency to look at others or themselves more negatively. For example, being unassertive, extremely self-conscious, or having low self-esteem. Most would consider this "bad," but I am not sure I could say I believe that.

Introversion, denotatively, is nothing bad. Look at it that way instead of applying all the biases and interpretations and connotations. It does more harm than good to do so.